Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:16:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New Bitcoin Valuation Using Experimental Economics  (Read 2453 times)
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 02:57:49 AM

What is the intrinsic value of electricity in 1400 ? Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 03:03:51 AM

What is the intrinsic value of electricity in 1400 ? Grin
The value of electricity in the year 1400 was mostly negative. The main form it existed in was large static discharges (lightning) which caused fires, and killed people and trees unfortunate enough to be struck by them. Nobody wanted any electricity. In fact, pretty much everybody feared it. Thus, negative value.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
townf

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:06:37 AM

I'd say this hair has been pretty much split.

I'm going to reread the article now and substitute the words "intrinsic value" with the words "bling status", and see if that clears things up for me
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:14:07 AM

Always good to see the knowledge here gotta love that bling value haha

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
townf

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:09:20 AM

I would think some other important factors contributing to btc intrinsic value up (or down) are its use (or non-use) as a medium of exchange instead of a hoarding device, and its perceived or predicted legality (or illegality). These probably fall under what you were assigning 50% "use".

I realize trying to quantify demand due to perceived legality would almost entail quantifying conspiracy theory, but statistically quantifying further the intrinsic value due to its use as a medium of exchange might be easier or more empirical.

Could it be something like projecting the growth (or shrinkage) of the total market volume, scope, and variety of goods and services exchanged in btc and applying that as some kind of coefficient or factor?

I'm getting out of my league is why I'm asking. I'm trying to handicap this, you know, like the horse races.

townf

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:14:34 AM

Always good to see the knowledge here gotta love that bling value haha
lol yeah definitely lot of brains here, but sometimes i need it simple   Grin
Theraty

Activity: 196
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 06:04:55 PM

The Mineforman website (http://mineforeman.com) was kind enough to allow me to write a blog using an experimental economic method. The article is called "Bitcoin Valuation as a Fiat Hedge With Information and Substitution Effects" and can be found below:

http://mineforeman.com/2013/05/14/bitcoin-valuation-as-a-fiat-hedge-with-information-and-substitution-effects/

For my calculations I did some new research that no one else has done on the rate of dilution of BTC value from competition and some other stuff. Unfortunately the data pickings were slim so the projection has a fairly wide confidence interval but I'm still proud of the fact that it covers new territory. The article links to another article with a highly detailed breakdown of the methodology, even including a downloadable copy of the spreadsheet I used! What do yall think?

How accurate did you find the evaluation?
Impaler

Activity: 826
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:57:39 PM

All four of these points can basically be boiled down to this argument:

There is an ideal distribution of resources, and given perfect knowledge and perfect morality, the price of an item would always reflect that ideal distribution, and would therefore be it's intrinsic value.

I can't really argue with that, except to say that the "ideal" is variable, and mankind does not have perfect knowledge, nor perfect morality. Nor can you deduce what the market price would be in such a situation from any information in the real world.

All that you can know is that the price of an item will asymptotically approach the price it would have in that ideal, which, as I said, is itself a moving target.

I would like to add to this point by myrkul, the "Ideal distribution of resources" much like anarcho-communism is an unachievable state because of the numerous shortcoming myrkul lays out.  But if such a state were to exist it would by definition no longer have any need for prices at all.  Prices exist as corrective signals which communicate shortages and gluts, the perfect distribution thus no longer needs prices and would become pure exchange.  Nor would such a state have any innovation, changes in taste or preference or any opportunity for profit, arbitrage or investment.  In other-words it would be a dead wax-replica of the real world.  The OP's fault lies in trying to project Platonic ideals onto the economy and prices in particular as he creates the notion of an almost other-worldly perfect price of which our real prices are but pale shadows of on the back wall of a stock exchange.  Platonic ideals are deservedly one of the most repudiated concepts in the history of philosophy and projecting them onto prices is a gross absurdity.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
Theraty

Activity: 196
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 02:31:50 PM

All four of these points can basically be boiled down to this argument:

There is an ideal distribution of resources, and given perfect knowledge and perfect morality, the price of an item would always reflect that ideal distribution, and would therefore be it's intrinsic value.

I can't really argue with that, except to say that the "ideal" is variable, and mankind does not have perfect knowledge, nor perfect morality. Nor can you deduce what the market price would be in such a situation from any information in the real world.

All that you can know is that the price of an item will asymptotically approach the price it would have in that ideal, which, as I said, is itself a moving target.

I would like to add to this point by myrkul, the "Ideal distribution of resources" much like anarcho-communism is an unachievable state because of the numerous shortcoming myrkul lays out.  But if such a state were to exist it would by definition no longer have any need for prices at all.  Prices exist as corrective signals which communicate shortages and gluts, the perfect distribution thus no longer needs prices and would become pure exchange.  Nor would such a state have any innovation, changes in taste or preference or any opportunity for profit, arbitrage or investment.  In other-words it would be a dead wax-replica of the real world.  The OP's fault lies in trying to project Platonic ideals onto the economy and prices in particular as he creates the notion of an almost other-worldly perfect price of which our real prices are but pale shadows of on the back wall of a stock exchange.  Platonic ideals are deservedly one of the most repudiated concepts in the history of philosophy and projecting them onto prices is a gross absurdity.

Whats your valuation/guesstimation of the bitcoin over the next year and what do you base this valuation on? I ask because you give a brilliant argument and sound like you know what your talking about?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: