Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:00:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] - Stumptown Miners - Avalon PCB Assembly - West Coast USA  (Read 30668 times)
redphlegm

Activity: 246
Merit: 250

My spoon is too big!

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 07:04:53 PM

Regarding overclocking: it does not appear that the first revision of the Klondike boards will be overclockable. BkkCoins is planning on making an overclockable revision once the current revision has been proven to work.

Do you want to wait for an overclockable version of the Klondike boards? This will likely mean we get our miners later than if we didn't wait, but it also means we will have the option of overclocking to achieve performance gains of 20% to 30%.

Please let me know your preference so we can decide on a direction.

Thanks,

Ryan

Maybe I'm alone here but isn't the base clock speed the base clock speed because anything over that would / could result in failure or HW errors? I'm not sure I'd want to chance overclocking if it was going to mean potential quick burnout of the chips.

Whiskey Fund: (BTC) 1whiSKeYMRevsJMAQwU8NY1YhvPPMjTbM | (Ψ) ALcoHoLsKUfdmGfHVXEShtqrEkasihVyqW

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ryepdx (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 07:20:21 PM

Maybe I'm alone here but isn't the base clock speed the base clock speed because anything over that would / could result in failure or HW errors? I'm not sure I'd want to chance overclocking if it was going to mean potential quick burnout of the chips.

It depends on how cool you can keep your chips and whether the rest of the hardware on the board can handle the increased voltage demand from the chips. Right now the Klondike's hardware cannot handle the increased voltage demand that would come with overclocking. However, I've seen a number of Avalon miners on the boards say they've bumped their chips up to around 350Mh/s and 375Mh/s without much trouble. Yifu has insinuated that the chips can easily do better than their base clock rate, too, and I've heard people talking about a theoretical limit of 450Mh/s.

But you're right, overclocking would be dangerous and you would likely shorten the lifespan of your chips. If we decide to wait for the overclockable revision, the miners I ship would still be at their base clock speed. It would be up to you to overclock them.
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 09:44:27 PM

we are still on schedule to get one of the first finished boards right? Should be interesting.. I am guessing August rollout at the latest?

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 09:46:05 PM

Assuming the majority votes to go with revision 1 of the board and not wait for an overclockable version, yes.
DPoS

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 09:50:54 PM

Assuming the majority votes to go with revision 1 of the board and not wait for an overclockable version, yes.

sounds good, revision 1 for sure (difficulty curve vs waiting for overclocking is a wash at best)

any savings you get on costs you can keep as a tip from my order if all goes as planned

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
TomKeddie

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 02:16:47 AM

Can you confirm which heatsink design you're proposing?

Since people are in different chip batches I guess you're hoping to use someone like Colin who might only charge full setup once (PnP programming etc) even if the assembly batches are spread over time?

If you use Colin we might be able to split off Canadian orders and ship them direct.  Provided the volume is moderate I could act as the distributor for free.  We can meet in Portland in mid july so you can verify my identity etc.

I have some uncommitted chips with Steamboat in the same batch as you guys (I think I bought 34 in batch 3), give the potential shipping savings this could be the right deal for me.
spinner

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 02:59:07 AM

sounds good, revision 1 for sure (difficulty curve vs waiting for overclocking is a wash at best)

any savings you get on costs you can keep as a tip from my order if all goes as planned

Just chiming in.  I'm also partial to version 1
ThatBitcoinGuy

Activity: 36

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 05:10:12 AM

I'll also vote for Version I...  I think the hot-rodding can wait a little bit.  Smiley

Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 10:25:35 AM
Last edit: June 28, 2013, 03:41:46 PM by Bicknellski

I'll also vote for Version I...  I think the hot-rodding can wait a little bit.  Smiley

Till you see the competition...

We all might be thankful that BKKCoins can with little time and testing get an overclocked version 2 out in time for even the earliest orders. I for one will be waiting for Ver 2.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
spanishfry

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 01:20:20 PM

order submitted for my K16's.  Thanks rye
bigbeninlondon

Activity: 742

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 01:37:23 PM

Hey ryepdx, I'm curious.  Once the initial orders from group buys are finished, will you continue to operate your assembly business for any length of time?  I may end up with some extra chips after the fur has finished flying, and I'm trying to get more info on some one-off K1s.  What's your long term plan for this, if any?
ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 03:17:59 PM

I'll also vote for Version I...  I think the hot-rodding can wait a little bit.  Smiley

I just want to make sure we're clear on this: you won't be able to "hot-rod" your miner if we go with version 1, unless you're willing to remove some of the chips from your board. Based on the discussion in the Klondike thread, it sounds like version 2 will, aside from using different components, have a slightly different PCB design as well.

We all might be thankful that BKKCoins cans with little time and testing get an overclocked version 2 out in time for even the earliest orders. I for one will be waiting for Ver 2.

I admit I'm also hoping for a timely version 2. I personally would like overclockable miners, so if the consensus here is to go with version 1, then I may just order more boards and have mine populated with 14 chips instead of 16. (Depends, of course, on how difficulty looks at that point in time.)
ThatBitcoinGuy

Activity: 36

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 03:41:12 PM

All right-- you talked me into it.  Assuming the delay (if any) is going to be modest, I'm certainly glad to have the added versatility of overclocking potential, so let's go ahead and see how Version 2 shakes out.  

(I mean, honestly-- if you're willing to wait, that speaks volumes, since you've got a **lot** more skin in this game than I do!)

ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 03:45:02 PM

(I mean, honestly-- if you're willing to wait, that speaks volumes, since you've got a **lot** more skin in this game than I do!)

Haha. Thanks. All of this is a gamble, of course. But I feel like having the ability to overclock will make us more competitive in the longer run, and give us a better shot at turning a profit.
Kushedout
Legendary

Activity: 1123

SaluS - (SLS)

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 03:49:09 PM

+1 for v.2. I think BBK will have the revised version ready prior to ryepdx receiving the chips and placing the order. If not, then I am OK with just going with v.1

Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 03:50:13 PM

It is a hard choice...

There are too many variables really be certain. My feeling given the progress and confidence of BKKCoins he will give us something. Even with the V1 K16 300 GH/s and a bit more might be possible. But really if it is between a 1 to 2 week wait for V2 then I think that might be worth it in the longer term over a 14 chip solution.

I wish you guys the best of luck hope it works out for us all.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Kushedout
Legendary

Activity: 1123

SaluS - (SLS)

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 03:50:26 PM

btw, I need to replace my order, I got few more chips for Zefir to round up my  order.

ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 03:54:55 PM

btw, I need to replace my order, I got few more chips for Zefir to round up my  order.

Okay. If you want to change any of the things on your previous order, go ahead and email or PM me. But if you got, say, 16 chips and want one more K16, then you should be able to just place another order. I'll be packaging up things according to address, so if you have multiple orders from the same group buy, they will ship together.
DPoS

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 07:10:32 PM

I'll also vote for Version I...  I think the hot-rodding can wait a little bit.  Smiley

We all might be thankful that BKKCoins can with little time and testing get an overclocked version 2 out in time for even the earliest orders. I for one will be waiting for Ver 2.

the best defense is to hedge and be quick..  buy from each offerring but never slow the train

Vycid

Activity: 336

♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 04:49:08 AM

So, has anyone heard any rumblings about the Avalon chips? We're nearing the promised ship date... 1-2 weeks, probably.

As for pressing boards, do we have any kind of ETA on that? I know BKK is still working on his design.

By the way, ryepdx: can you confirm receipt of my payment? There was only a pass-through webpage when I ordered to serve as a reciept. I kinda wish it'd emailed me.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: