Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:07:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Generic coin solo mining?  (Read 6954 times)
woodrake (OP)

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 11:03:20 AM

Heya,

First, apologies for posting this here when it only partially relates to BTC mining, but this is the most appropriate forum for generalised mining discussions not about a specific coin I think.

I mine both SHA256 and scrypt coins. I've developed a bunch of scripts which automatically choose the most profitable coin to mine at any one moment compared to BTC and then sell them back into BTC. I do the same with SHA256 alt coins too.

However, the returns I'm getting are not as good as I'd expect, especially for some of the "very alternative" scrypt coins. For many of those I can actually be a significant proportion of their total network hashrate (eg. BitBar, whose hashrate is only 45MH/s according to this.

At present I use cgminer or bfgminer with mining pools. This makes the automation convenient since I just have to redirect the miners to new URLs when swapping. However, given the poor returns on some alt coins (which I suspect is down to dodgyness of the pools), and given my fairly large hashrates, I would like to try solo mining.

The problem is that I don't want to be running every poxy little alt coin's mining programme, especially since my rigs are all headless Linux boxes. Is there a way to get cgminer/bfgminer to solo mine any coin of your choosing, or another stand-alone piece of software which can be configured to mine multiple coins, or are the alts always hard-coded such that you need a pool?

Kate.

PS. One option I was considering was creating my own personal pools though I'm not sure how much effort that is. There seems to be a standard codebase out there now though...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Zanatos666

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 02:00:44 PM

Not quite sure, but I think the process for any coin would be about the same, download the appropriate client you would need and configure it, download its particular blockchain, then point your rig to connect and start looking for blocks.

Here is a tut for litecoins, I would suspect that most any coin (at least SHA256) would be about the same.  But I could be totally off as I  have never solo mined anything.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=83371.0

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
woodrake (OP)

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 03:43:09 PM

Not quite sure, but I think the process for any coin would be about the same, download the appropriate client you would need and configure it, download its particular blockchain, then point your rig to connect and start looking for blocks.

Here is a tut for litecoins, I would suspect that most any coin (at least SHA256) would be about the same.  But I could be totally off as I  have never solo mined anything.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=83371.0

I thought as much. That largely excludes the possibility of large-scale mining of the very-alt coins (with API-driven headless Linux rigs) unless I were to spin up a bunch of private pools I guess!

Kate.

JohnDorien

Activity: 462

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 03:48:09 PM

Create a dedicated server with all the wallets and open the rpc portrange for your local network in the config.
This should be compatible with your existing scripts
diatonic

Activity: 271

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 03:59:42 PM

I have a dedicated linux host for running the daemons I want to solo mine, and I keep them all running all the time. I mine with BAMT from 3 headless rigs, and have scripts to change between coins I'm mining. I don't automate it, but I have been wanting to.

If you didn't want to always run all of the solo daemons, you could just make sure they all share a common rpcport, rpcusername, and rpcpassword. Then when you want to switch scrypt coins it is just a matter of sending a "stop mining" command to your headless rigs, stop the daemon you were mining, start the daemon you want to mine, and once it's sync'ed up send a "start mining" command to your mining rigs.

I prefer to keep all of my daemons always running so they stay well connected to lots of peers.

I've set up some scripts on my BAMT farm to automate the process of creating & deploying cgminer configs and startup scripts when a new coin comes out. I'd be happy to share what I have if you are interested.

#bitcoin-otc ratings: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=diatonic | Tips: 1DiATonicgGnUcsH6NpSuCEDwRRW3wecgs
lankyman

Activity: 382

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 07:21:31 AM

Heya,

First, apologies for posting this here when it only partially relates to BTC mining, but this is the most appropriate forum for generalised mining discussions not about a specific coin I think.

I mine both SHA256 and scrypt coins. I've developed a bunch of scripts which automatically choose the most profitable coin to mine at any one moment compared to BTC and then sell them back into BTC. I do the same with SHA256 alt coins too.

However, the returns I'm getting are not as good as I'd expect, especially for some of the "very alternative" scrypt coins. For many of those I can actually be a significant proportion of their total network hashrate (eg. BitBar, whose hashrate is only 45MH/s according to this.

At present I use cgminer or bfgminer with mining pools. This makes the automation convenient since I just have to redirect the miners to new URLs when swapping. However, given the poor returns on some alt coins (which I suspect is down to dodgyness of the pools), and given my fairly large hashrates, I would like to try solo mining.

The problem is that I don't want to be running every poxy little alt coin's mining programme, especially since my rigs are all headless Linux boxes. Is there a way to get cgminer/bfgminer to solo mine any coin of your choosing, or another stand-alone piece of software which can be configured to mine multiple coins, or are the alts always hard-coded such that you need a pool?

Kate.

PS. One option I was considering was creating my own personal pools though I'm not sure how much effort that is. There seems to be a standard codebase out there now though...

hi i would like to try and take a chance and mine solo on bitcoin or which ever ...
i have tried with sgminer and i put -k sha256    BUT i am not sure if cgminer is more correct to use?
i have also seen on some pools like say when i mine x11 there is also an x11-mod for exmaple insgminer, they both seem to mine, but i dont know which is the really correct one to use? u know what i mean..... else i might mine till the coes come home for noting and its the wrong algorithm.

same for solo mining, so i would like to get it right before i just mine and its all wrong...

maybe you can suggest a coin i can try , please?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: