Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:57:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Low Hash- Gigabyte HD 7970(R797OC-3GD) BIOS Flash Help  (Read 11935 times)
emunebtk (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 09:10:02 PM

Out of curiosity what is everyone's default GPUengine/Memclock for their 7970 especially those running with a 1000+/1500 speeds?

The BIOS i flashed to has a 1000/1375 so I am now curious If I should of flashed to the BIOS with a 1100/1500 as anything past a 940 engine seems to crash with a black screen. Currently though I am running stable at 640 kh/s with 82/83 temp using 910/1000 and tc8192 which seems to be the best I can currently achieve. Going for that 700plus goal!

With the F62 bios already on my cards, my GPU/Memclocks are 1100/1500 and that's what I mine with. Any more or less on either GPU or Memclock and my hashrate drops significantly, like ~100kh/s drop! Currently they're both hovering a little over 770kh/s and temps are 70C/62C respectively as I type this. Rock solid for days now no issues with screen freeze or anything. Open rig was the key for me to keep the temps down.. well that and risers to get more air flowing around them both. Very pleased with the outcome considering the top card (when they were in a pc case on it's side and case open) was hitting above 100C easily while the bottom card was climbing slowly above 90C. These temps were unacceptable and I did not mine untill I had them in their current setup. Even when they hit 80C on a hot day (it's rather chilly outside atm so room is a few deg above that) I still cringe and worry about them while I'm at work. But I remote monitor their progress and so far so good... fingers crossed Wink

Thanks Joori! Right now I am running at a 700 stable but with a 83-85 temp on 925/1275 speeds with TC 8192. For somereason anything above a 1000 on the engine speeds seems to cause a black screen crash so working on that problem but at least right now I am stable at 700k. Truly wont be happy until that 730k is stable though..lol. Right now it runs for about 5 mins on a 1100/1500 speeds of TC 8192 getting 750kplus but then crashes for some reason reaching a temp of 85/86 still in comp case with side panel off. Next step will be to get some risers and pull them out of the case. Would love to see a pic of your unit if you ever get a moment. Seems to be though right now any GPU engine speed below 1000 seems to be my best friend without crashing.

Anyone have any other Cgminer configs working with a GPUengine of 1000 or less and getting 700plus khs? Btw is 85 too high of a temp to run on?  thanks guys!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zappa

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 09:20:25 PM

im getting 700khash on my gigabyte 7950 (50 yes) on clocks of 1100/1250, you should try that Smiley

edit: f43 bios
DonDe

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 09:21:06 PM

Well with F62 if you set the engine at 1000 and memory at 1475, the voltage will drop to 1.2V - so will run significantly cooler and then the khs should be 700ish.
emunebtk (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 09:41:23 PM

Well with F62 if you set the engine at 1000 and memory at 1475, the voltage will drop to 1.2V - so will run significantly cooler and then the khs should be 700ish.

looks like i am running on a voltage locked card which has made things a bit tricky. Does anyone have success of flashing a Saphire BIOS onto a Gigabyte r797OC-3gd? Actually flashed it to the r9770TC-3gd the other night for that 1100/1500 default clock. Although everytime I go above a 1020/1040 gpu engine I go into a black screen crash so maybe I should flash back to the original 1000/1375 stock and go from there. At the moment I can run steady on a 925/1275 with TC8192 at 700 kh/s at 83 temp but would love to push it to 730-750 if possible Smiley Or does anyone have any lower speed ratios that work for a 7970 preferable with a 8-900 GPU engine? you guys are awesome! thank you

Joori

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

Just an average guy with an average job!

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 12:36:11 AM

Quoting my previous post lol... Check out the first image. You really need to get them out of the case and into the open air. Particularly if the room they are in is not temperature controlled, i.e aircon and ambient temp in room is a little on the warm side... Just get yourself an el-cheapo shelf (mine in the image cost me 15 bux! from a bunnings/home depo type hardware store), some x1 or x16 risers and suspend those puppies above the board. The fan you see in the image is from a decommissioned Xigmatex CPU cooler. It feels like my 50w floor fan/box fan it pumps that much air but not nearly drawing as much power. I used to use the floor fan/box fan to cool these babies down when they were in my case, which was a Sharkoon T9 Value case on it's side with the side off and temps were what you're reporting atm (80ish-90C). The rack they're sitting on is just from an old fridge we have in the garage that does not work anymore, so I salvaged one of the racks from it and use that along with a couple of pieces of dowel to rest them on.

I tried to avoid all this shit to keep temps down but I had to bite the bullet and get enough air flow through them, especially since I wanted a constant 750+kh/s without the risk of cooking the cards. It paid off in the end. The biggest hurdle was attaining the risers... I had them on order already but couldn't wait for stock to arrive so I managed to get some sent locally aswell and was back up and running in a couple of days.
emunebtk (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 02:06:37 AM

Quoting my previous post lol... Check out the first image. You really need to get them out of the case and into the open air. Particularly if the room they are in is not temperature controlled, i.e aircon and ambient temp in room is a little on the warm side... Just get yourself an el-cheapo shelf (mine in the image cost me 15 bux! from a bunnings/home depo type hardware store), some x1 or x16 risers and suspend those puppies above the board. The fan you see in the image is from a decommissioned Xigmatex CPU cooler. It feels like my 50w floor fan/box fan it pumps that much air but not nearly drawing as much power. I used to use the floor fan/box fan to cool these babies down when they were in my case, which was a Sharkoon T9 Value case on it's side with the side off and temps were what you're reporting atm (80ish-90C). The rack they're sitting on is just from an old fridge we have in the garage that does not work anymore, so I salvaged one of the racks from it and use that along with a couple of pieces of dowel to rest them on.

I tried to avoid all this shit to keep temps down but I had to bite the bullet and get enough air flow through them, especially since I wanted a constant 750+kh/s without the risk of cooking the cards. It paid off in the end. The biggest hurdle was attaining the risers... I had them on order already but couldn't wait for stock to arrive so I managed to get some sent locally aswell and was back up and running in a couple of days.

Then that is exactly what I am going to do especially with wanting to add a second 7970 into the mix here sometime very soon. How come you don't just keep everything else in the tower and just pull the GPU's out on risers like the following mockup with of course throwing a fan somewhere in the mix :

Also what would be the difference between getting x16 or x1 risers btw? sorry pretty noobish when it comes to this part but am a fast learner!! Feeling pretty stoked though on my constant 700 right now but still want that 730-750 to really put a smile on my face =D thanks for dealing with all my questions..really a big help and hopefully to others reading with 7970 issues.
Joori

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 03:25:18 AM

Then that is exactly what I am going to do especially with wanting to add a second 7970 into the mix here sometime very soon. How come you don't just keep everything else in the tower and just pull the GPU's out on risers like the following mockup with of course throwing a fan somewhere in the mix :

Also what would be the difference between getting x16 or x1 risers btw? sorry pretty noobish when it comes to this part but am a fast learner!! Feeling pretty stoked though on my constant 700 right now but still want that 730-750 to really put a smile on my face =D thanks for dealing with all my questions..really a big help and hopefully to others reading with 7970 issues.

Quite simply, because risers have a fixed length and the cards would only extend a few inches above the mobo anyway and the longer you make them, the less likely the cards will hash properly or even be detected by the mobo. I read somewhere on this forum that 30cm's is the limit to a PCI-E riser cable. Anymore and the resistance is too great and the card underperforms or fails to be detected. Some people have reported success in daisy chaining a couple together, tho personally my powered risers wouldn't allow the PC to boot if I daisy chained them (2 x risers together). My risers are about 18.5cm long each from tip to toe so going by the 30cm rule, it made sense that the cards failed to initialize correctly despite powering up. This and the fact I'd get ALOT more air flow if i had everything out of the constraints of the case with proper spacing.

As for the differences? Well, I'm no expert and without googling the actual answer I'd hazard a guess that it's just transfer rates and shouldn't impact mining speed whatsoever since it's the GPU's themselves that are doing the computations. There is actually a thread or two talking about this since there are a few people wondering how long you can make a riser cable. Maybe someone more knowledgeable in this area could chime in but for the most part, I'd already ordered x16 risers so I chose to stick with them for now. I still have another 2 x4 PCI-E slots available and 2 x1 slots on my mobo for future expansion should I decide to go that route. Having said this, I tried to throw in an old 5770 (flashed to a 6770) in one of the PCI-E x4 slots and both my 7970's hash rate dropped to ~500kh/s. I haven't investigated this any further as of yet but plan to see why this happened eventually.

As a side note, moving air cools and stays cool alot quicker than still air. So as long as you have some kind of air movement along with everything out of the case, then temps will be a non issue for the most part. Infact, take a look at the https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7216.0 thread. Lots of mining rigs there both open case, rack mounted or full tower setups. I go jelly when I view that thread Cheesy
emunebtk (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 01:26:43 AM

Quite simply, because risers have a fixed length and the cards would only extend a few inches above the mobo anyway and the longer you make them, the less likely the cards will hash properly or even be detected by the mobo. I read somewhere on this forum that 30cm's is the limit to a PCI-E riser cable. Anymore and the resistance is too great and the card underperforms or fails to be detected. Some people have reported success in daisy chaining a couple together, tho personally my powered risers wouldn't allow the PC to boot if I daisy chained them (2 x risers together). My risers are about 18.5cm long each from tip to toe so going by the 30cm rule, it made sense that the cards failed to initialize correctly despite powering up. This and the fact I'd get ALOT more air flow if i had everything out of the constraints of the case with proper spacing.

Very good points! Theoretically though if you had a shelf inches away you might be able to get away with a 12" Riser coming from the case but then again probably not with it already sunk inches in. So yes..here what your saying and pretty sure I am going to have to take apart an older computer to make that happen. Might not be able to put it back in if I ever wanted to Wink

As for the differences? Well, I'm no expert and without googling the actual answer I'd hazard a guess that it's just transfer rates and shouldn't impact mining speed whatsoever since it's the GPU's themselves that are doing the computations. There is actually a thread or two talking about this since there are a few people wondering how long you can make a riser cable. Maybe someone more knowledgeable in this area could chime in but for the most part, I'd already ordered x16 risers so I chose to stick with them for now. I still have another 2 x4 PCI-E slots available and 2 x1 slots on my mobo for future expansion should I decide to go that route. Having said this, I tried to throw in an old 5770 (flashed to a 6770) in one of the PCI-E x4 slots and both my 7970's hash rate dropped to ~500kh/s. I haven't investigated this any further as of yet but plan to see why this happened eventually.

As a side note, moving air cools and stays cool alot quicker than still air. So as long as you have some kind of air movement along with everything out of the case, then temps will be a non issue for the most part. Infact, take a look at the https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7216.0 thread. Lots of mining rigs there both open case, rack mounted or full tower setups. I go jelly when I view that thread Cheesy

Thanks for that link! huge help in seeing what everyone else is coming up with and pretty sure i am ready to make my home depot and frys trip soon. As for the 1x and 16x it looks like it really doesn't make too much of a difference from my readings due to amount of power/memory?something? not needed but testing will be a whole nother story as nothing is every as easy as it sounds. Luckily I only need 1 or 2 x16 as the 1x seems to come in handy when trying to connect more then 2 GPU's. I could be mistaken though. I have an old 5770 on my Mac Pro but couldnt get it above 50 kh/s no matter what I did. Instead it spits 160 mh/s for BTC which isnt much but can leave it on over night to gain 60 cents..ha!
So pretty happy just rolling with my steady 700 kh/s right now on a 925/1275 & tc8192 with temp 82-84 until I can bring it out of the case and ramp it up higher. On a 1045/1500 it shoots way past 750 kh/s now but temps creeping past 88/89 so I think I can live with 700 being in a metal heat box. Pretty sure if i keep it below 85 no damage will be done right? Thanks again for the advice..feels lovely to be collecting coins now..ahhhh
Joori

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 04:46:31 AM

Haha yes it's a nice feeling when collecting coins considering the price of LTC just went up but so did the difficulty Tongue If you're planning on running 3 GPU's or more on risers, then you'll probably want to make one of the GPU's use a powered riser. You'll avoid burning out the mobo and possibly the cards in the process from all the power draw. 2 is fine tho, mine are on powered risers but I have not utilized the molex connector on them at this point in time and they seem to be doing great without them. When I do add another GPU I'll definitely be plugging one of the molex's in, the last thing I'd want is to ruin 900+ bucks worth of hardware over a silly power overload Shocked

700kh/s is a great rate to start off with, you'll be even happier once you get all your gear out into the open and are able to sail past 730kh/s with ease. If you're really keen, repaste the GPU Heatsink and you would probably squeeze a bit more out of the card. Wink

emunebtk (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 05:23:00 AM

Haha yes it's a nice feeling when collecting coins considering the price of LTC just went up but so did the difficulty Tongue If you're planning on running 3 GPU's or more on risers, then you'll probably want to make one of the GPU's use a powered riser. You'll avoid burning out the mobo and possibly the cards in the process from all the power draw. 2 is fine tho, mine are on powered risers but I have not utilized the molex connector on them at this point in time and they seem to be doing great without them. When I do add another GPU I'll definitely be plugging one of the molex's in, the last thing I'd want is to ruin 900+ bucks worth of hardware over a silly power overload Shocked

700kh/s is a great rate to start off with, you'll be even happier once you get all your gear out into the open and are able to sail past 730kh/s with ease. If you're really keen, repaste the GPU Heatsink and you would probably squeeze a bit more out of the card. Wink

changed ratio to 1022/1244 and bam! running at a stable 725 kh/s with 82temp still in case!!! Going to still take it out as a 2nd GPU will be added soon and then it will be a whole new ball game in temp. but yeah..planning on getting powered and well molex im not even sure how to hook that up but that lesson will have to be learned another day. My brain needs a few days off Wink Thanks for your help and everyone elses! If anyone needs a little help on tuning a GIGABYTE 7970 give me a holla
Joori

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 05:47:06 AM

changed ratio to 1022/1244 and bam! running at a stable 725 kh/s with 82temp still in case!!! Going to still take it out as a 2nd GPU will be added soon and then it will be a whole new ball game in temp. but yeah..planning on getting powered and well molex im not even sure how to hook that up but that lesson will have to be learned another day. My brain needs a few days off Wink Thanks for your help and everyone elses! If anyone needs a little help on tuning a GIGABYTE 7970 give me a holla

The molex is connected to the riser, so as well as having your 6 and 8 pin PCI-E power plugs to the cards themselves, you plug another molex power plug from the PSU to the riser's molex connector. Easy peasy japaneasy Tongue

...I wouldn't worry about utilizing the molex's for 2 GPU's.. you should have more than enough power delivered from the mobo to the cards. Still get the powered risers for future proofing Wink

Glad it's all working out for you in the end man - take some rest and let your baby hash away for a while Smiley
kosmarnik

Activity: 7

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 04:45:48 PM

running at a stable 725 kh/s with 82temp still in case!!!
 If anyone needs a little help on tuning a GIGABYTE 7970 give me a holla

Hi there!
I do.
Got the Gigabyte 797OC-3GD rev1, and doing only 530Khs with official BIOS, F3.
Would you mind sharing what BIOS did you settle on and what settings?
Thanks!
ernie-

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2014, 10:56:01 PM

you dont need to bios flash. scrypt mining is strange voodoo and requires a magic combination of core speed, memory speed, thread concurrency, intensity, and -g switches to get the optimum hashrate without hw errors. The only way to do this is trial and error.

wouldn't flashing allow him to undervolt and raise mem and gup??

That is my take on it as pretty sure that is my issue right now? oh to flash or not to flash
\

gigabyte triple fan gpus are voltage locked, period. no amount of software changes or bios changes will change the voltage. it's hardware locked because gigabyte is too cheap to to put components on the PCB that allow the user to change voltage. unless you have multimeter probe reading or kill-a-watt reading to prove me wrong, this is what I will continue to believe and spread.

This is not true, with the F62 BIOS it will go down to 0.95v if you set --gpu-engine 700 in cgminer. At 701 it will be 1.2V and at 1001 it will be 1.25V

kosmarnik

Activity: 7

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 12:34:02 AM

This is not true, with the F62 BIOS it will go down to 0.95v if you set --gpu-engine 700 in cgminer. At 701 it will be 1.2V and at 1001 it will be 1.25V

Hi,
where did you get the BIOS, and did the card come with a single or double digit BIOS?
I'm trying to get mine up from 530Khs, flashed around ~15 different BIOSes but either doesn't help or won't boot/load drivers/crashes on cgminer.
cdrx

Activity: 441
Merit: 109

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 02:34:18 PM

GV-R797OC-3GD

anyone wants to share a working .bat overclock and undervolt stable settings for claymore 10.0 ?

-cclock
-mclock
-cvddc
-mvddc

Especially, works undervolting ? Thanks.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: