Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:21:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining rig far from the router - possible wifi solution?  (Read 1184 times)
Decagrog (OP)

Activity: 289
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 02:06:25 PM

Hi,

I want to place the my rig in the basement but it's far about 70mt and there are couple of thick walls in between...I can't place any cable since the basement is detached from home and is over a public road so the only way is via wifi.

I was thinking about a wifi booster, I guess that I need one for the rig and one for the router... no problem for the rig but the router is in my room and I don't want to have a 1watt booster@2mt from my head  Roll Eyes
Anyone can suggest me a possible setup or any similar experience to share? Maybe a combination of booster and directional antennas? 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Giskard

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 07:43:09 PM

Hi,

I want to place the my rig in the basement but it's far about 70mt and there are couple of thick walls in between...I can't place any cable since the basement is detached from home and is over a public road so the only way is via wifi.

I was thinking about a wifi booster, I guess that I need one for the rig and one for the router... no problem for the rig but the router is in my room and I don't want to have a 1watt booster@2mt from my head  Roll Eyes
Anyone can suggest me a possible setup or any similar experience to share? Maybe a combination of booster and directional antennas? 

Two directional antennas outside the premises (70 m apart), preferably LOS (line of sight) and then cabling between the antennas, router, etc.

You shouldn't need a booster.
MSantori

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:10:36 PM

Yup, you'll need two high-powered directional antennae.

Marco Santori is a lawyer, but not your lawyer, and this is not legal advice.  If you do have specific questions, though, please don't hesitate to PM me.  We've learned this forum isn't 100% secure, so you might prefer to email me.  Maybe I can help!  Depending upon your jurisdiction, this post might be construed as attorney advertising, so: attorney advertising Smiley
Decagrog (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 06:54:26 AM

Uhmn, thanks for the reply but yesterday I've installed on the router a 9db omnidirectional antenna and I've checked the signal with the phone, it barely go over 30mt without any wall  Undecided

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 07:14:25 AM

Uhmn, thanks for the reply but yesterday I've installed on the router a 9db omnidirectional antenna and I've checked the signal with the phone, it barely go over 30mt without any wall  Undecided
Uh, yeah. Hence why you need a directional antenna. All is not lost, however, as you can crudely convert an omnidirectional antenna into a directional one using ordinary cooking utensils. That should give you a range of at least a couple of hundred metres (within line of sight).

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Decagrog (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:10:20 AM

Uh, yeah. Hence why you need a directional antenna. All is not lost, however, as you can crudely convert an omnidirectional antenna into a directional one using ordinary cooking utensils. That should give you a range of at least a couple of hundred metres (within line of sight).

Yeah I've used in the past to experiment with those "poor man" solutions but little result, moreover I would like to have on the balcony some more discreet  Grin
Instead I was thinking to something like that http://www.ebay.com/itm/high-gain-directional-For-Para-wifi-USB-antenna-antena-wireless-network-extender-/251272563833?pt=US_USB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item3a81030c79

Is a directional outdoor antenna with embedded an usb adapter .... the booster output is not specified but since is directional pointing it out of my room should be safe.
Still i don't know if a similar setup will work  Roll Eyes

jruskin555

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 09:02:01 AM

Create a half-cylinder shape with aluminum wrap. Place it behind the antenna and adjust so that the antenna is at the focus point. Check signal quality while you adjust positioning for both antennas. Also, try increasing transmit power from the router if possible and choose the channel (frequency) with the least interference.  If done right, the signal can go through several walls and ceilings.
Decagrog (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 07:17:51 AM

Create a half-cylinder shape with aluminum wrap. Place it behind the antenna and adjust so that the antenna is at the focus point. Check signal quality while you adjust positioning for both antennas. Also, try increasing transmit power from the router if possible and choose the channel (frequency) with the least interference.  If done right, the signal can go through several walls and ceilings.

As i said before I played for long with those hacks, they are nice and userful  but now I need a better solution, I can't keep the antenna inside (too much signal loss) and I can't keep the router outside ( is not hard waterproofing it but it will result very bulky and I can't power it over eth)

I think that an adapter like the one I've linked is a far better option: PoE (so just one cable) , waterproof, booster integrated, antenna and small form factor ...I just need to know if someone have ever tried a similar product  Smiley

Btw looking for the channel interference it's a good suggestion, I've found a nice android app for wifi monitoring and this evening I'll try to find the most efficient  channel  Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: