Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:01:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 259 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][ZEN] Horizen: Unbounded By Design  (Read 217126 times)
realstarlord

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 03:07:34 AM

Now for some dumb questions.

What is the difference between making a "backup" of my Swing wallet and Exporting my private keys? Do I need to do both to backup my wallet? I would assume I should store these on a USB in a safe place.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
daemonfox

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 03:17:23 AM

What is the difference between making a "backup" of my Swing wallet and Exporting my private keys? Do I need to do both to backup my wallet? I would assume I should store these on a USB in a safe place.

In the swing wallet on Windows, go to Own Addresses tab at the top, see your wallet in the area below? Right click and click Obtain Private Key...

That is the Private Key, privkey or AKA the only thing you need to own the accompanying Public Key AKA pubkey and then a shorter address shown to you in the UI of your wallet, which is what you give others as your wallet address.

The difference is backing up the wallet.dat is just a file backup quickly readable by the core client. Those privkeys you export are the real ticket... if you EVER lose your data and comp or w/e... as long as you have those privkeys, you will always be able to open a new wallet on a new machine, and import them. Once it syncs the transactions into the new wallet.dat file (automatic as part of the import privkey process) your funds will be available again for you to send and receive to that address.

Put your privkey on paper in safe places where they wont be lost and encrypt the original wallet.dat to a USB or even CD/DVD. REMEMBER YOUR PASSWORD!!!!!

H

¦¦¦                 
            ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦         
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦       
        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦         
      ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦           ¦           
     ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦                     ¦¦   
    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦        ¦¦¦¦ 
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦  
   ¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
  ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
  ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦              ¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦¦¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦ 
    ¦¦¦¦¦       ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦     ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
     ¦¦                      ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   
              ¦           ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   
           ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦     
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦       
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦          

R I Z E N
....ZEN Nodes.... ....Horizen Academy.... ....Help Desk    ....Faucet   
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
Regulater

Activity: 273
Merit: 12

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 05:41:33 AM

Anyone else here mining on zen.suprnova.cc, looks like ther ehas been a lot of issues on it. For example, their pool hashrate will show much higher than it should and breaks down the payment based on the pool hashrate. Right now it is showing the Pool Hashrate as the global hashrate with a user having over 3GH/s. Everytime it does this increase, payouts go down 90% when these hashrate glitches happen. These random users with 1GH/s and above randomly appear for a little while then just dissapear completely. Is this usual on Suprnova? Just seems a little weird.

Just refreshed and it looks even worse now. the 3.5 GH/s dropped to 2.8 GH/s when the total Pool Hash is only 2 GH/s, yet the person with more hashrates than the pool is still receiving shares.
MedaR
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1026

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 11:34:13 AM
Last edit: October 09, 2018, 09:09:40 AM by MedaR

Example:

NODE 1 has say, 500 points on the benchmark which only allows it to participate at level 1, 42 coins minimum and no further coins will give it weight.
NODE 2 has say, 1000 points on the benchmark which allows it to participate at level 2, 42 coins minimum and 84 coins max and it has twice the weight potential but no further weight for more coins.
NODE 3 has say, 10000 points which allows it to participate at level 5, 42 coins minimum and 210 coins maximum allowing it to have five times a level 1 nodes weight potential.

In my mind this performs two very important things:

1. Less BS tiny nodes with par performance fighting and causing a huge, possibly laggy network of tracked nodes to accomplish the network goals.
2. Invites REAL hardware backed players to build quality nodes instead of quantity, fostering a positive environment that offers those who want to invest, a safe and scalable way to do so within a node.

I'm for increasing of this number required coins because this is the one good way to create pressure on demand. Also it will attract more people and network will grow more rapidly. This way you do not need to count on people who do this from their deep core beliefs. This number shoud be at lest 5x greater that it is. Also i'm for flexibil percentage, it shall start as 3.5% and should go to 20% after a while, For example.  
I'm not for benchmarking nodes, this is too much. Just create good economic reason and you will get bunch of good nodes instantly. Only this will attack many people to join.

You can rent this space
twiifm

Activity: 784

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 11:35:30 AM

Zencash will pass 20$ in 2018. I bought 600 Zencash from Bittrex and keep getting it as I catch it low. I think I will make nice money in the near future, keep working on the zencash team!
MedaR
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 11:45:42 AM

-*-
Why don't you address this problem to Suprnova i'm not so experienced with this but this doesn't have anything with ZenCash. This is related to pools settings. Even better come to Slack channel so your problems can be resolved much faster.

You can rent this space
realstarlord

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 12:37:14 PM

In the swing wallet on Windows, go to Own Addresses tab at the top, see your wallet in the area below? Right click and click Obtain Private Key...

That is the Private Key, privkey or AKA the only thing you need to own the accompanying Public Key AKA pubkey and then a shorter address shown to you in the UI of your wallet, which is what you give others as your wallet address.

The difference is backing up the wallet.dat is just a file backup quickly readable by the core client. Those privkeys you export are the real ticket... if you EVER lose your data and comp or w/e... as long as you have those privkeys, you will always be able to open a new wallet on a new machine, and import them. Once it syncs the transactions into the new wallet.dat file (automatic as part of the import privkey process) your funds will be available again for you to send and receive to that address.

Put your privkey on paper in safe places where they wont be lost and encrypt the original wallet.dat to a USB or even CD/DVD. REMEMBER YOUR PASSWORD!!!!!

Thanks much for the detailed info. That all makes sense. I guess my only concern is if my pc were to be compromised in some way, is there any way to put a pw of some sort on the Swing Wallet itself? I would assume as of now if someone were able to remotely access my pc they could just open my Swing Wallet and send my coin to an address of their choosing. Maybe I am just paranoid..
daemonfox

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 01:11:00 PM

Thanks much for the detailed info. That all makes sense. I guess my only concern is if my pc were to be compromised in some way, is there any way to put a pw of some sort on the Swing Wallet itself? I would assume as of now if someone were able to remotely access my pc they could just open my Swing Wallet and send my coin to an address of their choosing. Maybe I am just paranoid..

Not paranoid, those are good questions. Caring about your crypto security is paramount because you are your own bank here.

For now it appears the encrypt wallet feature is not activated in the wallet itself. It was suggested you use another encryption software to lock up the wallet.dat file. You will have to decrypt it manually then start the wallet software to use it. Then close it and encrypt it again manually.

Soon it will be embedded.

H

¦¦¦                 
            ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦         
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦       
        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦         
      ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦           ¦           
              ¦           ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   
           ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦     
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦       
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦          

R I Z E N
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
realstarlord

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 01:40:04 PM

Not paranoid, those are good questions. Caring about your crypto security is paramount because you are your own bank here.

For now it appears the encrypt wallet feature is not activated in the wallet itself. It was suggested you use another encryption software to lock up the wallet.dat file. You will have to decrypt it manually then start the wallet software to use it. Then close it and encrypt it again manually.

Soon it will be embedded.

that would be a great feature. Can't wait till we are on Trezor!!! Smiley
MedaR
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 02:34:21 PM

Small tips!

1. Do not click on random links provided by suspicions members.
2. Accounts can be hacked and can be Misused by attackers..Thay can modifiy links so you won't have a chance to see a diference for some time..
3. Never click on quoted links thay can also be dangerous.
4. If you notice strange behavior alarm others.
5. Avoid uses Skype or other systems that can easely be compromised.
6. Personal mesages here can be dangerous, mails..
7. Back up system and datas!!!
8. Use 2fa whenever you can.
9. Passwords and wallet-datas shoud be stored on encrypted drives.
10. Attackers mostly using social engineering, so improve your behaivior!!!
 Smiley

Some viruses can change clipboard, so be sure what you pasted is actually what you copied:
Click now if you dare! Grin
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1605496.0

You can rent this space
itasannah

Activity: 798
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 02:48:40 PM

By opening this new thread, did this mean that ZenCash is reopening the ICO? If that what the purpose, will it has other bounty campaign open?
MedaR
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 03:04:27 PM

By opening this new thread, did this mean that ZenCash is reopening the ICO? If that what the purpose, will it has other bounty campaign open?
This is not an ICO and never was! Previous thread is locked by moderator and he explained why. We have two campaigns active and they are not bounties programs. I'm not sure where from you got such ICO idea?

You can rent this space
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 04:21:36 PM

zencash buy opportunity, you should get it now! a few days ago, there is a nice movement in zencash. If you want to win, make your zencash accumulation.
MedaR
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 10:13:54 AM
Last edit: October 09, 2018, 09:12:34 AM by MedaR

Do not worry about price, for this is quality greed for BCC - free coins, which will be soon over and mass of those BTC's will be free again to trade and invest in alts.
So stay calm and wait, this will be soon over and patience will be rewarded. Try collecting some while you can get it at lower pricies.
 Wink

You can rent this space
FFI2013

Activity: 906
Merit: 507

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 10:47:01 AM

Is there still a signature campaign when I googled it I was led to a blank bct page
MedaR
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 11:49:30 AM

Is there still a signature campaign when I googled it I was led to a blank bct page
Yes there is you can find it here! Please recheck spreadsheet i think there is no free slots for your rank.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2047428

Few posts before, i posted links for Twitter and Avatar campaign.

@OP it would be wise to add links to opening page as soon as possible, we need all in one place.

You can rent this space
bambu1

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 04:20:02 PM

Is this no bounty sosmed? Whether just for signature campaign
MedaR
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 12:31:23 PM

Locking of previous thread was best explained by moderator, we cannot go deeper into this, there is no point. We have this thread now and this is it, old one won't be unlocked. ZenCash is more than one thread or few web destinations..

You can rent this space
daemonfox

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 01:12:40 PM

Locking of previous thread was best explained by moderator, we cannot go deeper into this, there is no point. We have this thread now and this is it, old one won't be unlocked. ZenCash is more than one thread or few web destinations..

To MedaR's point... BCT has and is serving its purpose for the time being... a launchpad and initial repository for new info, for new participants to get that info. Any other activity in these threads was out of scope and the mods handled it. There really are no secret details, it is black and white.

New thread accomplishes the same goal as before, and really no one should be lurking here thinking you will catch every single announcement or detail. There are a half dozen non BCT links listed in the THREE OPs for this coin (ok lol I know but at least Google now has THREE BCT results to cache for ZEN right?) and keeping up with the slack, blog and twitter will give you more up to date info.

H

¦¦¦                 
            ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦         
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦       
        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦         
      ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦           ¦           
              ¦           ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   
           ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦     
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦       
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦          

R I Z E N
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
Zencash (OP)

Activity: 113
Merit: 29

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2017, 02:41:05 PM

The previous thread lock seems questionable but alas this is the "host" so, their house.

GL with this thread lol!

Not that I am anywhere near qualified enough to code such a thing... but wouldn't the node requirements and the entire network benefit from a more flexible set of parameters that helped match coin totals and actual process power to those coin allocations?

Follow me here... all the 42 coin node requirement does is allow for a SPAM net of nodes with the MOST MINIMAL resources available to hook in and completely flood it with barely on par performance. I do not know the entire ins and outs of the node proposal... but it would seem to me if it is any nodes chance at any time to calc and submit encrypted transactions, then mostly the high I/O nodes will win out every time, so very quickly all your SPAM net nodes can't profit and die. Now that leaves more expensive hardware based nodes, which likely also means they are being run by those with means to supply enough ZEN to create their own army of high I/O nodes. That creates an environment where your everyday community member can't compete and you end up with a small set of nodes to prop up your growing network. Even if you kept a running order of which node gets to calc the next set of encrypted transactions... that is additional P2P overhead required to do so and still allows a small subset to own node income. It just seems counterproductive to the desired end goal.

Maybe I have no fucking clue what I am saying, but I had an idea to share and if it has merit, please run with it.

Nodes should have SEVERAL coin value thresholds. These thresholds should also be pinned to some sort of benchmark for the encryption of transactions by nodes which will score that nodes I/O throughput . Set ranges for the benchmark scores and allow a HIGHER coin amount on those higher tiered I/O nodes to give them higher priority in the processing order, but only give them the priority of the actual coin amount held. Couple that with a check to see what that node last did over 24 hours or X blocks before allowing it to do so again.

This would add a POS weight type design to this, giving all nodes equal chance I believe... tracking only their last known weight or w/e the measurement would be.

Example:

NODE 1 has say, 500 points on the benchmark which only allows it to participate at level 1, 42 coins minimum and no further coins will give it weight.
NODE 2 has say, 1000 points on the benchmark which allows it to participate at level 2, 42 coins minimum and 84 coins max and it has twice the weight potential but no further weight for more coins.
NODE 3 has say, 10000 points which allows it to participate at level 5, 42 coins minimum and 210 coins maximum allowing it to have five times a level 1 nodes weight potential.

In my mind this performs two very important things:

1. Less BS tiny nodes with par performance fighting and causing a huge, possibly laggy network of tracked nodes to accomplish the network goals.
2. Invites REAL hardware backed players to build quality nodes instead of quantity, fostering a positive environment that offers those who want to invest, a safe and scalable way to do so within a node.

While I know more nodes sounds better... that was for old coin algo design. I do not see a flood of cheap nodes benefiting this project in the long run. So give some bigger hardware players room to scale while guaranteeing the smaller players can still earn.

It is a delicate balance so I will not pretend any of what you are doing is easy. The above is just one of those AHA moments I thought worth sharing.

Thanks for giving this some thought! Avoiding having a bunch of cheap nodes that don't help the network is definitely part of the design. We are having active discussion on this thread at the ZenCash forum:
https://forum.zensystem.io/t/secure-node-tracking-and-payment-system-software-development-project-discussion/126/63

And if you are on the ZenCash slack you can see or participate in the testing of the node tracking software in the #developers and #securenodes thread.s

HORIZEN ►►► Unbounded By Design
Discord -------- ANN Thread -------- Blog -------- Telegram  --------  YouTube -------- Twitter
ZenCash extended it's brand on 22nd August 2018 now is HORIZEN
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 259 »
  Print  

Jump to: