Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:29:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: WHat will be the best way to ensure the security of R5 (see comments)?
Give each of the five problems a sufficient number of rounds that will guarantee security beyond reasonable doubt for the foreseeable future. - 4 (44.4%)
Build a mechanism within the cryptocurrency which will increase the number of rounds in case of any security weaknesses. - 5 (55.6%)
Total Voters: 9

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Nebula-The upcoming cryptocurrency that will incentivize reversible computation.  (Read 4459 times)
firhatnawfanh

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 01:00:13 PM

Hi there i stumbled here while searching for $nas,

This is a very interesting idea, I wonder whether such reversible computer / crypto will enable an cryptographic algorithm based on cellular automata to create a protocol/system that can self govern itself?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jvanname (OP)

Activity: 683
Merit: 51

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 02:02:39 PM

News: There are already cryptocurrencies named "Nebulas" (MARKET-CAP $346,031,635) and "Neblio" (MARKET-CAP $182,594,614). Furthermore, the name "Nebula" is far to generic. I therefore plan on changing the name of the cryptocurrency. The name of the individual coins shall be called CIRCs which stands for Certificate of Innovation in Reversible Computation. I still need to finalize the name of the entire cryptocurrency though instead of the individual coins (I have an idea in mind).

p3ngu1n

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 08:33:08 PM

News: There are already cryptocurrencies named "Nebulas" (MARKET-CAP $346,031,635) and "Neblio" (MARKET-CAP $182,594,614). Furthermore, the name "Nebula" is far to generic. I therefore plan on changing the name of the cryptocurrency. The name of the individual coins shall be called CIRCs which stands for Certificate of Innovation in Reversible Computation. I still need to finalize the name of the entire cryptocurrency though instead of the individual coins (I have an idea in mind).

I am looking forward to it.
jvanname (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 11:21:37 PM

As an update, I am still working on the security of the POW problem.  A lot of security issues arise because I want to design a POW that incentivizes the construction of the reversible computer in the best possible way. For R5, I will use reversible linear cellular automata of dimensions 1 and 2. However,
I can list several security anomalies that arise from the use of linear cellular automata of dimension 1 including the following:

1. Suppose that f,g are involutions which are related to each other in some way. Then the composition fg is a permutation with cycles of an exceptionally low period. I so far have not been able to explain this phenomenon.

2. Cryptosystems require a large amount of non-linearity in order to thwart linear algebraic attacks. My POW problems however need to have as much linearity as possible since the CNOT gates (which are reversible and linear) will be much easier to construct than other reversible gates.

3. Reversible linear cellular automata over Z_2 of dimensions 1 or 2 over the torus of size 2^n x 2^n or circle of length 2^n have exceptionally low periods.

4. Reversible linear cellular automata over Z_2 of dimensions 1 or 2 have a Sierpinski triangle structure which indicates that these functions are not disorderly enough for cryptographic use.

Of course, I can solve these issues simply by basing my POW problems on something other than reversible linear cellular automata of dimension 1 or 2, but I do not want to do that because these reversible linear cellular automata are literally the simplest reversible objects that I can use, and I need my POW problem to be simple enough so that it will be as easy as possible for reversible computing manufacturers to construct machinery to solve these POW problems.
riderinred

Activity: 162
Merit: 24

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 07:09:49 PM

As an update, I am still working on the security of the POW problem.  A lot of security issues arise because I want to design a POW that incentivizes the construction of the reversible computer in the best possible way. For R5, I will use reversible linear cellular automata of dimensions 1 and 2. However,
I can list several security anomalies that arise from the use of linear cellular automata of dimension 1 including the following:

1. Suppose that f,g are involutions which are related to each other in some way. Then the composition fg is a permutation with cycles of an exceptionally low period. I so far have not been able to explain this phenomenon.

2. Cryptosystems require a large amount of non-linearity in order to thwart linear algebraic attacks. My POW problems however need to have as much linearity as possible since the CNOT gates (which are reversible and linear) will be much easier to construct than other reversible gates.

3. Reversible linear cellular automata over Z_2 of dimensions 1 or 2 over the torus of size 2^n x 2^n or circle of length 2^n have exceptionally low periods.

4. Reversible linear cellular automata over Z_2 of dimensions 1 or 2 have a Sierpinski triangle structure which indicates that these functions are not disorderly enough for cryptographic use.

Of course, I can solve these issues simply by basing my POW problems on something other than reversible linear cellular automata of dimension 1 or 2, but I do not want to do that because these reversible linear cellular automata are literally the simplest reversible objects that I can use, and I need my POW problem to be simple enough so that it will be as easy as possible for reversible computing manufacturers to construct machinery to solve these POW problems.

I hope you are doing fine and keep making progress.
Just wanted to drop by and give you some positive vibes Smiley
Would love to hear about any new stuff you got.

You are your worst enemy and your best ally.
I am just some guy with a keyboard.
alexwolf011

Activity: 75
Merit: 1

Miner, Trader

View Profile
July 04, 2018, 11:59:36 AM

Hi, Jvanname

How is this project going? I still think that this project will be a very promising one in the future.

The market also needs something new and interesting to attract new comers. Hahaha

Hope everything goes well!

QUANTUM 1NET • QUANTUM HACKING IS COMING. ARE YOU READY? • QUANTUM 1NET  (https://quantum1net.com/)
Traxo

Activity: 568
Merit: 703

View Profile
November 18, 2020, 12:32:10 PM
Last edit: November 21, 2020, 11:01:17 PM by Traxo
Merited by Vlad2Vlad (7)

EDIT(Nov 21):  
Here is an official Circcash announcement:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5292018.0;all

You can find relevant project updates here:
https://github.com/jvanname/circcash  
Circcash is a fork of Bitcoin using Hashspin as a proof-of-work algorithm. Hashspin is designed to accelerate the development of reversible computing hardware. Hashspin is the only cryptocurrency mining algorithm that is designed to solve an extremely important scientific problem.

I have started the unofficial ANN thread:  

[ANN] Circcash [unofficial :: unmoderated]
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5290467.0;all
jvanname (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2020, 12:50:54 AM

Now is probably a good time to list some weaknesses of R5 and some of my early ideas of reversible mining algorithms (this in part explains why I did not release any cryptocurrency earlier).

Multiple mining algorithms-Multiple mining algorithms have been largely untested in the cryptocurrency community. From my experience, the Bitcoin community is quite conservative and they would not accept multiple mining algorithms running in parallel each with their own difficulties. The Bitcoin community does not like new ideas that could potentially bring a security risk like having multiple mining algorithms. Furthermore, having multiple algorithms means that each of those algorithms has to be vetted for cryptographic security. Even though cryptocurrency mining algorithms could easily be made secure by adding more rounds (I did this) and there is not much history of broken mining algorithms, this is not a risk that people should be willing to take.

Iterating compositions of involutions-If f,g:X->X are involutions, then you do not want to use an iterate of fg or anything like an iterate of fg in a cryptosystem since such a component presents a security weakness. I originally wanted to use this construction because of its simplicity, but this sort of construction is not very secure (this is why you do not see it in cryptosystems such as AES and SHA-256 despite its simplicity).

Lack of solution lottery technique-Without the solution lottery technique, the reversible mining algorithms look much more like reversible cryptographic hash functions. This presents a security issue. First of all, reversible cryptographic hash functions are a better at incentivizing the development of reversible computation than something like SHA-256d, but they are not optimized for this task. Second of all, the solution lottery technique means that the new portion of the mining algorithm does not have to have much cryptographic security. For example, the reversible portion of Hashspin (Circcash's mining algorithm) only requires 16 bits of security while SHA-256d mining requires about 128 bits of cryptographic security. For this reason, using the solution lottery technique, one can use the security buffer to focus on designing the algorithm to accelerate the development of reversible computing hardware.
jvanname (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2020, 05:57:25 AM

I guess the moral of this story is that mathematicians should not trust themselves with more than 16 bits of security.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: