Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:05:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How were my encrypted wallets hacked? I even used truecrypt and dummy wallet.dat  (Read 1465 times)
HopeIsLost (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 08:52:47 PM

I woke up this morning sickened by the looks of my wallets.  At 4:00AM and 4:01AM my bitcoin and litecoin wallets were hacked and all the coins were transferred out.  6.625 BTC and 84.00 LTC were stolen.  I thought I was taking the proper precautions to prevent this but apparently not. 

I used truecrypt to house the location of the wallets' data.

I never allowed any unknown java applications to run.

I used a random 64 character ASCII character password from https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm for my truecrypt password.

I used different passwords (10+ characters) for my wallet clients.

I scanned for viruses using Avast and malwarebytes after I realized they were stolen, yet didn't find anything suspicious. Could be a FUD though?

I had dummy wallet files in my AppData/roaming/Bitcoin and AppData/roaming/Litecoin folders in case this thing ever happened.

Now I'm depressed and I'm out around $1000 with the current market prices and only have 15 LTC to my name, which I immediately transferred to my btc-e account.  I only have this 15 LTC because it was tied up at coinbomb or either cryptobounty while my coins were stolen.  I have been day trading and gambling on bitpotato like sites in hopes of making enough money to buy a new laptop (to replace my current piece of shithttps://i.imgur.com/2CKHIJ4.jpg) and now those hopes are gone. 

If I were ever to make any coins back (which I probably won't), how would I go about making them safe?  Should I use blockchain for my BTC wallet? How did this even happen?

Picture of my wallet and transaction details
https://i.imgur.com/jflvUBy.jpg

Bitcoin chain explorer
http://blockexplorer.com/tx/f82bac3b797ef782ce858797da7d447cb223ba7d7bf57b11d59dc9dd3dcbb5af

Litecoin chain explorer
http://litecoinscout.com/address/LhGJGM3N8ms5C7GpSJeNcnF6R22i7Kp7cq

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:09:33 PM

i have the same computer. while i agree that yours is a piece of shit. these 4gb/T6400 2.0ghz inspriron 1545's are still better than 50 percent of the new laptops on the market. anywho, im sorry you got ripped off. its possible that some of the bitcoins in your wallet were invalid(faked bitcoins) i've heard of this happening to more than one person recently

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:12:16 PM

Sounds like your PC is compromised. What web browser are you using? What is your version of Adobe Flash player? These are the 2 main attack vectors on Windows.

Also download mbam antimalware and run a quick scan to see if it finds anything bad - there are tons of nasties that a traditional AV will not detect, unfortunately.  
HopeIsLost (OP)

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:17:12 PM

Sounds like your PC is compromised. What web browser are you using? What is your version of Adobe Flash player? These are the 2 main attack vectors on Windows.

Also download mbam antimalware and run a quick scan to see if it finds anything bad - there are tons of nasties that a traditional AV will not detect, unfortunately.  

Already ran malwarebytes and avast as stated in OP and nothing suspicious was found.  I'm using chrome and also have the newest flash player.
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:20:21 PM

i have the same computer. while i agree that yours is a piece of shit. these 4gb/T6400 2.0ghz inspriron 1545's are still better than 50 percent of the new laptops on the market. anywho, im sorry you got ripped off. its possible that some of the bitcoins in your wallet were invalid(faked bitcoins) i've heard of this happening to more than one person recently
Could you offer some more explanation of the "fake Bitcoins"? With a lot of confirmations this shouldn't be possible.
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 09:24:47 PM

Sorry to hear that.
Password protected wallet and truecrypt container might bring the false feeling of security.
In fact to be able to use the wallet you have to mount the hidden volume so the system can see what's inside, and to be able to spend the coins, you have to type the password.
Simple malicious code can wait until you connect the truecrypt volume, copy the wallet, and then wait until you make a transaction to copy your password.

some of the bitcoins in your wallet were invalid(faked bitcoins)
There is no such thing as faked bitcoins. You can easily verify all informations displayed by your client on blockcexplorer or blockchain.info The transaction looks pretty real to me.
HopeIsLost (OP)

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:27:44 PM

Sounds like you left these things open, instead of closing them down and disconnecting the true crypt volume. Were you using keyfiles? Also sounds like you may have a keylogger, got the password to everything with that.

I always dismount my volumes after I'm done using the wallets.  Not using keyfiles, only a 64 ASCII password.  I have scanned for a keylogger and found nothing, but will probably reformat soon, and only use linux for my cryptocurrency needs. 
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:39:06 PM

Try to remember what software you installed recently. When handling bitcoin, downloading *any* app created within the last 2 years must be done with extreme care. And no, switching to Linux won't automagically eliminate that risk (as some users have painfully found out).
r3wt

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 11:19:13 PM

Could you offer some more explanation of the "fake Bitcoins"? With a lot of confirmations this shouldn't be possible.

it seems you can take litecoin, modify the software to make it look like fake bitcoins, and pass them off to users as the real deal. by the time you realize you've been duped and they dissapear from your account, the spammer is long gone with whatever you traded/sold him.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
Birdy

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 11:25:45 PM

it seems you can take litecoin, modify the software to make it look like fake bitcoins, and pass them off to users as the real deal. by the time you realize you've been duped and they dissapear from your account, the spammer is long gone with whatever you traded/sold him.
You don't actually send any coins, you read and change the transaction history, so I highly doubt that this is possible.
r3wt

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 12:46:14 AM

You don't actually send any coins, you read and change the transaction history, so I highly doubt that this is possible.

go read the bulletin at the very top of this very forum

BitshireHashaway

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 12:50:47 AM

I personally don't have enough bitcoins for anyone to care including me if I were hacked (a few dollars), however if you start having more than $2000+ in bitcoins you may want to take a few hundred dollars of it and create an offline armory in order to help protect yourself. One of the most secure things I know of. I'm worried my computer may have something bad because I don't pay too much attention when downloading stuff (I know what it is but normally allow things to run), so I'll need to scan my computer for a keylogger.
Birdy

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 12:58:52 AM

go read the bulletin at the very top of this very forum
This?
http://bitcoin.org/may15.html

That's "double-spending" existing Bitcoins due to a network fork, it's not faking Bitcoins.
It can only happen if you still have the old client (or if there is another fork/51% attack).
Orianna

Activity: 13

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 01:13:38 AM

Just out of curiosity is anyone running a flavor of linux (Ubuntu, Mint, Redhat) from a pendrive for the very purpose of maintaining their wallets? 

Would that be considered secure?
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 01:56:20 AM

Your encrypted wallet was hacked when you decrypted it.  I can't imagine using windows for bitcoin.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 03:37:18 AM

How is that possible?

If you meant some one is foolish enough to download fake client program to run, and can't tell the difference between LTC address and BTC address, he probably shouldn't be in this coin business.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 10:10:18 PM

Try www.gmer.net

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMER

cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 10:13:06 PM

Aren't lite coin address different from bitcoin addresses?  So they can't really be confused?  (I think litecoin starts with L?)

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
bticoinquake

Activity: 11

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 10:41:27 PM

Man that truely sucks, would paper wallets have prevented this?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: