Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:40:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum acting weird or has it been hacked - posts deleted/merges/rendering issues  (Read 420 times)
YuTü.Co.in (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 350

Re-monetizing YouTubers via Crypto-commodities

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2017, 12:45:18 AM

The following is seen on Chrome and IE ...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1858841.msg20429496#msg20429496

Same post - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1858841.msg20429496#msg20429496 - to illustrate merging issues. This user submitted two posts back-to-back in ~24 hours in between, but his posts (among others) merged as one which is highly problematic given that the timestamps of the posts are highly important for the campaign participations. I can't picture a mod doing such, but if the case, I'd say he needs replacing if new to the job.

The post(s) linked above can be seen here - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1858841.msg18512006#msg18512006 (scroll toward the bottom of post) - where there is no rendering issue [that I've witnessed to date].

Check my PM and you'll see that I had a post deleted that was merged with another post of mine, the standalone post no longer the case, with its URL PM'ed to the affected user at the time of its penning now longer functionable.

Meanwhile, I've most recently received PMs directing me to some site, but I've seen that at least 2 posts here in Meta have been created to bring such to your attention, thus just letting you know here that I, too, have been PM'ed spam/scam/phishing attempt/whatever.

Thank you, guys.

Bruno

PS: This thread is being watched so no funny business I'll be made aware of replies.

"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
YuTü.Co.in (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 350

Re-monetizing YouTubers via Crypto-commodities

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2017, 12:54:22 AM

I think there's a direct correlation of the time when I was sent a PM for the post deletion notice and when posts (example linked in OP) were merged, thus that act possibly causing the rendering issue regardless if a mod or some other messed with the thread.

The thread is self-moderated and had no need for a mod to visit it so to correct something that wasn't broken.

Bruno

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 12:18:10 AM

Still not resolved and waiting for an update/explanation.

Bruno
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 12:42:16 AM

It was merged by a moderator. Posting twice in a row within 24 hours isn't allowed even in selfmod threads because it unfairly bumps the thread.

The messed up text is mojibake as a result of charset-mismatch issues, probably caused by a partially-loaded page or weird configuration at the moderator's end. I haven't seen this particular thing happen before, so I'll assume for now that it was a momentary glitch somewhere. I fixed it.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2017, 01:21:39 AM
Last edit: August 01, 2017, 12:03:38 PM by mprep

It was merged by a moderator. Posting twice in a row within 24 hours isn't allowed even in selfmod threads because it unfairly bumps the thread.

The messed up text is mojibake as a result of charset-mismatch issues, probably caused by a partially-loaded page or weird configuration at the moderator's end. I haven't seen this particular thing happen before, so I'll assume for now that it was a momentary glitch somewhere. I fixed it.
Yeah, my bad. I'm using my own userscript to merge duplicate consecutive posts. While one of the moderators pointed out that it sometimes glitches with characters from non-english languages, I wasn't able to replicate it and didn't think it'd affect the main altcoin boards (since everything posted there should be in English). Was going to rewrite the script in another language sooner or later anyway so might as well start now.

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 01:35:54 AM

Okay, so we established that a mod (perhaps drinking  Tongue Tongue Tongue) merged the posts and not some rogue actor.

You identified and fixed the problem, albeit the issue is still seen in the posts linked to.

Posting twice in a row within 24 hours isn't allowed on this USELESS<according to Leroy Fodor> forum, thus I, for one (among countless others), should be permanently banned for breaking this rule, but please disregard this paragraph because I just took up drinking.  Tongue Tongue Tongue

Now, let's address why the user's posts were merged because he allegedly unintentionally posted twice in a row within 24 hours, perhaps also deserving 500 lashes with a wet noodle.

The time of the user's first post in question: (this and the following archived here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1858841.msg18512006#msg18512006)

The time of the user's second post in question:

According to my calendar (or is it clock?; I missed that day at school due to having the chickenpox), exactly 24 hours + 1:06:38 between postings equating to 25 hours, 6 minutes and 38 seconds passing, which I'm almost certain that that's over 24 hours. Somebody check my maths (or is it clocks?).

Yeah, my bad. I'm using my own userscript to merge duplicate posts. While one of the moderators pointed out that it sometimes glitches with characters from non-english languages, I wasn't able to replicate it and didn't think it'd affect the main altcoin boards (since everything posted there should be in English). Was going to rewrite the script in another language sooner or later anyway so might as well start now.

Drinking mod  Tongue Tongue Tongue, why did you use a script meant to merge duplicate posts in this instance when clearly the two posts weren't duplicates - completely different content, albeit the format was exactly identical?

Here's the deal. Revert everything back to the way it was and we'll forget the whole thing, whereupon once done you can lock this thread after penning a post apologizing to me simply stating resolved.

Deal?

Bruno

PS: Thanks, theymos and mod(s), for looking into this for me. You guys are the bestest.  Kiss Kiss Kiss
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2017, 12:24:15 PM

Okay, so we established that a mod (perhaps drinking  Tongue Tongue Tongue) merged the posts and not some rogue actor.

You identified and fixed the problem, albeit the issue is still seen in the posts linked to.

Posting twice in a row within 24 hours isn't allowed on this USELESS<according to Leroy Fodor> forum, thus I, for one (among countless others), should be permanently banned for breaking this rule, but please disregard this paragraph because I just took up drinking.  Tongue Tongue Tongue

Now, let's address why the user's posts were merged because he allegedly unintentionally posted twice in a row within 24 hours, perhaps also deserving 500 lashes with a wet noodle.

The time of the user's first post in question: (this and the following archived here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1858841.msg18512006#msg18512006)

The time of the user's second post in question:

According to my calendar (or is it clock?; I missed that day at school due to having the chickenpox), exactly 24 hours + 1:06:38 between postings equating to 25 hours, 6 minutes and 38 seconds passing, which I'm almost certain that that's over 24 hours. Somebody check my maths (or is it clocks?).

Yeah, my bad. I'm using my own userscript to merge duplicate posts. While one of the moderators pointed out that it sometimes glitches with characters from non-english languages, I wasn't able to replicate it and didn't think it'd affect the main altcoin boards (since everything posted there should be in English). Was going to rewrite the script in another language sooner or later anyway so might as well start now.

Drinking mod  Tongue Tongue Tongue, why did you use a script meant to merge duplicate posts in this instance when clearly the two posts weren't duplicates - completely different content, albeit the format was exactly identical?

Here's the deal. Revert everything back to the way it was and we'll forget the whole thing, whereupon once done you can lock this thread after penning a post apologizing to me simply stating resolved.

Deal?

Bruno

PS: Thanks, theymos and mod(s), for looking into this for me. You guys are the bestest.  Kiss Kiss Kiss

1. Bumping is limited to once every 24 hours either by the OP or someone who OP designated (not everyone participating within the topic).

2. Old bumps / "updates" should be deleted. As such your consecutive posts were merged as well.

3. Sorry, I meant consecutive, not duplicate posts.

4. Fixed the quotes and a few remaining other broken bits of text in your linked post, thanks for the heads up.

5. No, I will not undelete the posts.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: