Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:11:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox account in the USA has been seized by the DHS?  (Read 25843 times)
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 07:45:52 PM

Well, Gox does have a federal lawsuit pending against it where the damages are listed in the tens of millions. Not surprising they get their account seized. The fact that the department of homeland security is involved is probably due to the fact that it's international money transfers, which falls somewhat under their supposed jurisdiction.

more or less retired.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MickeyT2008

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

This account was recently hacked

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 07:51:44 PM

MtGox is outside the jurisdiction of the US government, they can't seize their accounts or anything of theirs at all.  Maybe the email is badly worded

Or maybe the OP has intentionally altered the email to make it appear worse than it actually is.  While the others who have quoted their emails have done so accurately.

The probably cannot seize MtGox' bank accounts, but they certainly can seize their Dwolla account, since Dwolla is American.
Fortunately I'm not in the US but I hope you manage to get your money sorted out guys.  I doubt that our UK government will be far behind yours if they get away with this.

This account has recently been hacked and taken over, I haven't posted anything for about two years.  Whoever has been using it and pretending to be me is a scammer.
twobits

Activity: 574

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 07:57:11 PM

Wonder if they are starting to pull a wikileaks, poker type of financial starvation.

Also, am I the only one who everytime I hear Dept of HLS, I wonder how I got into the script of a bad sci-fi movie?

█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████████████  █████                        ████
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████   
█████                █████      ███████    ██
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
Platform for Professional Asset Management
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████   
█████                █████      ███████    ██
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4186
Merit: 4404

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:00:09 PM

best advise, if you have dollar in mtgox don't cash it out.. instead buy coin and transfer the coin to a different exchange.

many of us done this and never returned to mtgox as soon as the coinlab announcement came out ages back. you had plenty of warning.

i still can't believe people think with a milti million dollar lawsuit pending that business would continue to run as usual.

seriously. make this a life lesson, if you see a notification of a lawsuit get your coin out and move out. your coin and dollar are not protected so don't have the naive belief that because a login page still exists you are safe to continue unaffected.

they have enough hints over the last few days.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:00:53 PM

So far we have two users with a handful of posts to their name posting the e-mail version with account seizure mentioned, and others posting different e-mails. I'm not convinced yet. Also, it's dwolla, not mt gox's bank accounts.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
uhoh

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Circle gets the Square

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:03:11 PM

best advise, if you have dollar in mtgox don't cash it out.. instead to buy coin and transfer the coin to a different exchange.

many of us done this and never returned to mtgox as soon as the coinlab announcement came out ages back. you had plenty of warning.

i still can't believe people think with a milti million dollar lawsuit pending that business would continue to run as usual.

seriously. make this a life lesson, if you see a notification of a lawsuit get your coin out and move out. your coin and dollar are not protected so don't have the naive belief that because a login page still exists you are safe to continue unaffected.

This

Not quite sure why the price is falling, surely you'd expect a rise if there is a mass exodus of BTC from Gox?
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4186
Merit: 4404

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:03:59 PM
Last edit: May 14, 2013, 08:30:16 PM by franky1

best advise, if you have dollar in mtgox don't cash it out.. instead to buy coin and transfer the coin to a different exchange.

This

Not quite sure why the price is falling, surely you'd expect a rise if there is a mass exodus of BTC from Gox?

because the lemmings and sheep think its business as usual.. even now.

the other reason is instead of having a order on the list for lets say $100-$110 creating a buy wall, they are cancelling the orders (making a weak/no buy wall) and eating from the top of the sell wall..(guys trying to exit)

but there are still lemming and sheep trying to sell at top dollar. (keeping a sell wall in place) in the hope to buy coin in cheaper to make the price drop very easily due to lack of orders and trying to then buy coin at profit.

the flips side is the fight against the lemmings trying to continue trading... the people just trying to get coin to run.. either way the price can sky rocket or plunge. and then the other sheep on btc-e and other exchanges that follow gox as their Master which will also affect the pricing on the other exchanges..

long story short, the next 24 hours of trading will be wild!!!!

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
uhoh

Activity: 742

Circle gets the Square

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:05:19 PM
Last edit: May 14, 2013, 08:15:44 PM by uhoh

No offense to any of the posters so far, but can anyone with rep confirm the wording of the email received?
Aseras

Activity: 658

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:06:47 PM

no point selling now if you can't cash out....
btbrae

Activity: 680

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:06:58 PM

The price will go down because people are either panicking and withdrawing via wire, or sitting on the fence expecting a big move. A few people will buy & move their coins out quickly.
wsoei

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:07:16 PM

People are posting bout the same thing on reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1ebzru/dwolla_no_longer_allowed_to_do_business_with_mtgox/
Moxiebot

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:07:28 PM

So far we have two users with a handful of posts to their name posting the e-mail version with account seizure mentioned, and others posting different e-mails. I'm not convinced yet. Also, it's dwolla, not mt gox's bank accounts.

I depends on what user was trying to doing.. I have gotten one of those emails too.. it's not Dwolla, it's certainly Mt. Gox. that got seized. My email was in responds to trying to get cash into Mt. Gox., thru Dwolla:

As of 12:13 PM on 5/14/2013:

Due to recent court orders by the Department of Homeland Security and U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland seizing the account of Mutum Sigillum LLC (“Mt. Gox”), Dwolla will be unable to complete your recent bank transfer to Mutum Sigillum LLC and any future transactions.

Instead, this transaction will be routed to your Dwolla account on its scheduled arrival date and time. These funds will then be accessible to you.

Dwolla is not party to this matter nor does it have any information or further insight into the situation. We strongly encourages those with questions to contact Mutum Sigillum LLC

We will continue to assist our users to the fullest extent that the law and company resources will allow.

Note: Dwolla requires a court order before honoring requests such as seizing funds or revoking access to an account.

On behalf of Dwolla, we apologize for this inconvenience.
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:12:20 PM

I guess this is the fallout from the Coinlab lawsuit?
What does Department of Homeland Security has in common with the Coinlab lawsuit?
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:14:27 PM

No offence to any of the posters so far, but can anyone with rep confirm the wording of the email received?

i've had a long time Dwolla acct and i've not received any email...
k3t3r

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:15:23 PM

do you not have data protection or information governance laws in the US? are organisations in the US allowed to breach data protection laws by broadcasting account holders business to other users in such a manner as these emails.
relm9

Activity: 840

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:17:40 PM

I haven't received this email, and Dwolla withdrawl/despoit options are still available for me on Gox?
stochastic

Activity: 532

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:19:11 PM

No offence to any of the posters so far, but can anyone with rep confirm the wording of the email received?

i've had a long time Dwolla acct and i've not received any email...

Looks like they only send to people that have recently done a withdrawal/deposit or are currently trying to do a withdrawal/deposit.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:19:30 PM

And that is why we need bitcoin, so random agencies can't wreak havoc in such way

bit777

Activity: 420

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:20:13 PM

That is quite bad to hear. Mt.Gox have a US account through which they work with Dwolla. Apparently, that won't be an option anymore.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:23:14 PM

FYI:

You can use https://bitpay.com to cash out coins and have the USD sent you your bank account the next day for 0.99%.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: