Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:51:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to store BTC for the Segwit2X fork?  (Read 400 times)
davecrypto (OP)

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 09:18:56 AM

Hello,

I am curious what to do with my BTC during the segwit2X fork that will occur around 16-18th of November.

Many people say that it is recommended to store the BTC on a hardwarewallet or Electrum etc because you have access to your own private keys.

Coinbase offers full segwit2x support and also will credit your BTC 1:1 B2X. https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/2892985-segwit-2x-faq

So wouldn't it be a better idea to just store the BTC on coinbase?
They offer their own reply protection and you are able to sell/trade BTC / B2X faster than storing it on your own wallet.

If you leave your BTC on Electrum wallet, you have to transfer your BTC to coinbase afte the fork to be able to tget access/trade B2X if I understand right.

CORNUCOPIA    || Gain Access to Amazing IPOs || [ Pre-Ico 2018 ]

Whitepaper    Facebook TwitterTelegram

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pitham1
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 09:40:35 AM

Hello,

I am curious what to do with my BTC during the segwit2X fork that will occur around 16-18th of November.

Many people say that it is recommended to store the BTC on a hardwarewallet or Electrum etc because you have access to your own private keys.

Coinbase offers full segwit2x support and also will credit your BTC 1:1 B2X. https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/2892985-segwit-2x-faq

They offer their own reply protection and you are able to sell/trade BTC / B2X faster than storing it on your own wallet.

If you leave your BTC on Electrum wallet, you have to transfer your BTC to coinbase afte the fork to be able to tget access/trade B2X if I understand right.

Yes, if you trust Coinbase, it would be best to store your coins there. A lot of people stored coins on their own wallets during the Bitcoin Cash fork. When they wanted to dump BCH after the fork, they couldn't do so quickly enough. People who did store their coins on exchanges got almost 0.2BTC for their BCH by dumping coins quickly.

davecrypto (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 09:43:48 AM

Hello,

Yes, if you trust Coinbase, it would be best to store your coins there. A lot of people stored coins on their own wallets during the Bitcoin Cash fork. When they wanted to dump BCH after the fork, they couldn't do so quickly enough. People who did store their coins on exchanges got almost 0.2BTC for their BCH by dumping coins quickly.

Thanks for the answer.

I just wanted to login at coinbase but it doesn't work. I always get reffered to loginpage, no error message!?

olushakes

Activity: 476
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 09:54:19 AM

Hello,

Here we go again, the link you quoted has told you what you need to do if you trust coinbase to live to their word which I am sure they will because that will be bad for business. If you choose not to trust them, then you know the risk that if you put it on spectrum, then be sure to wait until there is a platform to claim your B2x. Also, after the fork, you will have to claim your B2x somewhere else and not on coinbase because its only the one on their platform as at the time of the fork will be credited
davecrypto (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 10:08:43 AM

Also, after the fork, you will have to claim your B2x somewhere else and not on coinbase because its only the one on their platform as at the time of the fork will be credited

I have to claim my B2X somewhere else? I thought Coinbase will credit you with B2X if you have BTC on their exchange?

If I have to claim it somewhere else then I would keep my BTC on Electrum wallet... where to claim B2X then?
...it's the same problem as with BTG, I stored the BTC on my electrum wallet and were not able to claim BTG when the fork happened because I did not store it on an exchange, so I want able to get the BTG when it was worth more.

Kewatia

Activity: 299
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 10:09:00 AM

Hello,

If you want to trade the Bitcoin and split them soon. It is better to store in an exchange.
TheCoinFinder
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2017, 10:11:23 AM

Hello,

Before bitcoin gold fork, people were similarly saying that online wallets are not safe even we know some exchanges are advanced in security like coinbase and yobit.
Yobit.net is one among major exchanges that protected my BTC at the time of fork and they were also first to anounce exchange of bitcoin gold.
I am further to settle my BTC at yobit till next fork.

.Deviant.io.                ▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄
             ▄█▀▀░░░░░░░░░▀▀█▄
           ██▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
         ▄█▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄
        ▐█░░░▄████████████████▄░░
        █▌░░███▀▀▀████████▀▀▀██▌▐█
        █▌░░█████▌  ▐▄▄   ██████░▐█
        ██░░▀██████████████████░▒██
        ▄██▄▄███▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀███▄░▄███▄
     ▄██▓▓▓██▓▓███▀▀▒▒▒▀▀███▓▓██▓▓▓▓██
    ▐█▓▓▓▓█▓██▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌▒▀████▓█▓▓▓
    ▀███████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▀█▒▒▒████████▀
      ▀████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄█▀▒▒█▒██▀▒████▀
      ▐█▓█▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒██▒▓▓▓▒▀▒▒▒▒▓██▓█▌
      ██▓█▌▒▒▒▒▒▒██▓████▓▒▒▒▓▓▒███▓█▌
      ▐█▓██▒▒▒▒███▀▒▒▒█▌▓▓▓██▀▒██▓█▌
       ██▒█▌▒▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▌▓██▀▒▒▒▒█▒██
        ██▒██▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▀▒▒▒▒▒▒██▒██
         ▀█▓▓██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄██▓▓█▀
           ▀██▒▀█████▄█████▀▓██▀
         ▄▄▓▓▓█████▄▄▓▄▄█████▓▓▄▄

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓     ▓▀▓▓▓▌
     ▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓        ▐▓▓▌
     ▓▓▓               ▐▓▓▓▌
    ▐▓▓▓               ▓▓▓▓▌
    ▐▓▓▓▓             ▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▐▓▓▓▓▓▄▄         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▐▓▓▓▓         ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀      ▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌   ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          ▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▐▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌   ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌   ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌   ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌   ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▌

░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░▓▓▓▓░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓▓▓²         ` ║▓▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓▓              ╢▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓Γ    ▓╥  ╓▓┐    ▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓     ╙`   ╙     ▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓╥   ─,,  ,,─   ╓▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓▓▓▓░░▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓▀▀▀▓▓▓▓▓    ▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓   `▓▓▓▀        ▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓▌            ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓       ,▄▄▓▓   ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▄,▄▄   ▐▓▓▓▓▓   ▀▀ '▀▓
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▀▓▀▀▀       ▄▓
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓             ▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓▀       ▄▄▓▓▌   ▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓▓▄▄▄▄   ▓▓▓▓▓▄,▄▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄  ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
Netnox
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 10:42:01 AM

If you keep the coins in some of the exchanges such as Bitfinex and YoBit, then you need not do anything to claim the B2X coins. But if you have your coins in a wallet such as Blockchain.info, then you need to export your private keys to some B2X-compatible wallet in order to receive these coins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: