Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:52:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I need bitcoind for a Bitcoin involved webservice?  (Read 1376 times)
Kazimir (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:44:47 AM

I want to create a website which does Bitcoin transactions, i.e. generating new addresses, receiving payments (that is, checking the balance of address) and signing + sending transactions.

Do I need to run bitcoind for this on my webserver? Or could I also just use scripts, such as bitaddress.org for generating addresses (but a server side variant, e.g. PHP) and similar for the other required tasks?

If I do indeed need bitcoind, do I understand correctly that I'd typically need a VPS or dedicated server for this, as hosting Bitcoin related stuff on a shared server is probably a bad idea, security-wise? (Besides, I guess most shared hosting won't even allow installing or running custom daemons like bitcoind)

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Aleksei Richards

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:10:53 AM

Have a look at the code for carbonwallet, no server at all and does all the things you are looking to do.
behindtext

Activity: 121
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 11:37:18 AM

I want to create a website which does Bitcoin transactions, i.e. generating new addresses, receiving payments (that is, checking the balance of address) and signing + sending transactions.

Do I need to run bitcoind for this on my webserver? Or could I also just use scripts, such as bitaddress.org for generating addresses (but a server side variant, e.g. PHP) and similar for the other required tasks?

If I do indeed need bitcoind, do I understand correctly that I'd typically need a VPS or dedicated server for this, as hosting Bitcoin related stuff on a shared server is probably a bad idea, security-wise? (Besides, I guess most shared hosting won't even allow installing or running custom daemons like bitcoind)

it's all a matter of how much manpower and tx volume you have: if your tx volume is low, you can surely use an api for a service and it will work fine. in the case that the tx volume is high, you will likely see a benefit from having a local bitcoind, e.g. latency will be less likely to affect whether a given tx makes it into the current block. having a local bitcoind also gives more visibility into the tx submission process and allows you to rule out issues with someone else's software/site if problems arise.

you should not even consider running any service that creates tx on a VPS. if you are handling wallets and creating tx, you are likely handling the private keys for addresses and those could be stolen by someone who owns your VPS.

Kazimir (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 01:11:01 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I understand the difference between using an API (like blockchain.info or carbonwallet) and running bitcoind myself. I don't expect a huge volume so I will consider what is easiest in my situation to start with.

you should not even consider running any service that creates tx on a VPS. if you are handling wallets and creating tx, you are likely handling the private keys for addresses and those could be stolen by someone who owns your VPS.
Yes, agreed. Then again, wouldn't the same be true for a dedicated server? (unless I'm hosting it myself, in my own basement)

Also, when using blockchain.info API to generate new addresses, essentially I still take a risk that they secretly store my private key, right? (not that I expect them to, I trust blockchain.info, but of course it's always better if you don't need trust)

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
johnblaze

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 02:52:49 PM

carbon wallet looks very interesting
bearsworth

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 02:25:45 AM

I was also looking for a solution to this. Could someone point me about how to set it up on a vps or maybe my own server?

Bitrated user: cryptomark.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: