Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:27:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie looking for advice  (Read 513 times)
GuitarGuy80 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 09:01:35 PM

I've been watching bitcoin for a long time and started mining a couple of months ago using a few block eruptors.  I've made the decision to upgrade my mining rig and should hopefully be able to get some more mining hardware soon.

What do you guys recommend as required reading from someone just getting started?  I'm not looking to get rich mining but I do see it as an interesting hobby and I would love to learn as much as I can so that I can make the most of it as well as become a part of the community and learn more about crypto currency in general.

Thanks for readying this and for any info that you might provide.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 09:08:19 PM

I recommend that anyone new to mining start out by mining alt coins with their desktop computer's graphics card. I believe this is the best way to start out because you can jump right in and you will make a small amount of money. Mining bitcoins is not likely to be profitable, and without a significant investment you will mine so little that it won't be worth your time.

Read this to find out how to start mining: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=400621.0

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
quone17

Activity: 224
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 09:11:34 PM

Please use a calculator and take the time to figure out if it makes economic sense!  THen put in the time and effort to figure out exactly what hardware you want.

Bitcoin Exchange Guide- List of the Top Bitcoin Exchanges, Find Places to Buy, Sell and Trade Bitcoins.
leetmodz

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 09:18:12 PM

I've been watching bitcoin for a long time and started mining a couple of months ago using a few block eruptors.  I've made the decision to upgrade my mining rig and should hopefully be able to get some more mining hardware soon.

What do you guys recommend as required reading from someone just getting started?  I'm not looking to get rich mining but I do see it as an interesting hobby and I would love to learn as much as I can so that I can make the most of it as well as become a part of the community and learn more about crypto currency in general.

Get some gpu's and mine a good scrypt coin. Exchange that coin for btc and you will make a hell of a lot more than mining btc with block erupters.

This is pretty cool too https://alpha-t.net/product/scrypt-asic-miner/

bitnewt

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 10:05:40 PM

Whether you should start mining or not depends on many many factors. Other than economical factors, if you are mining at home, keep in mind the following:

• Space: How big is your place? I would not suggest mining unless you have your own house or a very large apartment. Not only do mining rigs take space, but see the following two points.
  • Cooling requirements: mining rigs generate a significant amount of heat, this can easily become a serious problem when summer comes in a few months if you do not have an excellentAC system at home.
  • Noise: GPUs are noisy. This can be very unpleasant unless you have an extra room or a garage where you can put your computers. If you are not living alone, make sure your roommates or family are okay with this.
SandraSandrina

Activity: 30

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 10:28:36 PM

Hello there. I was in same situation like you, i had few ASIC miners but with this dificulty is too hard to make 1$ so i sold them and bought GPU cards, i din't got so much money to spend on it like others but i bought few AMD cards(used) and made my home computer as ring, i still work on it with my onboard video and other GPU works for coins Smiley. i mine every new alt coin cuz is easy for my kh/s(witch is low). Good luck
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: