Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:28:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reset GPU without resetting rig  (Read 6343 times)
drlukacs (OP)

Activity: 854
Merit: 253

l0tt0.com

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 02:17:07 AM

Is there a way to reset a locked GPU without restarting the entire rig (i.e., soft-reset)?

WHIRLWIND
|
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
        ▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀▄▄         █
     ▄▄██▀▀▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄        █A
    ▄██▀▄██▀▄▀▀▀ ▄▄ ▄▄▄▄     █
   ███ ██▀▄▀     ▄▄▀▄▄ ▀█▄   █
  ███ ███ █        ▀▄ █▄ ██  █
  ███ ███ █         █ ██ ██  █
  ███ ███ █        ▄▀ █▀ ██  █
   ███ ██▄▀▄     ▀▀▄▀▀ ▄█▀   █
    ▀██▄▀██▄▀▄▄▄ ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀     █
     ▀▀██▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀        █
        ▀▀▀██▄▄▄▄▄▀▀         █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
  No Fee    Ultimate Privacy  
ANONYMITY
MINING CAMPAIGN
MIX NOW
|

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
computerparts

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 08:30:38 AM

no
Slave2school

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 11:29:21 AM

If it was just the amd driver failure then YES! I've found with my setup that if I enable and then disable crossfire it resets the driver if that is all that has crashed after playing with o/c settings.
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 11:34:31 AM

Or just go in to cgminer menu and do a GPU reset. 
drlukacs (OP)

l0tt0.com

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 02:34:04 PM

If it was just the amd driver failure then YES! I've found with my setup that if I enable and then disable crossfire it resets the driver if that is all that has crashed after playing with o/c settings.

I am referring to a case where the GPU gets locked up, and it is declared SICK/DEAD by cgminer.

WHIRLWIND
|
        ▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀▄▄         █
        ▀▀▀██▄▄▄▄▄▀▀         █
ANONYMITY
MINING CAMPAIGN
MIX NOW
|
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 06:50:53 PM

I am referring to a case where the GPU gets locked up, and it is declared SICK/DEAD by cgminer.

Generally if the GPU is sick / dead that means the system survived an AMD driver reset already - hence the gpu stopped responding in CGMINER. I wrote a script in windows to restart cgminer if such a situation has occurred because, after restarting cgminer it continues mining w/ all GPU's once again.

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
drlukacs (OP)

l0tt0.com

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 09:21:12 PM

Generally if the GPU is sick / dead that means the system survived an AMD driver reset already - hence the gpu stopped responding in CGMINER. I wrote a script in windows to restart cgminer if such a situation has occurred because, after restarting cgminer it continues mining w/ all GPU's once again.

In Linux, I find that it is impossible to completely quit (or kill) cgminer in such situations.

WHIRLWIND
|
        ▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀▄▄         █
        ▀▀▀██▄▄▄▄▄▀▀         █
ANONYMITY
MINING CAMPAIGN
MIX NOW
|
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1630

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 12:09:26 AM

There is no way to reset it in linux if the driver crashes. It requires a reboot.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 12:35:57 AM

There is no way to reset it in linux if the driver crashes. It requires a reboot.
didnt know that, well theres another good reason to mine on windows =P
which is all Ive ever done =)

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
drlukacs (OP)

l0tt0.com

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 12:53:50 AM

What is the reason that this is possible in Windows? Is the Linux driver different, or is it something to do with cgminer?

WHIRLWIND
|
        ▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀▄▄         █
        ▀▀▀██▄▄▄▄▄▀▀         █
ANONYMITY
MINING CAMPAIGN
MIX NOW
|
Bitweasil

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 01:16:35 AM

It's mostly that the AMD drivers suck.

I'm guessing if you check your dmesg output you'll see something about an ASIC hang.  That's pretty much it for a GPU until it's re-initialized with a reboot.

Need high quality, rack mountable GPU clusters for OpenCL work or password auditing?  http://www.stricture-group.com/
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 01:26:35 AM

What is the reason that this is possible in Windows? Is the Linux driver different, or is it something to do with cgminer?
Cgminer can't keep mining on windows either, even if your driver does reset, the existing cgminer is tied to the old driver. The difference is the windows AMD driver is better than the linux AMD driver because the windows driver uses a different model where it can detach a crashed driver and then attach a fresh one. On linux, because AMD do not work with the linux kernel crew and provide a driver not supported by the linux kernel development process, it wedges itself into the kernel as best as it can which means that when the driver crashes, the linux kernel actually becomes corrupted and any process attached to it (such as cgminer) is hung in an unrecoverable state and only a reboot will fix it.

-ck
ISAWHIM

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 01:27:10 AM

The issue is because each card is assigned an ID. When the card fails, and is reset, it has a new ID, and cgminer is trying to talk to the old ID. (Thus, the old ID appears dead.)

If it is failing, you don't want it to keep running. You want to make adjustments so it does not fail. (Otherwise you will kill your hardware for good, if it keeps rebooting and using the "crashing" settings.)

Turn down your clock a few notches, or bump-up your volts a bit, or try adding more memclocks if you have those down real low. (Unless it is a temperature issue, or PSU supply issue... then you need to reduce voltage and clocks, so it draws less power and runs cooler.)
drlukacs (OP)

l0tt0.com

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 01:51:34 AM

Cgminer can't keep mining on windows either, even if your driver does reset, the existing cgminer is tied to the old driver. The difference is the windows AMD driver is better than the linux AMD driver because the windows driver uses a different model where it can detach a crashed driver and then attach a fresh one. On linux, because AMD do not work with the linux kernel crew and provide a driver not supported by the linux kernel development process, it wedges itself into the kernel as best as it can which means that when the driver crashes, the linux kernel actually becomes corrupted and any process attached to it (such as cgminer) is hung in an unrecoverable state and only a reboot will fix it.

I see. Getting something changed on the AMD end is almost hopeless, I guess, so I do wonder, is there a way to fix this (at least in part) on the end of cgminer?

WHIRLWIND
|
        ▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀▄▄         █
        ▀▀▀██▄▄▄▄▄▀▀         █
ANONYMITY
MINING CAMPAIGN
MIX NOW
|
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 02:52:00 AM

I see. Getting something changed on the AMD end is almost hopeless, I guess, so I do wonder, is there a way to fix this (at least in part) on the end of cgminer?
What exactly would you have cgminer do? It can usually keep adjusting fanspeeds and gpu engine speeds, but it is attached to the driver in such a way that it can't detach itself, and since the machine needs a reboot to fix the corruption, I'm not sure what you expect cgminer to do about it?

-ck
drlukacs (OP)

l0tt0.com

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 03:13:00 AM

What exactly would you have cgminer do? It can usually keep adjusting fanspeeds and gpu engine speeds, but it is attached to the driver in such a way that it can't detach itself, and since the machine needs a reboot to fix the corruption, I'm not sure what you expect cgminer to do about it?

I guess you already answered the question: "it is attached to the driver in such a way that it can't detach itself".

I was wondering if this can be changed.

WHIRLWIND
|
        ▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀▄▄         █
        ▀▀▀██▄▄▄▄▄▀▀         █
ANONYMITY
MINING CAMPAIGN
MIX NOW
|
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 06:15:50 AM

I guess you already answered the question: "it is attached to the driver in such a way that it can't detach itself".

I was wondering if this can be changed.
But the system needs rebooting and the device is unusable. What is the purpose of detaching cgminer from the device?

-ck
drlukacs (OP)

l0tt0.com

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 03:16:04 PM

But the system needs rebooting and the device is unusable. What is the purpose of detaching cgminer from the device?

To try to unload the driver and reload it.

WHIRLWIND
|
        ▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀▄▄         █
        ▀▀▀██▄▄▄▄▄▀▀         █
ANONYMITY
MINING CAMPAIGN
MIX NOW
|
GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 03:53:35 PM

Thats why I wrote a watchdog script, in windows, for dead / sick GPU's through the API then it simply restarts cgminer on a windows machine and continues mining like normal.

drlukacs (OP)

l0tt0.com

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 06:03:08 PM

Thats why I wrote a watchdog script, in windows, for dead / sick GPU's through the API then it simply restarts cgminer on a windows machine and continues mining like normal.

Yes, I am trying to do something similar in Linux, you are quite right.

WHIRLWIND
|
        ▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀▄▄         █
        ▀▀▀██▄▄▄▄▄▀▀         █
ANONYMITY
MINING CAMPAIGN
MIX NOW
|
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 01:00:29 AM

To try to unload the driver and reload it.
The driver is absolutely wedged into the operating system kernel and unremovable. Getting the picture yet?

-ck
drlukacs (OP)

l0tt0.com

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:10:59 AM

The driver is absolutely wedged into the operating system kernel and unremovable. Getting the picture yet?

I do understand what you say, but I was able to unload it when it is not attached to cgminer, and then load it again. So, it becomes unremovable only when one of the cards gets sick and/or dies.

WHIRLWIND
|
        ▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀▄▄         █
        ▀▀▀██▄▄▄▄▄▀▀         █
ANONYMITY
MINING CAMPAIGN
MIX NOW
|
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 01:55:07 AM

I do understand what you say, but I was able to unload it when it is not attached to cgminer, and then load it again. So, it becomes unremovable only when one of the cards gets sick and/or dies.
Sheesh how hard do I have to try and convince you? It wedges in there WHEN IT CRASHES.

-ck
drlukacs (OP)

l0tt0.com

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:58:58 AM

Sheesh how hard do I have to try and convince you? It wedges in there WHEN IT CRASHES.

Oh, now I see what you mean.

Did you ever look into trying to find a cure for this (short of getting AMD to fix the problem)?

WHIRLWIND
|
        ▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀▄▄         █