Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:19:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to read more than 50+ books a year  (Read 1196 times)
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 11:14:58 AM

Well, Everything depends on book material and your surroundings. If it's a good book, you will obviously try to finish it as soon as possible.
 I've finished Kane and Abel in 24 hours and The Fountain Head in just 2 days. I've read total 78 Books in 13 month of my incarceration period.
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dazbog835

Activity: 132
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 11:51:43 AM

This whole speed reading is a myth, i can give you a book about a very specific Topic where you don't even know the meaning of the words. And there a sentences in there that should give you a lot to think about before you can understand.

Speed Reading is for dime novels. If i read a book and i can understand everything easily when its not a novel, im not reading it, there is nothing to learn from it.

You can read Platos republic and think really hard about every sentence. If you speed read it im pretty sure u learned nothing.

depends how you understand speed reading. There is the breezing through the book at the speed of light... kinda skimming it as it were... and then there's the actual process of reading without the pronouncing all the words in your head as i described above.

that's an actual problem some of us have, that other don't have, and usually you have a hard time even explaining it to them, because reading in a way that they do (i believe the correct way) is so natural and engrained, they can't even imagine any other way.

but yes, I agree hard texts take a longer time to read because you're moving from sentence to sentence, parsing them, pondering, ... but this would still be done faster by a normal reader, than it's done by me and people like me.

Well, Everything depends on book material and your surroundings. If it's a good book, you will obviously try to finish it as soon as possible.
 I've finished Kane and Abel in 24 hours and The Fountain Head in just 2 days. I've read total 78 Books in 13 month of my incarceration period.
I always figured if I ever got incarcerated I would take that time to learn, read, etc. Is it difficult to focus on that in jail or is that the only thing you can focus on?
machasm

Activity: 784
Merit: 796

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 12:00:31 PM

The trick with reading books is to not spend to much time reading online!
Since the dawn of the internet I seem to be spending an endless amount of time reading and replying in forums.

Carolina
bc1qtm5d24nycxqfqzdtj33zh9m9wn2cdek6v4kkck
escrow.ms
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 01:12:53 PM

I always figured if I ever got incarcerated I would take that time to learn, read, etc. Is it difficult to focus on that in jail or is that the only thing you can focus on?
It's the only thing you can focus on if you are living in a separate cell and the hardest thing to do when you are living with 50+ Inmates in a big room (my case).
dazbog835

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 03:20:09 PM

It's the only thing you can focus on if you are living in a separate cell and the hardest thing to do when you are living with 50+ Inmates in a big room (my case).
Does that mean with bunkbeds or regular bed in one big room? damn, that's pretty distracting, I'd bet. so are you still in, or is this something from before? sorry if I'm getting too personal
escrow.ms
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 03:52:35 PM

Does that mean with bunkbeds or regular bed in one big room? damn, that's pretty distracting, I'd bet. so are you still in, or is this something from before? sorry if I'm getting too personal

No beds just empty room. Every prisoner gets 1 plate, 2 bowl and 2 piece of cloths for bedding. You can get books and clothes from your family member. Nothing else.
Ps: I was released 4 months ago on bail. ( I've spent 13 months in jail under judicial custody. I wasn't convicted)

Mattress

Blanket
Zumwalt

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 08:48:09 PM

This whole speed reading is a myth, i can give you a book about a very specific Topic where you don't even know the meaning of the words. And there a sentences in there that should give you a lot to think about before you can understand.

Speed Reading is for dime novels. If i read a book and i can understand everything easily when its not a novel, im not reading it, there is nothing to learn from it.

You can read Platos republic and think really hard about every sentence. If you speed read it im pretty sure u learned nothing.

depends how you understand speed reading. There is the breezing through the book at the speed of light... kinda skimming it as it were... and then there's the actual process of reading without the pronouncing all the words in your head as i described above.

that's an actual problem some of us have, that other don't have, and usually you have a hard time even explaining it to them, because reading in a way that they do (i believe the correct way) is so natural and engrained, they can't even imagine any other way.

but yes, I agree hard texts take a longer time to read because you're moving from sentence to sentence, parsing them, pondering, ... but this would still be done faster by a normal reader, than it's done by me and people like me.

Maybe its start with how you think, not everybody is thinking in talking to himself. But i don't think that anyone will be breezing trough a completely book with an unfamiliar topic and can takeaway anything from it.
guesswhat

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 11:10:09 PM

In highc school, literature teachers are pushing students to read books and novels in a mandatory term. This is how you can make one person to read 50+ books a year. And it works.
dazbog835

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 10:44:20 AM

No beds just empty room. Every prisoner gets 1 plate, 2 bowl and 2 piece of cloths for bedding. You can get books and clothes from your family member. Nothing else.
Ps: I was released 4 months ago on bail. ( I've spent 13 months in jail under judicial custody. I wasn't convicted)

Mattress

Blanket

Pretty shitty conditions. Where was this?
jacksondawn53

Activity: 2

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 10:53:20 AM

we have to read every day one hour then we have to complete. Smiley Smiley Smiley
escrow.ms
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 03:14:32 PM

Pretty shitty conditions. Where was this?

Mumbai, India. Every single Prison is same in India
revo1044

Activity: 305
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 03:27:33 PM

You should read a book every week , the year has 52 weeks so you will read 52 books
Drnice

Activity: 588
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 08:06:35 PM

That was a very interesting article that can boost ones interest of reading.
Mp3 is sound and deals with listening, not reading.
Capeshifter

Activity: 112

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 01:14:36 PM

It's not that hard.. elon musk was reading about 10 books a month so you'll be able to read 50 year if you want to, or you wait for the technology, where you'll be able to eat a pill and know a specific book.. make your choice Smiley
henryleo589

Activity: 3

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 01:23:00 PM

it depends how we understanding speed reading or slow reading. if we have reading habit then it is easy to reading. we have no habit for reading books it is very difficult. we try to spend one or two hours in a day for reading. reading is depends that book and surrounding environment. in the Internet easy to reading. because now a days most of the people depends on Internet. so we have time spending on Internet for reading books. so choose good books, timing, surroundings, our mindset.
madtek

Activity: 47

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 01:33:45 PM

it's all about consistency, there is a technique called habit chains you can use that to train yourself to read a little everyday, you will be amazed how much you can achieve with those small efforts as long as they are consistent of course
bramborakymilenec

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 02:20:39 PM

Interesting read (pardon the pun)
ReyshElle

Activity: 71

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 02:33:53 PM

Its not possible bro...
If you read day and night without doing anyother work u can...
If the books are in mp3 format u can listen then..
Listning is more easy than reading... Smiley

For me I prefer reading
reading is a lot better than listening, more enjoying to be exact.
MrHeron

Activity: 23

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 03:48:10 PM

This is totally subjective to the reader in question.  I don't speed read, but I read fast and have a very high reading comprehension level.  If you have a low comprehension level it's going to take longer as you struggle with context, meaning and definition.  I don't even know how many books I read in a year, it's a whole lot.  And books is a wide ranging topic as well.  Plato's republic isn't very long but it will be a struggle if you aren't versed in classical philosophy.  On the flip side war and peace isn't that much of a struggle to get through except for the length.  Pop fiction isn't hard to comprehend and aren't long, usually so they'll go much faster.  Biographies and nonfiction accounts/manuals also vary in length and complexity of the subjects presented.  So yes, of course you can read 100 books in a year, it depends on the reader and the books. 
Fieldrunner

Activity: 34

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 10:33:14 AM

My goal is to read 2 books a month
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: