Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 11:47:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trusting Blockchain.info with private keys and other worthy sources  (Read 296 times)
badboyrazor (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 07:42:48 PM

Just out of curiousity, I have used blockchain.info which is very trusted for putting in my private keys to import my bitcoins to send out to other addresses after they were stored offline. But what is to stop blockchain.info from becoming corrupt in the future and importing our old private keys and taking our bitcoins? The same goes with other wallets like Electrum and Jaxx? They are all very trusted. But would they ever want to become corrupt in the future? Could there be a hidden code in these wallets that is sending private keys to a central server for stealling your coins at a later date?

Also, how about QR code software? Pretend I made an app that reads QR codes in general for people. But as a software developer I install a code in software that sends every QR code that is read to a central server where it tries to sweep keys all day long.

Any thoughts on these scenarios? I have heard horror stories on this forum so I have to think with horror.
Naster

Activity: 698
Merit: 274

Crypto Currency Exchange, IPTV, AWS

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 07:46:17 PM

I'm also using blockchain info to store my bitcoins and would like to know more about the risks. Even if I move it to maybe Electrum, how would I know that they won't take my btc?

Sorry to hijack your post OP, I also want this to get answered

badboyrazor (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 07:54:08 PM

I'm also using blockchain info to store my bitcoins and would like to know more about the risks. Even if I move it to maybe Electrum, how would I know that they won't take my btc?

No worries, I always typically use offline storage through bitaddress.org and use my private key to import my bitcoins to electrum and in the past was blockchain.info. The problem is I would like to re-use my wallet and private keys with Jaxx, Electrum, and Blockchain.info instead of having to re-make a new wallet each time. I guess thats where the risk comes into play.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 08:16:16 PM

AFAIK, there haven't been any cases in which imported wallets from blockchain.info that were hijacked or stolen after it was imported to a new wallet e.g. Electrum. It's just that blockchain.info is notorious for its bugs mostly related with logins, showing balances and whatnot. So yea, it's safe to import. Unless you have a machine that has been infested or affected with malware.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: