Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:53:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting way to manipulate the difficulty?  (Read 766 times)
VolanicEruptor (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 03:30:42 PM

If everyone agrees to turn off their miners right before a difficulty change.. they could fake a lower network hash rate!  
In fact I believe this is what has been happening with a few big players..the network hash rate always seems to drop right before a change and this makes mining [temporarily] more profitable.
I don't think this would benefit someone with a small amount of hash power, but a big player like myself might benefit from unplugging a couple hours before the change.  i'll have to simulate this and see if its worth it.   Kiss brb k

edit: actually come to think of it, any gains from this technique should be wiped out by a counter affect from the following difficulty change... UNLESS it is pushed down EVERY time.  There would be an accumulation of network hash power that is always hidden from the difficulty changes... could this be why there is an "up and down" trend consistent with the time of the changes?  

I could see how this could cause a problem for the network if everyone decided to manipulate it this way.. We would basically be producing bitcoins at a faster rate than intended by the system.  I guess the only side affect would be that the value of the bitcoin itself would go down (who cares, right?)  

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 03:35:42 PM

Would never work.  Not only would there be a counter effect like you said, but good luck trying to get other miners to unplug.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 03:36:37 PM

You can "manipulate" difficulty lower but it would only cost you.

Lets say 10% of miners (by hashpower) turn of rigs 200 blocks before difficulty period ends.  That will reduce the difficulty post adjustment by roughly 10% * (200/2016) = ~1%.  So yes difficulty will be ~1% lower post adjustment and as a result you will earn about 1% more.  Of course what you are forgetting is that by turning off your rig for 200 blocks you will LOSE 200/2016 = ~10% resulting in a net loss of 9%.

Now for everyone who is good at math and doesn't participate it is just "free money" they mine 100% of the time and difficulty is still 1% lower.  It is merely a wealth transfer from those who do participate to those who don't.  In the example 10% of the miners voluntarily decide to make 9% less in order for the other 90% to make 1% more.
VolanicEruptor (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 03:36:58 PM

Would never work.  Not only would there be a counter effect like you said, but good luck trying to get other miners to unplug.

But what if you own 10% of the network?  Then it becomes beneficial to unplug a couple minutes before a change because that would be you're going to make 10% more during the next period.  

VolanicEruptor (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 03:38:21 PM

You can "manipulate" difficulty lower but it would only cost you.

Lets say 10% of miners (by hashpower) turn of rigs 200 blocks before difficulty period ends.  That will reduce the difficulty post adjustment by roughly 10% * (200/2016) = ~1%.  So yes difficulty will be ~1% lower post adjustment and as a result you will earn about 1% more.  Of course what you are forgetting is that by turning off your rig for 200 blocks you will LOSE 200/2016 = ~10% resulting in a net loss of 9%.

Now for everyone who is good at math and doesn't participate it is just "free money" they mine 100% of the time and difficulty is still 1% lower.  It is merely a wealth transfer from those who do participate to those who don't.  In the example 10% of the miners voluntarily decide to make 9% less in order for the other 90% to make 1% more.

You posted this right before i added my last comment..
You even used the same example of 10%... I missed that one fact that 10% <> 10%.  You're right..

edit: what if they turn it off 1 block before it ends?

Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 03:38:58 PM

Such a strategy would be a net loss to the miners who use it. The loss of income is larger than the potential gains of the lowered difficulty.

Also, the size of the difficulty adjustment depends on the time spent on the last 2016 blocks, not the current hashrate at the time of the adjustment. So a temporary dip in hashrate around the last few blocks of a cycle has almost 0 effect.
MrBea

Activity: 242

Bitcorns

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 03:40:31 PM

I think I figured it out.  Miners with new rigs waiting to be deployed would benefit from shutting of some time before difficulty change then when it adjusts BANG turn on old rigs and new rigs.

Does that make sense?

Gathering bitcorns.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 03:40:32 PM

But what if you own 10% of the network?  Then it becomes beneficial to unplug a couple minutes before a change because that would be you're going to make 10% more during the next period.  

Unplugging a couple minutes (1 block?) will not decrease difficulty by 10%.  The last block will take 10% longer (on average assuming 10% of hashrate is turned off) however the 2016 blocks will only take  0.005% (2016.1/2016) longer in aggregate.  Difficulty is based on the time and thus indirectly the average hashrate, over the entire 2016 blocks.

So yes difficulty will be 0.005% lower in the next period.
Yes you (and everyone else) will make 0.005% over the next 2016 blocks in the next period.
However  to do so it will cost you 1/2016 = 0.05% of your revenue.  
You will lose 10x what you gain.
VolanicEruptor (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 03:41:57 PM

Yep I get it now.. it was fun to think about though.   Tongue

Klestin

Activity: 493

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 03:42:45 PM

It sounds like you're under the impression that the speed is "measured" at the moment of a difficulty change. It is not. It is calculated based on the solving speed of all the blocks since the last difficulty change.  Shutting off 10% of the miners an hour before the difficulty change would have no different effect than shutting them down for any random hour.
VolanicEruptor (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 03:47:43 PM

Would never work.  Not only would there be a counter effect like you said, but good luck trying to get other miners to unplug.

It sounds like you're under the impression that the speed is "measured" at the moment of a difficulty change. It is not. It is calculated based on the solving speed of all the blocks since the last difficulty change.  Shutting off 10% of the miners an hour before the difficulty change would have no different effect than shutting them down for any random hour.

And that is one more reason to appreciate the system and how it works.  good job, Satoshi! (if he can hear me)  Tongue

pandher
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

Stagnation is Death

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2014, 03:51:34 PM

This can only work if there are less than 20 miners and you are one of the biggest ones. I have done this with an alt named Machinecoin which nobody knew about. I used to stop my miner just before 200 blocks and restart after difficulty dropped.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 03:58:08 PM

If everyone agrees to turn off their miners right before a difficulty change..

they already do this ...

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty
tzortz

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:26:31 PM

If everyone agrees to turn off their miners right before a difficulty change..

they already do this ...

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty

This looks more like testing a veeeeeery huge batch...

I wonder who?      Roll Eyes

All is Mine!

1H7LUdfx9AFTMSXPsCBror3RDk57zgnc2R
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: