Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:07:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is Bittrex taking 20 confirmations to deposit BCash?  (Read 442 times)
manselr (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 05:10:47 PM

When trying to dump my BCash for more BTC, I am faced with several problems. One of them, is needing to send a transaction for each public key in order to maintain privacy.

The other is, how slow BCash is. Bittrex is taking 20 confirmations for deposits, which means it will take me forever to dump the entirity of my wallet.

I have seen other exchanges, that don't require 20 confirmations. Why does Bitttrex require 20 confirmations, while others like Bitfinex seem to take less? Is it safe to take less than 20 confirmations when depositing? Please help.
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
B470

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 05:16:37 PM

It's a safety precaution. For your protection.

Right now, blocks @ 55 min. So a day won't kill you.

manselr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 05:42:35 PM

Yup, but imagine that you need to send a separate transaction for every single different address you have, as you should, because otherwise your privacy is compromised, since all of your coins would be joined within the same address, a big mistake for your anonymity again.

So that means, if you received BTC 100 times under 100 different addresses, you need to make 100 different transactions into Bittrex. At current rate, that's 100 days!!!

Why is few people talking about this problem?
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 05:51:56 PM

Yup, but imagine that you need to send a separate transaction for every single different address you have, as you should, because otherwise your privacy is compromised, since all of your coins would be joined within the same address, a big mistake for your anonymity again.

So that means, if you received BTC 100 times under 100 different addresses, you need to make 100 different transactions into Bittrex. At current rate, that's 100 days!!!

That's not how this works.

Each transaction taking 20 transactions are not additive. You can send however many transaction you want, they'll be confirmed in 20 blocks from the time you have sent them so if you send a lot, all of them will get confirmed at the same time.

Not your keys, not your coins!
chiznitz

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2017, 01:31:33 AM

When trying to dump my BCash for more BTC, I am faced with several problems. One of them, is needing to send a transaction for each public key in order to maintain privacy.

The other is, how slow BCash is. Bittrex is taking 20 confirmations for deposits, which means it will take me forever to dump the entirity of my wallet.

I have seen other exchanges, that don't require 20 confirmations. Why does Bitttrex require 20 confirmations, while others like Bitfinex seem to take less? Is it safe to take less than 20 confirmations when depositing? Please help.

Now that the network is finding blocks more smoothly we have reduced confirmations to 10.

Looking for the best exchange? -> https://bittrex.com
manselr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 02:17:22 PM

That's not how this works.

Each transaction taking 20 transactions are not additive. You can send however many transaction you want, they'll be confirmed in 20 blocks from the time you have sent them so if you send a lot, all of them will get confirmed at the same time.

Ah that is true. I realized it gets added in batches of 20 minute blocks (apparently now every 10 minutes, according to the poster above which seems he works at bittrex)

Im going to try sending some transactions just to test things out and see what happens. Hopefully everything goes okay.
david123
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 02:22:17 PM

No wonder, who wants to mine that crap at the same difficulty as legit BTC.
The strangest thing about this is the diff adjustments downwards, cf. Jimmy Song's medium
article. I have no idea who came up with such strange rules and what is the rationale behind them.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: