Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 04:55:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Underclocking Memory Help  (Read 721 times)
Eaks77 (OP)

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 10:00:17 AM

Hey Everyone,

Im hoping i'll find some help here.....

I'm looking for some help to reduce GPU Temps... Primarily through the reduction in Memory Clock Speed. I have read several threads and done everything they say, but i'm running into some problems. Mostly the blue screen of death.

Rig #1
2 x Radeon 5770, crossfired (runs at good temp, mid 60's)
1 x Radeon 5970
Wndows 7
MSI Afterburner 3.0.0 Beta 9
Catalyst Control Centre/drivers 11.12
**I did at one point have AMD GPU Clock Controller installed, but it couldn't recognize any hardware**

I decided to open up the 6990 to clean it up and add some Arctic Silver 5 for better heat dissapation due to other cards getting great results. Well... I think it was one of those things, if it aint broken, don't fix it! Before, @880MHZ and Memory @ 625Mhz, both processors would be hovering around the 80^c. Still fairly hot, and this is with other fans circulating air. Now i've had to underclock @ 750MHZ and 625MHZ memory, it's still hovering around 80^C. I've tried this Arctic Silver 5 on other GPU's with great results, so not sure what happened here. Anyways, it could have been the Thermal Pads for the Memory, which I may replace later on. But they looked good and intact. Anyways, before I do anything drastic again, like by a Arctic 6990 Cooler or clean out the 6990 again... i thoguht i'd try underclocking my memory to 300Mhz.

I've tried the two main things i've read in forums:
- edit the CFG file
- Bring memory down to lowest, closing Afterburner, then opening to reduce more...

Neither worked! 

I was hoping that altering the CFG would have worked, but I kept getting the blue screen of death after about a minute of Windows starting. Or after immediately opening Afterburner. Also, I altered all CFG files while under safemode. I cant edit CFG while in non-safemode.

Can anyone help? It seems every CFG file i see edited to work is different from the next. Do I have the right drivers... etc... etc...

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: