Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:06:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Safe Wallet  (Read 550 times)
Factum_Est (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:15:38 PM

I am looking into storing a wallet to hold the main amount of my savings that is safer than your conventional wallet set up. I am currently looking into running a VM of http://qubes-os.org/trac on my regular Linux machine. QubeOS is the real deal. It looks pretty secure itself. Obviously nothing is 100% but as long as it is difficult, I can be relatively sure that its not worth the time for 99.9% of all hackers. Any thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:34:37 PM

- snip -
a wallet to hold the main amount of my savings that is safer than your conventional wallet set up.
- snip -

I'd just create a paper wallet.  Can't remember the last time I heard about someone hacking a piece of paper over the internet.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:35:27 PM

- snip -
a wallet to hold the main amount of my savings that is safer than your conventional wallet set up.
- snip -

I'd just create a paper wallet.  Can't remember the last time I heard about someone hacking a piece of paper over the internet.

Listen to this, it's the most secure method in my opinion.
timmybray

Activity: 33

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 05:31:05 PM

paper is always the bst
Factum_Est (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 02:33:31 PM

Yeah I am think about paper wallets but I am looking more for something that is more useable. In the sense I can sign transactions. Has anyone shipped hardware wallets yet?
Ransor

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 02:56:51 PM

In my experience paper wallets are really easy to access, just swipe them into a service like blockchain.info when you are ready to use them.
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:18:39 PM

I'm a bit lost. If you use paper wallets how do you get your payments updated for your records?

And if you use the paper wallet, do you just create a new one after you make your transfer (and get the new address for your remaining coins)?

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:22:44 PM

I'm a bit lost. If you use paper wallets how do you get your payments updated for your records?

I'm not sure that I understand what you are trying to ask here.

And if you use the paper wallet, do you just create a new one after you make your transfer (and get the new address for your remaining coins)?

That is the recommended method.  If you know what you are doing and you are careful about it, it is possible to just send the remaining balance back to the same paper wallet that you just spent them from, but it is generally safer to create a new paper wallet and send the remaining balance to the new paper wallet address.

Typically paper wallets are used for long term storage of large amounts of bitcoin that you won't be needing regular access to, so this shouldn't be a daily problem.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:27:53 PM

That is the recommended method.  If you know what you are doing and you are careful about it, it is possible to just send the remaining balance back to the same paper wallet that you just spent them from, but it is generally safer to create a new paper wallet and send the remaining balance to the new paper wallet address.

Typically paper wallets are used for long term storage of large amounts of bitcoin that you won't be needing regular access to, so this shouldn't be a daily problem.

Thanks for the reply. And what I was asking at the top is... when I run my client I can see what my balance is. The paper wallet wouldn't have the same benefit. But thinking about it more, you could just put the address into an explorer and see what its current balance is, right?

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:47:26 PM

Thanks for the reply. And what I was asking at the top is... when I run my client I can see what my balance is. The paper wallet wouldn't have the same benefit. But thinking about it more, you could just put the address into an explorer and see what its current balance is, right?

You could write the balance on the paper, and update it anytime you send bitcoins to it.  If you are using Armory or https://blockchain.info/wallet then you can add the paper wallet address to the wallet as a "watching only" address.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:50:33 PM

You could write the balance on the paper, and update it anytime you send bitcoins to it.  If you are using Armory or https://blockchain.info/wallet then you can add the paper wallet address to the wallet as a "watching only" address.

Ohh, that is awesome. Didn't realize there were "watch only" ones. I like that.

Thanks again for the help understanding. Still a newbie, :p

dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:53:15 PM

Paper wallet or brain wallet (or paper wallet brain wallet hybrid using the private key from the paper wallet + password in brain wallet as 2 factor) and using blockchain wallet as watch only.
You can make offline transactions from blockchain wallet.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:53:58 PM

Ohh, that is awesome. Didn't realize there were "watch only" ones. I like that.

Thanks again for the help understanding. Still a newbie, :p

That is a feature that some wallets provide.  The reference client Bitcoin-Qt does not provide this functionality.
JEEPNEY

Activity: 8

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 04:48:27 PM

Love the paper wallet & watch-only combo. Definitely upgrading to that. Thanks for the tips, all!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: