Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:36:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum moderation policy  (Read 960388 times)
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 12:58:00 PM

what about daily "bumping up my post" posts?

No more than once daily. You shouldn't bump a post too many times in a row. Bumping shouldn't be annoying. Delete old "bump" posts so they don't clutter up the topic.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 02:36:11 PM

what about daily "bumping up my post" posts?

No more than once daily. You shouldn't bump a post too many times in a row. Bumping shouldn't be annoying. Delete old "bump" posts so they don't clutter up the topic.

Interesting policy. I consider pure bump posts very very rude. If I can't make up any """news""", I don't bump my threads.

If bumping is all fine with the mods, could you please introduce a checkbox "bump up once per day" so I can bump it without cluttering it with "/bump" posts? Aka I don't agree with pure bumping being all fine as it is the opposite of the often requested feature of rating posts and threads.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
sublime5447
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 04:40:15 PM

1. Free speech
5. No NSFW content

Please read 5, then read 1, then read 5, then read 1 and tell me if you see a problem.

Can I say "fat cock" if I present it in a calm and polite manner?

I like Alex A+. There needs to be a place for people to say what ever they want. Then there needs to be a place that is women and young person friendly. The newbie forum would be a excellent place for full rule enforcement the trading forum not so much. If you can let the people know clearly what kind of room their in they will generally self regulate the content. If we develop and area for "serious" transactions that is clearly marked with expected behavior clearly posted then you wont have to spend so much time micromanaging. 
luckyindia

Activity: 129
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 11:18:56 PM

All sections have moderators.....but there is no moderator for INDIA..Please nominate a moderator
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 09:22:26 PM

People come here for the entertainment as much as the information so please don't doosh the forum with restrictive censorship.

Its been pretty lax so far Tongue

betafall

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 02:26:32 AM

The policy to not remove anything worked when the forum was small. Now that we have thousands of posts a day, we can't afford 50% of them being junk. The moderators are now instructed to be less tolerant of low-value posts.

Some guidelines:

1. Free speech - you can say anything as long as it is relevant and presented in a calm and polite manner. Swearing, SHOUTING etc. make your post more likely to be removed.
2. No zero value posts or threads, like "SELL SELL SELL"
3. No pointless or uninteresting threads.
4. No referral code spam
5. No NSFW content

A step in a wrong direction. Now moderators will decide which posts have "low value", which posts are "uninteresting" or "pointless". In practice moderators will delete everything they don't like. The words "free speech" above are thus an obvious lie.

Completely agree. I think the moderator is on a power trip and definitely giving more favor to larger companies. I asked the moderator  in the general discussion to please clarify why some service announcements are allowed (eg. Dentist accepting Bitcoin, Bitpay announcements, etc.) and others are moved to the services announcement page.

My request to clarify post was promptly moved to the "other/meta" thread. lol. I think there's a kickback system going on here. I will be starting a reddit post to try to give this more attention. New services are being shutout at the discretion of the moderator.   
luckyindia

Activity: 129

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 03:29:34 AM

Limited Liberty is ok. Too much of Liberty is dangerous as it may affect the interests of other members. Anything may be stated as long as the interests of a majority of members are not affected.
NedKLee

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 12:58:25 PM

After 9 years regular army and a lifetime as an interstate truck driver, I believe I've heard it all, but expletive suffused posts still drive me spare, so I excersise my own form of moderation, if you can't express yourself in a Proper manner than I will simply ignore your post, no matter how relevant, informative or interesting it may be.

I've been part of ( and still am) many forums where offensive language is simply not tolerated, likewise with personal attacks involving race, creed, colour or religion, sexual proclivities or otherwise, yet the debate still remains robust.

Free speech by all means, but with free speech comes responsibility too and a limitless courtesy and respect go a long way.
claire

Activity: 98

Capitalism rocks my world.

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 11:01:15 PM

oh i guess my avatar isn't safe for work probably....

I Love Bitcoin Smiley 1A5jmQcmZamhTeHaEZvtMEpoqrH2SECcxk
Phone Domination 888-221-0319
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 11:07:11 PM

I think it's kinda borderline.  We'll see if we get any complaints first.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:26:12 AM

I think it's kinda borderline.  We'll see if we get any complaints first.

I'd suggest changing it, I wouldn't want that showing up on my computer at work.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 05:33:06 PM

If you work at the FED, yeah, it is NSFW Wink

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Alpaca John

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:16:05 AM

Main thing I ever see enforced is a loose concept of "scammer" with tags being applied to various users for various reasons which don't seem to be well documented in a conspicuous way / nowhere I've seen in forums explains the exact definition of scammer (comprehensively or otherwise)

I'm glad you don't see moderation. I hate it when moderation is intrusive on forums.

Like when the mods imposed their own ideologies in the sidebar of r/bitcoin? And refused to remove it even though a clear majority wants to get rid of them?

Yeah, I hate that too.
bernard75
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 04:32:11 PM

Main thing I ever see enforced is a loose concept of "scammer" with tags being applied to various users for various reasons which don't seem to be well documented in a conspicuous way / nowhere I've seen in forums explains the exact definition of scammer (comprehensively or otherwise)

I'm glad you don't see moderation. I hate it when moderation is intrusive on forums.

I find the trust system and its future implementation quite intrusive.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2013, 05:05:24 PM

Banning people for insults etc. is a one way trip to making the forum deserted, considering how vague rules usually are it means you could get banned for calling a moderator out for being a power tripping douchebag, I can't believe how many people are missing the ignore function, it's perfectly easy to use and great at blocking people from annoying you when you're having a discussion.
faiza1990

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

★☆★777Coin★☆★

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 06:14:39 PM

Is there a thing anywhere (navigation link, sticky or otherwise) which explains the moderation and/or spammer guidelines?

TitanBTC

Activity: 366
Merit: 258

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 08:55:52 PM

Are moderators really reading through every post to determine if its valuable or not?  How do we call attention to posts that really suck?  Can we ban people of low intelligence?  Is it right to do so?

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 05:48:53 PM

Are moderators really reading through every post to determine if its valuable or not? 

Not anymore.

How do we call attention to posts that really suck?

The report button.

Can we ban people of low intelligence?  Is it right to do so?

We could, but no, that wouldn't be proper.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 06:41:44 PM

Love is not only for beautiful people, and Bitcoins are not only for intelligent, wealthy people. -TippingPoint

ManBearPig

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

"Don't go in the trollbox, trollbox, trollbox"

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 12:04:13 PM

I've no interest in participating in any forum whose rules take longer than 3 seconds to read.

But yes, subjectivity is your main problem: a lot of uninteresting posts are entertaining, a lot of entertaining posts are uninteresting.

Repeat ad nauseum.

Would hate to see this please get legislated into oblivion.

I tweet crypto nonsense: https://twitter.com/DunningKruger_
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: