Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:41:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Abe software for Bitcoin?  (Read 1256 times)
tyz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1530

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 09:12:20 PM
Last edit: December 20, 2015, 09:44:58 PM by tyz

I stumbled over the Abe software and was wondering what the software is exactly doing.

Is my assumption right, that the software is transforming the downloaded blockchain of the official Bitcoin client into a relational database in order to access the blockchain data more easily?

Wiki source: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Abe
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 07:55:19 AM

I think, this software is just like Blockchain.info and Blocktrail.

edit: wait, it says that the inspiration is from Bitcoin Block Explorer. Is this a different thing?

faucet used to be profitable
YarkoL
Legendary

Activity: 996
Merit: 1012

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 12:21:41 PM

Is my assumption right, that the software is transforming the downloaded blockchain of the official Bitcoin client into a relational database in order to access the blockchain data more easily?

Yes.

Quote from: github.com/bitcoin-abe/bitcoin-abe
This software reads the Bitcoin block file, transforms and loads the data into a database, and presents a web interface similar to Bitcoin Block Explorer, http://blockexplorer.com/.

“God does not play dice"
hayek

Activity: 370
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 12:32:50 PM

Try this:

https://github.com/tenthirtyone/blocktools
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4919

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2015, 12:34:51 PM

If you want to try out abe, be carefull...

The software is real easy to install, but for me, it took several weeks to parse the whole blockchain.
So, the setup (OS, bitcoin daemon, downloading the blockchain, installing abe, loading the blockchain into abe) took almost a month...

The second time, i did find a database dump from 2014-2015 (don't remember). This shortened the loading time by a couple of days.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
tyz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1530

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 09:44:21 PM

Several weeks to parse the entire blockchain? Really  Shocked
Just wanted to start using Abe to transform the blockchain but your statement stopped me :/

The software is real easy to install, but for me, it took several weeks to parse the whole blockchain.
So, the setup (OS, bitcoin daemon, downloading the blockchain, installing abe, loading the blockchain into abe) took almost a month...

The second time, i did find a database dump from 2014-2015 (don't remember). This shortened the loading time by a couple of days.
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 06:57:53 PM

Several weeks to parse the entire blockchain? Really  Shocked
Just wanted to start using Abe to transform the blockchain but your statement stopped me :/

Right, but your mileage will obviously vary.  How long it takes will depend on your hardware, your connection speeds, etc.  And there's the tip about starting with a db dump...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: