Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:59:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The end of Alt-Coins  (Read 4524 times)
The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:56:17 PM

The problem with the flood of alt coins is not the people that are making them for a quick pump and dump, it's the stoopid exchanges that are accepting them. Buy endorsing a coin that is only going to go downwards, you create people that are either scared off or bored with alt coins, either way you loose business, exchanges need coins that slowly rise in value to attract more investors and transactions. Imagine if the stock market worked the same way as the alt coin exchanges and there was no due diligence for an IPO, nobody would buy shares!

Let those exchanges accept all the alt coin they want. They'll lose credibility and soon crumble.

why???

they are providing a service, no one forces anyone to buy and they make money off the trades...

Because in my opinion if they are allowing all alt coins to be traded on their sites then that truly does show that they're just in it for the money. ONly coins with true potential should be taken seriously all other pump and dump coins should be ignored they aren't that useful for anything other than hoarding and hopeful that they provide something of use that BTC or LTC can't.
The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:59:36 PM

I'll keep this short and sweet. There are now so many alt-coins that it has become the same thing as hyperinflation. The value of alt-coins is trending towards zero. Great job guys!  Grin

I still intend to launch ThirdCoin, around 2016-11-11T03:57:33Z (estimated time of the next Bitcoin halving).  Thirdcoin will have a testnet, which I should probably launch earlier.

When I see the improvements from FirstCoin to SecondCoin. I literally can't wait for ThirdCoin.

LOL
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:02:32 PM

Because in my opinion if they are allowing all alt coins to be traded on their sites then that truly does show that they're just in it for the money. ONly coins with true potential should be taken seriously all other pump and dump coins should be ignored they aren't that useful for anything other than hoarding and hopeful that they provide something of use that BTC or LTC can't.

Seems to me it's for the market to decide what coins are worthy of attention.
The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 07:09:08 AM

The problem with the flood of alt coins is not the people that are making them for a quick pump and dump, it's the stoopid exchanges that are accepting them. Buy endorsing a coin that is only going to go downwards, you create people that are either scared off or bored with alt coins, either way you loose business, exchanges need coins that slowly rise in value to attract more investors and transactions. Imagine if the stock market worked the same way as the alt coin exchanges and there was no due diligence for an IPO, nobody would buy shares!

Let those exchanges accept all the alt coin they want. They'll lose credibility and soon crumble.

why???

they are providing a service, no one forces anyone to buy and they make money off the trades...

You mean there is something I can buy or whatever with LTC but I can't do it with BTC? If usefulness is the keyword, there is no need to deal with any other cryptocoin but BTC.
LTC hasn't moved even a bit from the path BTC traced for itself. The only thing LTC community did is copy some of the services BTC had covered already. Since it is so, it is highly
likely LTC will be replaced by some more advanced altcoin before BTC ends up replaced as well.

It is trolls following fontas and some other scammers plus "LTC on Gox soon" forever-echoing crap that make you and people like you think that LTC is something special. It is not.

If you think BTC, LTC or some other cryptocoin will be successful in the long run just because people already put time, money and effort in it you are wrong. General public does not
care about that.

I'm sure all crypto coins have their expiration date but it's pretty easy to tell what coins are just seriously made for the hell of it and which are innovative. For the time being however it's best that we improve the coins that are most mainstream and useful but in the end to each his own. I'm not calling all alt coins useless I'm just saying that many were poorly developed. The creator probably intended for them to be a pump and dump.
digicoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 11:06:11 AM

Too many altcoins that look the same.  Yes, hyperinflation. And yes, altcoins are dead
jlspartz

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 12:31:22 PM

At this rate a good new alt coin can't survive. I know I don't intend on reading through 10 new coin announcements a day to figure out their potential worth.
mercSuey

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 12:46:01 PM

At this rate a good new alt coin can't survive. I know I don't intend on reading through 10 new coin announcements a day to figure out their potential worth.

Whatever would you do if you had to invest in the stock market...?  Wink
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 02:11:20 PM

At this rate a good new alt coin can't survive.

No evidence to support that, as I haven't seen a new good alt coin fail to survive.

I think there is always a market for a good new anything.  But going to Github and changing some names and logos and recompiling and calling it a "new alt coin" is never going to create a good alt coin.
Aditer

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:00:29 PM

Fortunately I sold my all altcoins for BTC (except ELC, but I've mined it solo, for fun) and BTC for $. I hope that BTC will by still something worth for next few months...
digitalfog

Activity: 53

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:26:26 PM

Alt Coins dead?  Not yet:

1.  Just wait for the next financial crisis.  (It will most likely come from another European nation.)
2.  A failed loving nanny state nation will declare another "bail-in".  (Depositors lose their funds to the banks.)
3.  People freak out again and look for alternatives.  (Crypto-coins being one alternative.)
4.  Bitcoin takes off. 
5.  Every financial blogger in the world will write another tranche of "alternative crypto-currencies" stories.
6.  A favored few alt coins take off.  (Most likely the coins *currently listed on bter, vircurex, btc-e.)
7.  Alt-coins blow-off when miners and those in the know cash out or convert to Bitcoin.
8.  Bitcoin operates at a new higher currency value. 
9.  Another 1000 posts and blogs titled:  "The End of Alt-Coins" appear.
10.  Dry.  Rinse.  Repeat.
ondratra

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:28:05 PM

well i think the most probability to die has coins without services - i mean almost every new altcoin has ofc explorer, exchange and most of them have lottos - but does they add anything special? Anything that would drive people to buy the coin and spend it somewhere??

The altcoins "Hunger games" will be won by altcoins which will create innovative services or at least something unusual for new coins (like stocks, etc.)
Kohloe

Activity: 39

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:59:50 PM

Altcoins are crap. No one needs them and their benefits are tending to zero. Most of them don't even have any.

Altcoins just exist coz ppl like you and me are greedy. And other may be stupid. OFC the reason for existing does not matter as long as they are. But all altcoin markets will crash. If we are really lucky there will be one survivor of this rape.

The cpu minerd one? (YAC)
the fastest one? (worldcoin)
the fairest one? (elacoin)
..or a simple copy of btc?

If I knew I wouldn't tell you.
shiv

Activity: 54

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:03:51 PM

lol "let the coin mature before hitting exchanges"

= "let me mine for a while before hitting exchanges so I can sell it all then move on to the next altcoin"
jlspartz

Activity: 205

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:18:26 PM

Whatever would you do if you had to invest in the stock market...?  Wink

Lol, I've done day trading in the past (3 years straight while working full time) and made off well on it. Took too much time though. Stocks and coins aren't comparable to me. Stocks don't usually get announced and go belly up in the same week haha
jomay

Activity: 167

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:37:41 PM

Lol, I've done day trading in the past (3 years straight while working full time) and made off well on it. Took too much time though. Stocks and coins aren't comparable to me. Stocks don't usually get announced and go belly up in the same week haha

Facebook was close to it, though Cheesy

BTC 1NoV8NFSB7eiuK2aABFtBTdUdXhbEdG7Ss
LTC LaFyWSfzKY7CKwwmbxhyf8S2iJvfT7JFtL YAC YKKwR5B64Z9ww971J42vEGVPaema623Tz6
jomay

Activity: 167

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:40:55 PM

I'll keep this short and sweet. There are now so many alt-coins that it has become the same thing as hyperinflation. The value of alt-coins is trending towards zero. Great job guys!  Grin

Does anybody think this might be the plot of some BTC fanatics that want to hurt altcoins in general? Like some core dev of BTC releasing a few altcoins with a second forum id?

Most new coins were released by new forum members and I can only speculate these are secondary ids of people longer in the game.

BTC 1NoV8NFSB7eiuK2aABFtBTdUdXhbEdG7Ss
LTC LaFyWSfzKY7CKwwmbxhyf8S2iJvfT7JFtL YAC YKKwR5B64Z9ww971J42vEGVPaema623Tz6
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:56:08 PM

Does anybody think this might be the plot of some BTC fanatics that want to hurt altcoins in general? Like some core dev of BTC releasing a few altcoins with a second forum id?

Most new coins were released by new forum members and I can only speculate these are secondary ids of people longer in the game.

Never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity/greed.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: