Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:23:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin Education Project (Update)  (Read 2900 times)
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2013, 02:25:21 AM

I wanted to give the community an update on our progress with the Bitcoin Education Project. We have acquired the domain btcedproject.org and we are developing a centralized project website with wordpress to serve as a project hub. Until then I'd like to share the mission of the project with everyone.

When I first got involved in bitcoin, I considered it to be a technological curiosity, but not a legitimate store of value. It seemed like another project that would eventually die off save a few loyalists. But you guys wouldn't throw in the towel and thus Bitcoin has grown. It's grown so large that we are now at the edge of mainstream acceptance. Yet we won't get there if we don't resolve two problems.

First there is the enormous barrier to entry for the bitcoin ecosystem. It requires knowledge sets that are beyond what we should expect from average computer users. Everyone here should be proud they have mastered the skill sets, yet millions have not nor should be expected to do so independently. Therefore, the community must work tirelessly to both teach new users about Bitcoin in an easy to understand, yet comprehensive way while also developing better, more user friendly software.

I firmly believe in the will and skills of our community's software devs and thus the latter shouldn't be an issue. The Bitcoin Education Project is taking the mantle of removing the knowledge barriers to entry for newcomers. Yet we also have the second issue of personal relatability.

People have to see why Bitcoin is important to them. We have to show the social innovation, the technological accomplishments, the rich history,the entrepreneurial opportunities and also the changes to economics should a decentralized deflationary currency be embraced.

I cannot do this alone. I need members of this community to share their years of experience and passion to the next generation. People have to understand why Bitcoin is awesome. Thus I need your help to record lectures for our course, speak at local meetups, market the course and improve the quality of what we already have shared.

If you are a veteran in any of these five areas and want to help bring the mainstream into our community, then please post here or PM me:

(1) Technology of Bitcoin
(2) The History of Bitcoin
(3) The Economics of Bitcoin
(4) The Entrepreneurial Opportunities of Bitcoin
(5) The Social Innovation of Bitcoin

We are also looking for people to help us with media training. I'd like to have a local bitcoin expert in every community to evangelize whenever possible. And of course, donations are always welcome:

189tfJJhCJFtkr4MZJgcB3yuGTfUh7cvUL

Let's get this done.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin Catalog

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

The Bitcoin Catalog ---> Get Started!

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2013, 03:59:21 AM

Thanks for this update. Don't hesitate to ask us if you need any help. We also think this is very much needed to help the bitcoin economy to grow.

Antony

The Bitcoin Catalog: Second edition coming out in November! Click here for a  FREE pdf catalog!
Follow us on twitter! @BTCcatalog
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2013, 04:27:27 AM

Thanks Antony, and I think the work you are doing at the Catalog is incredibly important to the community as well. We just hit 1,000 subscribers. By the end of May, we'll have a lot of new content especially on services merchants in this community can use to help their businesses and also on other p2p cryptocurrencies like litecoin and ripple. My goal is 10 thousand subscribers and I'm not going to stop until we get them before Summer is over. 

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
CryptoJunky

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 03:30:27 PM

Looks like you're well on your way to 10,000 subscribers. Let me know if I can help!

charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 03:53:10 PM

Goal is 100k by the end of the year and then more courses on Udacity, Coursera and Edx. 1 million by the end of 2014.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: