Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:20:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VERIFICATION PROCESS FOR BITCOIN ATMS, WTF?  (Read 226 times)
Eggsandbaconforbrekkie (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 03:18:48 AM

I was pondering using a bitcoin atm to get some coins, but every atm near me has some kind of identity verification process.   At the very least, you have to enter your phone number, get texted a code, then enter the code… then you can use the atm to buy bitcoins with cash (online sms burner numbers don’t work).
The ATM (and it’s owner) now has your phone number along with the other transaction details.
Assuming the btc you just got is now associated with your phn num, my question is, how can that association be found out?  Is it stored in the blockchain? Is it somehow public?  Or is it in the atm’s private company records?  Will your phn number still be tied to those bitcoins after they leave your possession?  okokokok… i guess what im asking is this:   If you get the coins with SMS verification, do you still have to tumble them to be anonymous?
Thanks for making this website.  I’m reading and learning as much as I can,  but some stuff I just don’t understand
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
chnchapters

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 03:45:51 AM

My buddy is working for a BTC ATM company right now. He is working on building the machines. I have only used one once or twice, when they were newer and more in the prototype stage (years ago). I will ask him about this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: