Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 07:49:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: wtf is this...  (Read 1267 times)
nkmt

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 10:07:20 PM

OMG, Bitcoin is unsafe! I'm going to convert all my BTC to BCH!

/s

help fight GFW: 1nkmtbqNDP53phPDSEvmEaTSv7cA2ZS9Z
drachman

Activity: 756
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 11:57:06 PM

messing around with the website I typed random characters in the number of the page and actually found an address that had 0.04 Btc, it said 0.04 total received final balance 0... is this rare??? I didn't record the address though I just kept looking.

each day i see i don't really understand the Bitcoin protocol, i need to learn what cryptography is and how really bitcoin works.
Well, at least something good will come from this experience, probably the first thing you should do is to read the bitcoin white paper, in fact I think that should be mandatory.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 12:09:31 AM

why is this public... I didn't know everyone had access to everyone's private keys...

http://directory.io
Look at the amount of pages. Look at the private keys and how the vary very little in between each other, with only the last few characters changing. Now think about whatever your private key is, and how hard it would be to find your key specifically on a website that doesn't even let you search for the private keys and would force you to scroll through every page. The chances of you ever having your private key stolen are next to nothing (and they even explain that math makes it nearly impossible), and this is no different than doing a guess-and-check for private keys. Someone could try to do the same thing by themselves, it would never, or it at least is highly unlikely, to yield results.
lottery248
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1005

beware of your keys.

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 12:36:00 AM

i don't sure its reason of existence, though faq has more valid reason i think. IMO that directory is a way to view all the possible combinations of prototype bitcoin address.

out of ability to use the signature, i want a new ban strike policy that will fade the strike after 90~120 days of the ban and not to be traced back, like google | email me for anything urgent, message will possibly not be instantly responded
i am not really active for some reason
xJuturna

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 12:54:42 AM

Don't worry OP this site has been around for a while. It's more or less a gag as the chances of matching up someone's keys are ridiculous. You'd have a better chance of jumping out of an airplane and getting attacked by a shark inside of a rain cloud whilst getting struck by lightning...
HashFace

Activity: 406
Merit: 114

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 03:21:00 AM

Don't worry OP this site has been around for a while. It's more or less a gag as the chances of matching up someone's keys are ridiculous. You'd have a better chance of jumping out of an airplane and getting attacked by a shark inside of a rain cloud whilst getting struck by lightning...

See ... that's what I thought, in order to steel from a wallet you'd need both the private and the matching public key ... I mean, the chances alone of guessing a private key are slim, but the chances of also guessing the matching public key is about as close to Zero as you can get.  

But that website's FAQs seems to be saying that if you know the private key, the public address can be generated from the private key.  Is that BS?

A private key with the value   0 would generate the address: 16QaFeudRUt8NYy2yzjm3BMvG4xBbAsBFM
   A private key with the value   1 would generate the address: 1EHNa6Q4Jz2uvNExL497mE43ikXhwF6kZm
   A private key with the value   2 would generate the address: 1LagHJk2FyCV2VzrNHVqg3gYG4TSYwDV4m
   A private key with the value 127 would generate the address: 1FB8cZijTpRQp3HX8AEkNuQJBqApqfTcX7

I'm not doubting that bitcoin is safe... it is self-evident that it is safe ... I'm just trying to get a better understand of how it works.  
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3276

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 08:10:29 AM

See ... that's what I thought, in order to steel from a wallet you'd need both the private and the matching public key ... I mean, the chances alone of guessing a private key are slim, but the chances of also guessing the matching public key is about as close to Zero as you can get.  

But that website's FAQs seems to be saying that if you know the private key, the public address can be generated from the private key.  Is that BS?

A bitcoin address (frequently and mistakenly referred to as a "public key") is derived from a private key. Actually, it works like this: The bitcoin address is derived from the public key, which is derived from the private key.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Sami bedoui alonso

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 03:09:34 PM

why is this public... I didn't know everyone had access to everyone's private keys...
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: