Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:06:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 ... 180 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][YAC] YACoin ongoing development  (Read 379837 times)
senj

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 03:54:11 PM

I can not imagine YAC having any distinct advantage over other prominent coins without POW far in the future (at least a couple of years).
And if Yac is to succeed N factor will be the key driving force for superior POW block distribution.
Remove that and you are left with just a bunch of coins in a few hands and have initiated euthanization of a plain clone.

I am ok with Feb 1st or even sooner since I believe Yac has a lot of attention right now due to exchange problems.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sairon

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

One does not simply mine Bitcoins

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 04:09:40 PM

I'm glad you've got something in mind, I've spent a couple hours trying to find out what the fix novacoin implemented was, even digging through the code, but I can't isolate a single POS fix - there have been quite a few tweaks to POS in Novacoin.  I can see that  they currently have adjacent POS blocks, so what did they do to address this issue?
AFAIK Novacoin "fixed" this by having a centralized checkpointing system in-place. Essentially one person controlling the whole network (deciding on the valid chain), which defeats the decentralized nature of cryptocoins.

GPG key ID: 5E4F108A || BTC: 1hoardyponb9AMWhyA28DZb5n5g2bRY8v
St.Bit

Activity: 280

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 04:11:59 PM
Last edit: January 02, 2014, 04:22:04 PM by St.Bit

I've got a "workaround" for this issue. Still, it requires a hard-fork.
It's quite simple, just disallow two consecutive PoS blocks and lower PoS trust to match PoW (1).
There's no way PoS-only miner can orphan a single block.
Matching PoS and POW trust has enourmous consequences so we have to be very carefull here.

The biggest problem is that it'd be possible for PoW-miners to turn YAC into PoW-only!
Once we are there we couldn't get back without a hardfork and it's unlikely we could possibly agree on such by then. PoW is far more important than just distributing initial coins.
and unable to secure the network later on since f.e. it can be centralized.
(I've written someting about that on yacointalk, that's also why YAC is special)

I belive the current problem of one PoS-block overwriting more than 6blocks is far less than the problems we would get when we have no more or just a bit PoS. PoS as whole has to be much stronger than PoW so that all miners couldn't agree on "just ophraning all PoS" to make more profit. A PoW-block will always have more new coins than the average PoS block so most PoS would disapear and the rest 'd be centralized.

PoS mining is truly decentralized so we should try to keep it as important as possible.
I can't think of a technical way to prevent doublespends AND miners from fighting PoS.
What we could do is increase PoW-rewards for miners that mine on top of a PoS block.

It must be either chaintrust PoS>>>PoW or new coins generated in ...-PoW-PoW-PoS-PoW >...-PoW-PoW-PoW-PoW. We all know that PoS>PoW is problematic so we should go with the 2nd.

I'm glad you've got something in mind, I've spent a couple hours trying to find out what the fix novacoin implemented was, even digging through the code, but I can't isolate a single POS fix - there have been quite a few tweaks to POS in Novacoin.  I can see that  they currently have adjacent POS blocks, so what did they do to address this issue?
AFAIK Novacoin "fixed" this by having a centralized checkpointing system in-place. Essentially one person controlling the whole network (deciding on the valid chain), which defeats the decentralized nature of cryptocoins.
A centralized checkpoint for the next few months would be far better than loosing or having less PoS in the future than we have now.

The only issue is deciding on the blockchain fork date. It should be fairly soon, but not too soon as we should give a majority of the network time to upgrade. How about 1 month?
I think that's reasonable.

EDIT: Sorry smtg wrong
EDIT2: Added stuff in RED.

Sign a message and get some YAC: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300152.0
sairon

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 04:15:49 PM

I've got a "workaround" for this issue. Still, it requires a hard-fork.
It's quite simple, just disallow two consecutive PoS blocks and lower PoS trust to match PoW (1).
There's no way PoS-only miner can orphan a single block.
Matching PoS and POW trust has enourmous consequences so we have to be very carefull here.

The biggest problem is that it'd be possible for PoW-miners to turn YAC into PoW-only!
Once we are there we couldn't get back without a hardfork and it's unlikely we could possibly agree on such by then. PoW is far more important than just distributing initial coins.(I've written someting about that on yacointalk, that's also why YAC is special)

I belive the current problem of one PoS-block overwriting more than 6blocks is far less than the problems we would get when we have no more or just a bit PoS. PoS as whole has to be much stronger than PoW so that all miners couldn't agree on "just ophraning all PoS" to make more profit. A PoW-block will always have more new coins than the average PoS block so most PoS would disapear and the rest 'd be centralized.

PoS mining is truly decentralized so we should try to keep it as important as possible.
I can't think of a technical way to prevent doublespends AND miners from fighting PoS.
What we could do is increase PoW-rewards for miners that mine on top of a PoS block.

It must be either chaintrust PoS>>>PoW or new coins generated in ...-PoW-PoW-PoS-PoW >...-PoW-PoW-PoW-PoW. We all know that PoS>PoW is problematic so we should go with the 2nd.

A centralized checkpoint for the next few months would be far better than loosing or having less PoS in the future than we have now.

The only issue is deciding on the blockchain fork date. It should be fairly soon, but not too soon as we should give a majority of the network time to upgrade. How about 1 month?
I think that's reasonable.

Yeah, but orphaning a single PoS block with 2 PoW blocks actually costs you something (you have to be lucky or have majority of the network's hashrate). OTOH you can generate PoS blocks essentially for free.

Also, the gain from orphaning PoS is ZERO.

bitdwarf

The cryptocoin watcher

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 05:09:36 PM

Can't we just slow down PoW block target rate, so only a couple are mined between PoS blocks.

𝖄𝖆𝖈: YF3feU4PNLHrjwa1zV63BcCdWVk5z6DAh5 · 𝕭𝖙𝖈: 12F78M4oaNmyGE5C25ZixarG2Nk6UBEqme
Ɏ: "the altcoin for the everyman, where the sweat on one's brow can be used to cool one's overheating CPU" -- theprofileth
WindMaster (OP)

Activity: 347

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 05:11:09 PM

Yeah, but orphaning a single PoS block with 2 PoW blocks actually costs you something (you have to be lucky or have majority of the network's hashrate).

It seems that there's currently a pool in a position to make it happen on a frequent ongoing basis.  Orphaning a PoS block with 2 PoW blocks doesn't really cost you anything extra if you're already PoW mining anyway and happen to hit 2 consecutive PoW blocks.

OTOH you can generate PoS blocks essentially for free.

Well, you do have to hold YAC, and hold it long enough, so I'm not sure it's correct to say minting PoS blocks is free.

The gain in the miner's held YAC from orphaning PoS blocks is zero, but there may be other motivations other than an immediate gain in YAC to orphan PoS blocks.
sairon

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 05:16:24 PM

Can't we just slow down PoW block target rate, so only a couple are mined between PoS blocks.
That wouldn't stop anyone from orphaning all the PoW blocks at the tip of the chain.

Yeah, but orphaning a single PoS block with 2 PoW blocks actually costs you something (you have to be lucky or have majority of the network's hashrate).

It seems that there's currently a pool in a position to make it happen on a frequent ongoing basis.  Orphaning a PoS block with 2 PoW blocks doesn't really cost you anything extra if you're already PoW mining anyway and happen to hit 2 consecutive PoW blocks.

Nope, the rogue PoW miner has to decide in advance to invest his work in what will most probably be an invalid chain. So when he fails to execute his attack, he effectively lost his potential profit from playing nice.
OTOH, with PoS you can safely and with absolutely no additional cost mine on all the forks.

OTOH you can generate PoS blocks essentially for free.

Well, you do have to hold YAC, and hold it long enough, so I'm not sure it's correct to say minting PoS blocks is free.
And what's gonna stop me from purchasing the minimum amount of YAC needed for some type of attack, assign them into multiple "packets" of coins that have different PoS maturity time so I get 1 PoS block every X hours/days/whatever? Wink
(and trust me, the amount of YAC is small enough for anyone to buy)

The gain in the miner's held YAC from orphaning PoS blocks is zero, but there may be other motivations other than an immediate gain in YAC to orphan PoS blocks.
I fail to see any possible motivation to do so whatsoever.

WindMaster (OP)

Activity: 347

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 05:37:21 PM

It seems that there's currently a pool in a position to make it happen on a frequent ongoing basis.  Orphaning a PoS block with 2 PoW blocks doesn't really cost you anything extra if you're already PoW mining anyway and happen to hit 2 consecutive PoW blocks.

Nope, the rogue PoW miner has to decide in advance to invest his work in what will most probably be an invalid chain. So when he fails to execute his attack, he effectively lost his potential profit from playing nice.
OTOH, with PoS you can safely and with absolutely no additional cost mine on all the forks.

In the current scenario where one pool actually does have majority hashpower, this isn't quite true.  Of course, the bigger problem isn't that issue, it's that there's one pool with majority hashpower at all..  Perhaps this should be a larger item of concern for the YACoin community at the moment.

I fail to see any possible motivation to do so whatsoever.

The cryptocurrency community contains a certain number of people who like to be a dick, and will do things solely for the purpose of being as much of a dick as possible.  I think Luke-Jr possibly sets a good example of how best to be a dick to many altcoins.
bitdwarf

The cryptocoin watcher

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 05:37:40 PM

Is it possible to identify new PoW minted coins so exchanges/businesses/wallets reject them until they have definitely cooled down?

I understand if they don't move after minting until it's confirmed PoS won't orphan them, getting orphaned would be just an issue of PoW mining efficiency. Is that correct?

𝖄𝖆𝖈: YF3feU4PNLHrjwa1zV63BcCdWVk5z6DAh5 · 𝕭𝖙𝖈: 12F78M4oaNmyGE5C25ZixarG2Nk6UBEqme
Ɏ: "the altcoin for the everyman, where the sweat on one's brow can be used to cool one's overheating CPU" -- theprofileth
sairon

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 05:39:50 PM

Is it possible to identify new PoW minted coins so exchanges/businesses/wallets reject them until they have definitely cooled down?
That's already done at the protocol level. Smiley

I understand if they don't move after minting until it's confirmed PoS won't orphan them, getting orphaned would be just an issue of PoW mining efficiency. Is that correct?
The problem is not block orphaning, but reversing of transactions (double-spending).

sairon

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 05:43:39 PM

In the current scenario where one pool actually does have majority hashpower, this isn't quite true.  Of course, the bigger problem isn't that issue, it's that there's one pool with majority hashpower at all..  Perhaps this should be a larger item of concern for the YACoin community at the moment.
The same goes for Bitcoin - just look at btcguild's recent luck.

The cryptocurrency community contains a certain number of people who like to be a dick, and will do things solely for the purpose of being as much of a dick as possible.  I think Luke-Jr possibly sets a good example of how best to be a dick to many altcoins.
LOL, what has Luke-Jr done? Haven't heard anything.

bitdwarf

The cryptocoin watcher

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 05:51:06 PM

The problem is not block orphaning, but reversing of transactions (double-spending).

We could then make the wallet hold longer on confirming transactions with new coins, unless the wallet owner likes to live dangerously and disables the safety delay.

sairon

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 05:52:56 PM

We could then make the wallet hold longer on confirming transactions with new coins, unless the wallet owner likes to live dangerously and disables the safety delay.

That's solution for the consequence, not the cause.
Also, how long is long enough? It wouldn't be bulletproof...

Beave162

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 05:57:38 PM

How come Peercoin doesn't have these problems? Or do they?
I have lost tons of YACoin from BTER-- they are scamming a lot of people. So I won't be in a position to offer bounties for a while. What would be the best type of bounty?  More pools with different features? A javascript mining program/pool like bitminter?  I cringe at the idea of centralized checkpointing or reduced POS awards.

YaCoin: YL5kf54wPPXKsXd5T18xCaNkyUsS1DgY7z 
BitCoin: 14PFbLyUdTyxZg3V8hnvj5VXkx3dhthmDj
bitdwarf

The cryptocoin watcher

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 06:04:03 PM

Long enough to detect the situation maybe. New coins could take a month or a quarter to mature and it would still not be too outrageous for a mint and sell business -- resource miners everywhere have to deal with futures for such timespans.

sairon

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 06:13:47 PM

Long enough to detect the situation maybe. New coins could take a month or a quarter to mature and it would still not be too outrageous for a mint and sell business -- resource miners everywhere have to deal with futures for such timespans.

New coins need 520 confirmations already - which is almost 9 hours.
But this is NOT the problem. The problem is that transactions from an orphaned block get REVERSED (eg. you deposit YAC to exchange, wait until the exchange credits you the deposited balance, block gets "magically" orphaned - and you now have both your YACs AND credit at an exchange - that's why Cryptsy has been disabling YAC trading lately).

sairon

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 06:15:31 PM

How come Peercoin doesn't have these problems? Or do they?
I have lost tons of YACoin from BTER-- they are scamming a lot of people. So I won't be in a position to offer bounties for a while. What would be the best type of bounty?  More pools with different features? A javascript mining program/pool like bitminter?  I cringe at the idea of centralized checkpointing or reduced POS awards.
Peercoin is using the centralized checkpointing approach as far as I can tell.

Joe_Bauers

Activity: 802
Merit: 1003

GCVMMWH

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 06:24:07 PM

It is, as well as NVC. If we can find a way to both avert this issue, AND not implement centralized checkpointing (which I also don't agree with), it would be a great way
to distinguish YAC even more.  Of course Sunny King is pretty fucking brilliant and probably pondered this forever, so that may still be the only way  Undecided

I'm trying to stay out of this debate (another way to avoid centralized "checkpointing"  Wink ) but we really need to do something soon.  I think a Feb 1st hard fork date, as mentioned before would be sufficient though.   
bitdwarf

The cryptocoin watcher

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 06:28:51 PM

(eg. you deposit YAC to exchange, wait until the exchange credits you the deposited balance, block gets "magically" orphaned - and you now have both your YACs AND credit at an exchange - that's why Cryptsy has been disabling YAC trading lately).

Why would an exchange give you credit for freshly minted coins, unless they deliberatedly wanted the risk.

Beave162

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 06:30:58 PM

It is, as well as NVC. If we can find a way to both avert this issue, AND not implement centralized checkpointing (which I also don't agree with), it would be a great way
to distinguish YAC even more.  Of course Sunny King is pretty fucking brilliant and probably pondered this forever, so that may still be the only way  Undecided

I'm trying to stay out of this debate (another way to avoid centralized "checkpointing"  Wink ) but we really need to do something soon.  I think a Feb 1st hard fork date, as mentioned before would be sufficient though.    

Has this idea been done?  Built-in POW-POS-POW-POS staggered blocks?  What implications does it have other than fix the POW orphan problem (ie unintended consequences)?

YaCoin: YL5kf54wPPXKsXd5T18xCaNkyUsS1DgY7z 
BitCoin: 14PFbLyUdTyxZg3V8hnvj5VXkx3dhthmDj
Pages: « 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 ... 180 »
  Print  

Jump to: