Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:38:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone here consider themselves a master at overclocking?  (Read 373 times)
50ShadesOfDamon (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 02:48:11 PM

I need some help w a couple of rigs.. =)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 03:13:46 PM

I'm not a master at overclocking and I only ever mined with Nvidia hardware but here's what I know:

Every card have different limits so you either use different speeds for each cards or use the lowest OC in a rig for all the cards.

And then different algos have different levels of overclockability - as it were - as they use cards differently. For example, you could get +300 Mhz core on some algos with no problem which would instantly crash on others. So if you mine different algos you also have to use the lowest OC.

And some algos prefer core clock, some prefer memory clock OC. And since the cards are handling power pretty intelligently, for some algos it's beneficial if you downclock the memory so the card can allocate more power to core therefore boost higher. Rarely it's the opposite.

Also wirth noting that memory modules can get really hot (95+°C)  on some cards mining memory heavy algos such as Eth (source). Which you can't see with software as there are no temp sensors there usually. But with the right hardware you can see for yourself.

And while we're at temps the voltage regulation modules also can get super hot if cards are overvolted. And some models have very poor VRM cooling.

Also, an overclock might look stable, in reality it might not be and it will take a couple of hours or even days for the card to crash.

Efficiency is more important these days so reducing power limit and just letting the card boost as high as it does with a mild OC is the safest bet and figuring out the maximum before crashing levels of OC just doesn't worth the effort - especially for multiple rigs.

My recommendation is to just set a mild OC across rigs and if cards crash in a day or two decrease the OC (and if it always happen to the same cards, note them and downclock only those) and if not, then you can increase the OC.

Not your keys, not your coins!
50ShadesOfDamon (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 03:17:28 PM

Hey there. Thanks for the detailed response. Smiley I have tried using different bios's etc.. I am at my wits end with it! I am trying to locate someone that is very knowledgeable with it that I could pay a little bit to get my cards running at their optimum! I am ready to throw these things off the roof! lol..

Ive tried just about everything but the right thing apparently!
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 03:22:05 PM

I'm guessing you're using AMD hardware (there are no BIOS mods for modern nvidia afaik) in which case you should probably forget most of what I said and wait for an AMD miner's response.  Cheesy

Not your keys, not your coins!
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2017, 03:29:27 PM

Every card have different limits so you either use different speeds for each cards or use the lowest OC in a rig for all the cards.

And then different algos have different levels of overclockability - as it were - as they use cards differently. For example, you could get +300 Mhz core on some algos with no problem which would instantly crash on others. So if you mine different algos you also have to use the lowest OC.

And some algos prefer core clock, some prefer memory clock OC. And since the cards are handling power pretty intelligently, for some algos it's beneficial if you downclock the memory so the card can allocate more power to core therefore boost higher. Rarely it's the opposite.

Also, an overclock might look stable, in reality it might not be and it will take a couple of hours or even days for the card to crash.

Im using only amd cards for mining , but the above statement its absolutely true for AMD cards also Smiley

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
Ultrasound

Activity: 58

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 03:39:28 PM

I need some help w a couple of rigs.. =)

I used to be a master of overclocking. But I found it is not very profitable to overclock. So I underclock. It is more difficult.
50ShadesOfDamon (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 03:56:34 PM

Under/over.. either way I can get more hashing power with less power at the wall.. lol

Again if anyone can help and wants to make a few dollars - hit me up. I know some guys don't want to get paid as they want to pay it forward, but ill still throw you a few bucks. Smiley

Thanks again everyone for the responses.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: