Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:55:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I restore my Bitcoin core wallet?  (Read 1905 times)
Bkim001 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 12:16:39 AM

Hi, Guys.

I intend to back up my current bitcoin core wallet (a wallet downloaded at bitcoin.org) in a way of backing up files by plugging in USB drive, then restore the Bitcoins stored in the back up USB drive I saved Bitcoins.
Currently, I am using a notebook with MS windows 10 home edition.

How can I restore the coins at a newly installed Bitcoin core wallet by using thumb drive in case the current wallet files are currupt?

There seem to be a way I can copy the back up file stored in USB Drive and paste it at somewhere in MS windows registries, but I can't find how to make it.
It would be great if you could advise me on this.

Thanks a lot.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
induktor

Activity: 710
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 12:30:27 AM

Hi

I assume you are using bitcoin CORE with the default folder in appdata.

so the location of the entire data folder (including the complete blockchain, and wallet.dat (where your private keys are) is in:

%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin

copy and paste all that in a folder inside the USB drive.

specially care with wallet.dat, save it into TWO different drives, not one!, never do CUT and paste, do always copy and paste, and don't drag n drop either it's dangerous specially with touchpads hehe, if you don't have two usb hard drives for the entire blockchain, do a full backup in your USB drive, and then save in a flash drive only the wallet.dat.

it is one thing to have to download the entire blockchain because your USB hard drive died, and another is loosing all your bitcoins so, wallet.dat , TWO copies (remember, copies means that the file is in your computer AND on the devices) the more the better.

-----------------------

RESTORE: (my way, maybe there are other options, this is how i did it, multiple times! when defender screwed my blockchain data folder)

install bitcoin core (ideally the same version!, but it could be older, it works)

RUN IT
once it says sincronizing, close it.
(this is so the wallet will create the data folders)

now go to:
%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin

and delete everything inside, and replace it with your copy from your USB drive backup.

pay attention at what you are doing, don't delete the usb drive!, i did it once, thank god i had another copy of the wallet.

hope it helps
Smiley
indkt.

BTC addr: 1vTGnFgaM2WJjswwmbj6N2AQBWcHfimSc
Nooby-miner

Activity: 62
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 05:12:54 PM

old wallet few years old, had to do clean install of bitcoin core and made few copies of old wallet files across 3 computer for safety.
so the old wallet.dat file should by restored to bitcoin core//app data folder prior to sync of wallet? or can the old wallet.dat file be imported later after sync of the wallet?
are there any other files that need to be replaced?
zend7

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

Hackers please hack me .... if you can :)

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 07:41:40 PM

old wallet few years old, had to do clean install of bitcoin core and made few copies of old wallet files across 3 computer for safety.
so the old wallet.dat file should by restored to bitcoin core//app data folder prior to sync of wallet? or can the old wallet.dat file be imported later after sync of the wallet?
are there any other files that need to be replaced?

Unless your wallet.dat is of a very old version of Bitcoin Core (should work too) the only thing you need to do is to copy paste the directory with all the bitcoin data in it. In newest version it is simple "Bitcoin" and it is where the guy in the post above described you in the appdata\Roaming\Bitcoin. Simply copy the wallet.dat in this directory, run Bitcoin core and it should work.

If not try to start Bitcoin Core with -salvagewallet option.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: