Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:34:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Department of Homeland Security  (Read 7021 times)
Chaoskampf (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

order in numbers

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:29:27 AM

While the recent action by the DHS concerning Dwolla's Mt. Gox transactions will not be a serious blow to Bitcoin, a precedent is being carried forth which could lead to much more extreme measures. The fact that the DHS is concerned about Bitcoin should suggest how powerful our beloved crypto-currency is, and how real a threat it must pose to the ruling class.
      This is not a time for merely accepting government action as it is handed out. We can not let these shameless impingements on our basic rights be applied without resistance. Why do they expect us to sit behind our computer screens and merely act in reactionary clicks and types as our freedoms are legislated away from us? Because that's been the precedent that we have set.
      What are we going to do if and when it comes down to an internationally orchestrated assault on Bitcoin? What options do the people have against the power elite? I'm curious to hear what the community thinks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
data_teks

Activity: 267
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:32:02 AM

All I would say is if you have any bitcoins or cash at MtGox; get it out now!  You can't fight the US gov, you just have to stay out of their way.
zoinky

Activity: 811
Merit: 1000

Web Developer

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:33:43 AM

All I would say is if you have any bitcoins or cash at MtGox; get it out now!  You can't fight the US gov, you just have to stay out of their way.

Roll Eyes
Chaoskampf (OP)

order in numbers

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:38:59 AM

You can't fight the US gov, you just have to stay out of their way.

Not all fighting is obligated to be with a fist or a gun

pa

Activity: 527
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:40:08 AM

What are we going to do if and when it comes down to an internationally orchestrated assault on Bitcoin? What options do the people have against the power elite? I'm curious to hear what the community thinks.

We should designate a weekly open-air meeting for bitcoin trading in every city and town:

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/05/06/a-push-for-a-bitcoin-buttonwood/
rupertbg

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:43:11 AM

never used gox anyway - btce.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:44:03 AM

Seriously! A little country the size of New Mexico kicked the shit out of the USA for decades making USA troops withdraw in shame because a small group of highly motivated radicals back home like the people on this forum refused to bend over and take it up the ass.

I'm talking about Vietnam for those that can't figure it out.

Chaoskampf (OP)

order in numbers

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:45:25 AM

We should designate a weekly open-air meeting for bitcoin trading in every city and town:

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/05/06/a-push-for-a-bitcoin-buttonwood/

This is so great! I'm already on it. About to start emailing/messaging people to organize one near my hometown.
Chaoskampf (OP)

order in numbers

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:47:37 AM

It is strong like russian Ox! But in all seriousness, it's so much better than any other exchange. I don't know how, but it's basically impervious to DDoS

BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:56:08 AM

It is strong like russian Ox! But in all seriousness, it's so much better than any other exchange. I don't know how, but it's basically impervious to DDoS

Mmmph.  Cheesy

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
data_teks

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:04:37 AM

Roll Eyes

I know, I know, ..I was thinking same thing after I posted it....

But in all seriousness, I think there's more to come. Dwolla is a legit US based company, so it's easy for the US gov to force their hand. I've never heard of the DOJ of just freezing 1 account. If they are serious, which I think they are, we will hear of more MtGox's accounts being frozen or websites saying they can't send payments to MtGox over the next week.
Chaoskampf (OP)

order in numbers

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:07:44 AM

What would it take for them to go after BitInstant? (based out of New York City and UK)

Probably not very much....
data_teks

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:28:19 AM

What would it take for them to go after BitInstant? (based out of New York City and UK)

Probably not very much....

Well from my understanding how their site works, I don't think MtGox has an account with funds at BitInstant. Dwolla was a quick target because it's kind of a honey pot.  It's always about the money (I wouldn't be surprised if MtGox's US bank account that someone mentioned here wasn't already frozen (from sending funds outs) and we just haven't heard from MtGox about it.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:54:29 AM

for every action there is a reaction.

i wonder what role the Chinese will play in this.  there have been hints that they might actually support the Bitcoin concept.  is DHS sending a message?

if so, i'm sure a response will be forthcoming in some form or manner.
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:58:08 AM

i wonder what role the Chinese will play in this.  there have been hints that they might actually support the Bitcoin concept.  is DHS sending a message?

Yes.  I'm toying with that conclusion as well.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:58:39 AM

The Cold Bitcoin War. More hashrate!
Chaoskampf (OP)

order in numbers

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:10:48 AM

Couldn't the US government hypothetically run existing supercomputers to mine all the remaining Bitcoins and just destroy it that way? For the amount of money it takes to file all the legal paperwork and run the DHS for a week, they could contract an ASIC to be built which could mine the remaining Bitcoins in a very short period of time. Or am I wrong about this?

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:13:07 AM

Couldn't the US government hypothetically run existing supercomputers to mine all the remaining Bitcoins and just destroy it that way? For the amount of money it takes to file all the legal paperwork and run the DHS for a week, they could contract an ASIC to be built which could mine the remaining Bitcoins in a very short period of time. Or am I wrong about this?

yep, you're wrong:

http://qz.com/84056/the-bitcoin-network-is-now-more-powerful-than-the-top-500-supercomputers-combined/
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:13:50 AM

Couldn't the US government hypothetically run existing supercomputers to mine all the remaining Bitcoins and just destroy it that way?
No. All the non-Bitcoin supercomputers in the world combined are not powerful enough to do this, even if mining worked the way you think it does (it doesn't).
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:17:31 AM

yep, you're wrong:

http://qz.com/84056/the-bitcoin-network-is-now-more-powerful-than-the-top-500-supercomputers-combined/

Obviously one or two people out there think Bitcoin is a good idea.  Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: