Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:38:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Woman in the Dunes  (Read 1015 times)
FirstAscent (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:32:06 PM
Last edit: May 13, 2013, 07:09:23 PM by FirstAscent

I mentioned this in the Cannes thread, but I think only about two people actually read that thread.

Just a heads up here. For what I believe is a limited time Hulu via Criterion is offering Woman in the Dunes for free. Very famous semi sci fi film by Hiroshi Teshigahara. It poses some interesting questions about personal identity. It's a tad erotic, and has interesting cinematography. If you like it, check out Teshigahara's The Face of Another as well. Welcome to the Japanese New Wave.

You can watch Woman in the Dunes here: http://www.hulu.com/watch/234920?playlist_id=1717

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FirstAscent (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 11:54:10 PM

No doubt all of you have had a chance to watch this very interesting film now. Pretty interesting, huh? It sticks with you.
philips

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 10:00:22 PM

No doubt all of you have had a chance to watch this very interesting film now. Pretty interesting, huh? It sticks with you.

I prefer not.
While I not discuss the quality of it, I would only say that is terribly depressing.
Also I am not sure what is semi sci-fi in it.
FirstAscent (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 10:22:57 PM

I prefer not.
While I not discuss the quality of it, I would only say that is terribly depressing.
Also I am not sure what is semi sci-fi in it.

The film receives high praise from critics and cinephiles. You might want to read about it to better understand it.

The sci-fi angle relates to the increasing levels of governmental control in one's identity and the difficulty of living off the radar. Move on to Teshigahara's The Face of Another - definitely sci-fi.
philips

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 10:27:06 PM

Is not about understanding it. Just that is a pretty damn depressing movie.
FirstAscent (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 10:31:51 PM

Is not about understanding it. Just that is a pretty damn depressing movie.

What is your take on your understanding of it? What themes did you get out of it?

- Special Jury Prize at Cannes
- Two Oscar nominations
- 8.2 on IMDB
- 100/92 % on Rotten Tomatoes
- One of Roger Ebert's Great Movies: http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-woman-in-the-dunes-1964
- 4.5/5 stars on MUBI.com

A blogger's take on the film: http://www.midnighteye.com/reviews/woman-in-the-dunes/

Another review: http://brightlightsfilm.com/28/womaninthedunes.php
philips

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 10:47:03 PM

Oh dear, I didn't said it was a bad movie, I said it was depressing.

Here, this is an excellent image, great artistic quality but depressing at the same time:

I don't care what the Special Jury at Cannes said, it just made me feel bad.

What themes did I got out of it? Look again at that picture.
Malawi

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:27:07 PM

A film can make you feel bad and still be a good movie.

Still - It's apparently meant for US eyes only.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
philips

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:37:43 PM

A film can make you feel bad and still be a good movie.

Exactly.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 11:42:00 PM

Oh dear, I didn't said it was a bad movie, I said it was depressing.
Let me explain. FirstAscent seems to have Asperger syndrome, and the particular form his takes is movies. Some aspies love trains, some love horses, some love computers. But whatever the object of obsession is, they assume everyone has, or, by god, should have, that same obsession. Everyone should love the same things they do, and to the same degree, and anyone who doesn't, is wrong.

He literally can't understand why you don't feel the same way about that movie that he does.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
philips

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:54:22 PM

Let me explain. FirstAscent seems to have Asperger syndrome, and the particular form his takes is movies. Some aspies love trains, some love horses, some love computers. But whatever the object of obsession is, they assume everyone has, or, by god, should have, that same obsession. Everyone should love the same things they do, and to the same degree, and anyone who doesn't, is wrong.
He literally can't understand why you don't feel the same way about that movie that he does.

I take it you two are well acquainted ? Smiley

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 12:29:50 AM

Quite well.

I'm no headshrinker, so I'm not qualified to diagnose him, but I do know a few aspies (the trains and horses, respectively), and I recognize the symptoms. And I know it's pointless to argue with them in their bailiwick. Or even disagree. Just nod and smile.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FirstAscent (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 04:53:51 AM
Last edit: May 31, 2013, 05:38:02 AM by FirstAscent

Not hardly. But he does like stalking me into threads in which he has no interest. How ironic that an individual with 10,500+ posts in an Internet forum, mostly all about a his obsessive social views, should provide negative commentary on the passionate interests of others.

Cool picture, by the way.

The movie is a little depressing. I mentioned The Face of Another by the same director. I can't comment on whether you'd like it or not. Other Japanese New Wave titles that have some elements of a depressing theme in them are Pale Flower ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOOr4nuWFqU ), Thirst for Love, and The Warped Ones. Other directors, such as Kenji Mizoguchi, Mikio Naruse and Keisuke Kinoshita like to explore the plight of women within society, and those themes can be a little depressing as well. Try Sansho the Bailiff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=076MrMynyak
FirstAscent (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 04:54:42 AM

Really? I don't think history indicates that.
proatlon

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 05:19:21 AM

I didn't even know they made this into a movie! I love the book. Will watch tomorrow. Cheesy
FirstAscent (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 05:27:46 AM

I didn't even know they made this into a movie! I love the book. Will watch tomorrow. Cheesy

Kobo Abe (author of Woman in the Dunes) and Hiroshi Teshigahara (director) partnered heavily on three films. It wasn't as if a director decided to adapt a book. They were a team and made three films together. Amongst cinephiles, their work is highly regarded.

More info here: http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/607-the-spectral-landscape-of-teshigahara-abe-and-takemitsu

The Face of Another was also created by them. Watch it.
Malawi

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 11:00:14 AM

It's Hulu who indicates that Wink

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
FirstAscent (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 02:54:56 PM

Oh. I guess you meant the regions in which Hulu streams. I thought you meant historically the intended audience.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 03:47:43 PM

Oh. I guess you meant the regions in which Hulu streams. I thought you meant historically the intended audience.
You know what they say about assuming....  Cheesy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: