Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:40:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuck sakes, my 78 yr old dad fell for the biggest scam evar -NEW Update TODAY!  (Read 2429 times)
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 8003

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 06:24:28 AM

Sounds like everything worked out for the best.  Maybe your dad will have a little more respect for your knowledge of all things computer now as well.
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jmintuck1912 (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 07:01:03 AM

I really hope that this is a GOLDEN lesson to listen to me when I say anything along these lines.
x|8y8|x

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 07:04:05 AM

So Mum, Dad and I go for coffee today and dad tells me that something happened in his computer that smelled SO MUCH of ransomware.

So I figure it WAS ransomware and it gave a phone number to call to get "rid" of it and unlock it. So dad calls the number and:

first of all, there are 10 voices talking 4 different languages in the background, AKA sounds of a boiler room.

Next, they got into his computer, he thinks,

No proper English,

Never heard of ransomware with a phone number attached to it until lately,

Cost was atrocious and didn't sound even remotely right

Claims to have been from Microsoft, AKA the Microsoft scam.

Actual cost of this was CAD $600!

Mom revealed to me what had happened that he hid from me earlier when I asked HER and not dad. Dad did not seem ashamed. I got so FUCKING MAD!

Dad finally "confessed to me after" to confirm this. Now he is out CAD $600.

I couldn't have been madder or my language at its worst around my parents, and I NEVER talk shit like that unless real true shit happens. I was saying pardon my French a few times.

I am so embarrassed for Mum. When Dad got that computer at his age, I KNEW dad was playing with fire,m I just knew it. Now he got burned.

I was a sitting duck on the lakeside watching this whole FUCKING affair crash and burn

sad news but ransomware are really! Sad
Iseecookies

Activity: 84

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 04:48:00 AM

Its interesting that phone lines are still unable to block spoofed numbers or out of country calls. Sure you could achieve these things easy yet they allow people to be scammed every day in this manner.
forumgirl21

Activity: 12

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 08:40:43 AM

So Mum, Dad and I go for coffee today and dad tells me that something happened in his computer that smelled SO MUCH of ransomware.

So I figure it WAS ransomware and it gave a phone number to call to get "rid" of it and unlock it. So dad calls the number and:

first of all, there are 10 voices talking 4 different languages in the background, AKA sounds of a boiler room.

Next, they got into his computer, he thinks,

No proper English,

Never heard of ransomware with a phone number attached to it until lately,

Cost was atrocious and didn't sound even remotely right

Claims to have been from Microsoft, AKA the Microsoft scam.

Actual cost of this was CAD $600!

Mom revealed to me what had happened that he hid from me earlier when I asked HER and not dad. Dad did not seem ashamed. I got so FUCKING MAD!

Dad finally "confessed to me after" to confirm this. Now he is out CAD $600.

I couldn't have been madder or my language at its worst around my parents, and I NEVER talk shit like that unless real true shit happens. I was saying pardon my French a few times.

I am so embarrassed for Mum. When Dad got that computer at his age, I KNEW dad was playing with fire,m I just knew it. Now he got burned.

I was a sitting duck on the lakeside watching this whole FUCKING affair crash and burn

He's still your dad.
jmintuck1912 (OP)

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 01:50:44 PM

I have now come to peace with this now that it has seemed to blow over by now and doesn't seem to be a mega-issue now. I forgave him, but just felt so awful at the time.

I just do not feel as roughed up by this as I was a few days ago.
dilution007

Activity: 62

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 07:42:51 AM

what a shame!

hermanhs09

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 07, 2016, 07:54:28 AM

Jesus. I really feel sorry for you and your family, lol. Malware and adware, as well as common scams are the worst thing to fall for... Especially with an older person who is most vulnerable. And 600 dollars isn't a small amount either.

So really, fuck those hackers. I hate them. They ruin everything.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: