Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:03:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin-powered Auto WiFi balloon  (Read 2326 times)
Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 09:06:19 AM
Last edit: May 31, 2013, 10:03:29 AM by Kluge

I've been toying with this for nearly a year, drew up maps with customer clusters, and did some other research, but never had a good-enough solution to get around signal penetration problems in the forest -- but I was given an idea....!

Goal: Launch a self-sufficient tethered solar balloon to provide wireless Internet service in a hilly, forested area by 2015.
Sub-goal A: Higher range, lower costs than leasing/building towers
Sub-goal B: Sustain one-year flight without maintenance
Sub-goal C: Using WISP software paid for in BTC, launch profitable WISP in rural, forested area with a minimum coverage of 500 people.
Sub-goal D: 1mbps down, 500kbps up @ $25/mo or less, <100ms Internet ping, <$200 upfront, less than 50% over-selling, no contracts.

Components required:
Lightweight high-cycle-life battery bank (LiFePO4 or LiPo, I'd think) -- NEED
Flexible solar panels -- NEED

High-speed ISP service with sub-leasing provision -- SECURED (up to 300 down, 50 up)
Solar balloon -- MAKE
Radio/"Router" -- HAVE (Ubiquity directional for testing -- need energy-efficient omni for full launch)
Lightweight PC for QoS/shaping/etc -- NEED (Possibly have -- see if Raspi can work)
Components to tether balloon -- HAVE (high-gauge fishing wire)
Automated turrets to shoot back at the drunk -- WANT

Estimated cost for proof-of-concept test launch: Free-enough
Estimated total cost for "functional" test launch: Huh (<$500)
Estimated total cost for first fully-functional launch: Huh (<$2000)
Estimated total cost for coverage goal: Huh

Contributors:
Myself (construction, battery testing, business stuff, general insanity)
Michael Brown (consulting [experience operating WISP], WISP software)
Deslok (consulting)
Google X & #bitcoin-assets (gave me the idea to use balloons instead of towers)

Roadmap:
By September, 2013 -- first FAA-complient test flight (balloon only)
By November, 2013 -- first test flight with simulated payload
By December, 2014 -- complete battery testing, decide on a bank, order all remaining components
By January, 2014 -- first test flight with functioning payload, WISP software loaded
By February, 2014 -- complete coverage testing, begin advertising
By March, 2014 -- launch two more functioning balloons to create mesh network
By April, 2014 -- complete coverage testing for additional balloons, advertise
By July, 2014 -- launch as many additional balloons as necessary to meet coverage goal.
By 2015 -- fully complete coverage testing and advertising, serving at least 200 people.

Balloon funds: $500
Balloon donations to date: 0BTC

Donations can be made to 1Ba11ooNy2b8EyPwW5F56mJnhauDK7va5Z. The first 50BTC will be put toward testing/startup expenses (this is essential to get moving). Anything additional will go either toward meeting sub-goal D by using upfront expenses to minimize maintenance costs, toward expanding service to other forested areas without decent ISP options, and/or toward low-income service subsidies.

IF: 5BTC donated, pictures will be included in future updates on balloon progress.
IF: 20BTC donated, battery bank testing sheets will be released (includes lead-acid, LiPo, LiFePO4 with mAh, mAh/lb, "voltage output under load by mAh consumed" with graph, time to charge, Wh & Wh/lb)
IF: 40BTC donated, sheets on solar panel tests will be released (unsure of what all will be included)
IF: 60BTC donated, all future balloons will have giant Bitcoins drawn on!
IF: 80BTC donated, customer management screens will be loaded with Bitcoin propaganda, with BTC payment option.
IF: 100BTC donated..... Idunno -- popular, and reasonable idea on thread implemented

Donations with stipulations accepted. Run by me, first. Currently think publicly selling equity or revenue would be too dangerous, so would instead prefer to help pass donations on to customers in the form of superior ISP service to their current options. If project is deemed non-viable, unused donations will be returned proportionally to addresses sent from. First priority is to launch in Parma, MI, as a proof-of-concept. Expertise always appreciated.
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 09:06:48 AM

[reserved]
Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 09:07:09 AM

[also reserved]
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 09:12:10 AM

I've always dreamed about similar things, but I concluded that they are impossible.
How do you keep the balloon hovering at the same position and height? You need an active system. This system can't be sustained by solar panels.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 09:26:24 AM

I've always dreamed about similar things, but I concluded that they are impossible.
How do you keep the balloon hovering at the same position and height? You need an active system. This system can't be sustained by solar panels.
It's tethered to prevent completely unpredictable drift, and the lower the balloon, the better (as far as balloon drift). Wifi balloons are set up in a mesh setting to help ensure reliability, though service may certainly go out in strong gusts. Balloons will very likely need point-to-point directionals as well as the omnis to maintain a reasonably reliable Internet connection. I'm hoping the directionals will be able to obtain enough range where there's a fair amount of redundancy in the balloon network. (that is, each directional hits at least two balloons, and probably many more -- maximum reliable range on an omni ballon in the forest is probably about a mile in diameter, where two directionals pointing at each other with full visibility can go up to 15mi)

In cases where service is subject to frequent outages, free/slow ad-based service can be given. This way, they can still occasionally connect at better speeds than dial-up, while only needing to "pay" when they're able to use the service. Going this route, they shouldn't be able to complain much, while those closer to the center of the ballon's tether point should always get reliable Internet no matter how far off-center the balloon is.

Redundancy problems can be kept at a cost-effective level by using only one or two directionals per balloon, instead of 3-8, with the idea being that they don't all need to connect, but should all have at least two good signals to use if one's blowing too far off. It's a highly-kludgeable system. Cheesy

Multiple tether points in high-priority customer clusters might help relieve this problem, too.

Night poses an obvious problem in need of answers, though... I don't have any "balloon experts" to help me. Active upward propulsion isn't a complicated technical problem, but might be costly.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 2607

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 12:36:04 PM

Seems like an interesting plan. Might donate when I get a sizeable amount of Bitcoins. Untill then I wish you good luck.

RichG

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 02:38:48 PM

ROFL!
Automated turrets to shoot back at the drunk -- WANT
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: