Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 12:19:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Old man needs help with Armory  (Read 535 times)
jastrzab (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 08:29:22 AM

Dear Fellows,

First of all I would like to say hello to this great community. Please forgive me if I am breaking some rules about posting but new technology is sometimes much above my level of perception. I started with bitcoins as for pure libertarian it seems to give a bit of freedom in this banking mafia world. Unfortunately as I am quite old, technology aspects makes me being in trouble. Yesterday I was in panic as I was a victim of (as I read) common Multibit HD problem which did not accept my password (even though I was sure it was right). Fortunately I had Multibit HD also installed on some old laptop and I could log in it, but being afraid of this Multibit HD problem I was in hurry to change my wallet, so I loaded Armory and transferred my bitcoin there. Afterwards I realized that it is a completely different wallet, not working like Multibit, but offline. I was trying to find some solution what way I can get to my bitcoins but everything seems so complicated for me. Of course I blaming myself for being so stupid to do so without checking everything with tiniest details, but as I said I was nervous because of Multibit problems. So summing up, cold-storage wallet Armory generated address for receiving funds and I sent bitcoins to it. What is the easiest way to see them and use in a future or have I lost them?
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stroto

Activity: 449
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 08:31:22 AM

Have you installed bitcoin core too? Armory needs that to work properly.

Edit to say Armory can be used offline as cold storage or online with the use of Bitcoin core as hot wallet.
jastrzab (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 08:39:11 AM

Yes, I realised it afterwards, but did not want to do anything more in a hurry without a piece of advise from someone wise. I watched a tutorial, but in my version of Armory there is impossible to do it the way it shows.
Stroto

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 08:52:26 AM

make a copy of your wallet (not perse needed but better safe then sorry) C:\user\appdata\roaming\armory\wallet file

you should get the latest version from this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1896808.0 it is a sticky in this forum.

Then install bitcoin core from their official page, let it sync, that will take a while and takes about 150G of disc space atm.

After it is sync'd start armory (in armory file>settings> uncheck "Let armory run bitcoin core/bitcoind in the back ground) and let armory sync.

It is gonna take a while depending on your set up, but once done you are good to go.
jastrzab (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 09:01:36 AM

Thank you for help, but unfortunately I have around 110 GB free. Is there any other way or I must use another PC?
Stroto

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 09:07:33 AM

I'm not an expert (just an average Joe that uses armory) in offline signing so I can't help you with that. I'm sure someone will get in here to help you if you are not able to run a node in the background.
gangtraet

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 09:27:32 AM

Armory is quite a mouthful to get running, it is an advanced wallet but that unfortunately also means that it is technically complex.

If you transferred all your funds to a single (or a few) bitcoin addresses i Armory, then the simplest is probably to export the private keys corresponding to those addresses.  Go to Wallet Properties / Backup This Wallet, and select export keys.  Then you can import (or better, sweep) the keys in another wallet, either MultiBit HD, Electrum, or anything else.
jastrzab (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 11:33:46 AM

Thank you very much stroto and gangtreat for your time to help me. Indeed last solution worked very well and was so easy that even me could do that easily. Keep it going guys  Smiley
gangtraet

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 06:40:04 PM

Thank you very much stroto and gangtreat for your time to help me. Indeed last solution worked very well and was so easy that even me could do that easily. Keep it going guys  Smiley

Just because we are not young anymore does not mean we cannot force a computer to do our will. Smiley
big red

Activity: 1

View Profile
August 17, 2017, 08:15:26 PM

I'm not an expert (just an average Joe that uses armory) in offline signing so I can't help you with that. I'm sure someone will get in here to help you if you are not able to run a node in the background.
hi there I need help to can you assist
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: