Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:39:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Aluminum Casascius Coins at the Bitcoin Foundation Conference  (Read 10567 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
JohnGalt

Activity: 249
Merit: 114

Who is John Galt?

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 04:01:32 AM

Bought a couple of bags, time to fund them with 0.01 and hand them out to pretty much everyone.

Way ahead of you ...

Those are private keys (minikey format) on the back. I initialed each one to give it a personal touch.

Trade physical bitcoins: Economy > Marketplace > Goods > Collectibles
My signing address: 19mzFU4zFrZHkAkHSUta6LapJ6fTFJyhiH
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
statdude
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 07:37:13 PM

Bought a couple of bags, time to fund them with 0.01 and hand them out to pretty much everyone.

Way ahead of you ...

Those are private keys (minikey format) on the back. I initialed each one to give it a personal touch.

Anyone have a bag of these they'd be interested in selling.

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███████████████████████ █
█ █████     █ ▀██████████ █
█ █████     █   ▀████████ █
█ █████  ██ █     ▀██████ █

█ █████  ▀▀ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████ █
█ █████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █████ █
█ █████             █████ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
  Website
    Twitter
      Gitlab
      Reddit
    Telegram
Whitepaper
  ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███▄    ███████▀   ▄███ █
█ ████▌    █████▀    ████ █
█ ████▌     ███▀     ████ █
█ ████▌▐█    █▀ █    ████ █
█ ████▌▐██     ██    ████ █
█ ████▌▐███   ███    ████ █
█ ███▀  ▀███ ███▀    ▀███ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
piit79

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Time for Plan ฿

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 12:58:32 PM

They look very good! I just wish they said "Vires in numeris" like the brass coins Smiley
BitAddict
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 01:36:14 PM

Way ahead of you ...

This is great to spread the word! In my next order to Casascius I will take them Smiley

In Spain we need hard work, since almost no one knows about Bitcoin.
piit79

Activity: 336

Time for Plan ฿

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 01:37:24 PM

I just ordered two bags, will be selling them in lots of 10. Will post link here when I finish the write-up Smiley
naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

howdy

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 10:45:23 PM

Very cool!

No_2

Activity: 901
Merit: 1031

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 10:05:56 AM

Mike: what is the gold coloured one in the above photo?
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2013, 01:52:34 PM

I have some of them that are colored (anodized) - gold, green, blue, purple, and red.  I only got a few bags of each color (though I got quite a few extras of the gold)

They cost a bit more to color though.  It's about 18 cents more a coin.  I got them in the hopes I could laser engrave on the back of them (the bare coins just reflect the laser off and it does nothing).  For those who the extra cost is worth it, they're available.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
No_2

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 08:31:22 AM

I have some of them that are colored (anodized) - gold, green, blue, purple, and red.  I only got a few bags of each color (though I got quite a few extras of the gold)

They cost a bit more to color though.  It's about 18 cents more a coin.  I got them in the hopes I could laser engrave on the back of them (the bare coins just reflect the laser off and it does nothing).  For those who the extra cost is worth it, they're available.

Mike: I've sent you an email about this - can I check you've got it as I want to append some of these to my order before you ship if that's ok.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2013, 11:13:25 PM

Mike: I've sent you an email about this - can I check you've got it as I want to append some of these to my order before you ship if that's ok.

Am I being responsive to you?  (I can't tell by your username if you're someone I"m talking to in e-mail)... Regardless I definitely can add these.

Also, I have them available in gold, blue, green, red, and purple.  The colored coins cost (at current prices) 1 additional BTC per bag (18 cents a coin - $90/bag of 500 = approx 1BTC at current rates).  Can mix and match colors.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
No_2

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 11:54:10 PM

Mike: yes got your mail thanks, just didn't want to miss you if you'd already posted out my order.
No_2

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 11:27:11 PM

Mike: am I correct in thinking 80,000 of these aluminium coins were minted? If so how many where silver and how many of those blue, purple, gold, green and red?
wttbs
Legendary

Activity: 2210
Merit: 1109

View Profile
January 13, 2016, 06:05:01 PM

These coins are still available at casascius website. I ordered some for my project and d*mn they are (still) very nice coins.

Anddos

Activity: 378

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 06:03:43 PM

I'm not sure I understand the point of these coins. So you minted 80.000 pieces and sell them at 0.50$ for 5.000 pieces? Why? Do you even cover your manufacturing expenses?

hephaist0s

Activity: 711
Merit: 532

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 06:25:34 PM

These coins are still available at casascius website. I ordered some for my project and d*mn they are (still) very nice coins.

Wow, it's great that these are still available! I had just assumed... not. Thanks for the post.

Tips graciously accepted on my behalf by Mr. Pig. | object2212.com | BTC:1H78y8FVeQrWY6KnxA6WLFQGUoajCuiMAu | ETH:0x3c1bC39EC7F3f6b26ACb6eeeEFe7dE2f486a72E9
wttbs
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 06:35:08 PM

[PIC]

Wow, it's great that these are still available! I had just assumed... not. Thanks for the post.

The (standard) alumuniums are sold out Mike told me. Only anodize versions are left, don't know how much and what color...
Raimonn
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 06:38:14 PM

Can you tell if they shipped the aluminium Casascius coins with the stickers holograms? Or do you know somewhere to buy the stickers for this coins?
wttbs
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 07:02:27 PM

[PIC]

Can you tell if they shipped the aluminium Casascius coins with the stickers holograms? Or do you know somewhere to buy the stickers for this coins?

Coins only are shipped.

Sticker holograms you can find on ebay, just do a simple search: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/hologram-sticker
nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 12:30:02 AM

I have one aluminum blank with the indentation on the back, and one without. Wonder how many of each there are?

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
wttbs
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 03:30:36 PM

I have one aluminum blank with the indentation on the back, and one without. Wonder how many of each there are?

I opened the beginning of one roll, they all have an indentation. Three coins have an imperfection that looks like a "1" but I guess it has something to do with the anodizing process and is not intended.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: