Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:12:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to use Copay for cold storage ?  (Read 664 times)
zonka (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 12:26:21 AM
Last edit: July 30, 2017, 06:02:56 PM by zonka

I am a newbie.
As I am trying to figure out the best wallet to use, Copay seems pretty attractive.
I am not sure though:  Can it support cold storage?

I presume "supporting cold storage" means, among other things:

- Sign a transaction on an off-line computer, transfer signature information with USB stick, and broadcast the transaction from an on-line machine.
- Being able to transact with keys important from a paper wallet.
- Create a 'watch wallet' to follow what is happening at the public address of a paper wallet.

Can Copay do the above, and/or support cold storage in other ways ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Skarner21

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

Massive price drop coming...

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2017, 11:40:47 PM

I heard that copay is one of the good wallet and use for business  and i think connected to bitpay..
If you can save your own private keys that you can import anytime to other wallet is ok i think you are in safe wallet..
But i recommend to use mycelium wallet because  tested it much easier to use and save bitcoin and you can take note the private keys or scan your private keys. .

Make crypto as your bank.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2017, 11:59:32 PM

I am a newbie.
As I am trying to figure out the best wallet to use, Copay seems pretty attractive.
I am not sure though:  Can it support cold storage?

I presume "supporting cold storage" means, among other things:

- Sign a transaction on an off-line computer, transfer signature information with USB stick, and broadcast the transaction from an on-line machine.
- Being able to transact with keys important from a paper wallet.
- Create a 'watch wallet' to follow what is happening at the public address of a paper wallet.

Can Copay do the above, and/or support cold storage in other ways ?

You can't do cold storage with Copay that way. What you are describing is how Electrum supports cold storage using two computers, one always kept offline. Both Copay and Electrum also work with hardware wallets. But when Trezor and Ledger Nano S came along they pretty much replaced using two computers for secure bitcoin storage and transactions. Costs less for a hardware wallet than dedicating a second computer; there are some fans of Armory who still use two computers for cold storage though. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: