Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:45:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting Scammed: Go to Police or Cut Losses and Move On?  (Read 3320 times)
Coffee135

Activity: 392
Merit: 137

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 06:01:49 PM

If it's happen on my country, I'm afraid that police can't do anything because bitcoin still not being legalized at my place.
So when you decide to invest bitcoin , it means that you're aware the risk and it's all your responsible for your own bitcoin !
In my country the police are not involved in such crimes even if it is Fiat. All banking transactions is too classified. It is easier to refuse to help to say that the money lost in the unknown direction than to admit to the register of transactions by unauthorized persons. Suddenly happen to find transactions of politicians. Bitcoin transactions even more difficult. Finding cheaters no chance. Don't waste time.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
IAMYOURLEADER

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 08:21:25 AM

I know this is a bad suggestion but I think you just need to forget it. Just be  careful next time because we still need to go to mass adoption so our government can pass a bill that will protect our cryptocurrency rights and sue
 crypto criminals.
detector

Activity: 484
Merit: 124

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 09:16:35 AM

I know this is a bad suggestion but I think you just need to forget it. Just be  careful next time because we still need to go to mass adoption so our government can pass a bill that will protect our cryptocurrency rights and sue
 crypto criminals.

If government already legalize bitcoin, you can ask the cyber police to after them but most government  still not legalize bitcoin because it can be use for criminal activity.
My suggestion especially in crypto world : TRUST NO ONE !
Lieldoryn

Activity: 630
Merit: 272

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 02:48:02 PM

I know this is a bad suggestion but I think you just need to forget it. Just be  careful next time because we still need to go to mass adoption so our government can pass a bill that will protect our cryptocurrency rights and sue
 crypto criminals.
I am sure that if the government decides to legalize the use of cryptocurrencies it will bring more harm and losses than cases of theft of coins are scams. I use bitcoin because they don't trust their government. It is only natural that I didn't trust law enforcement agencies which serve the government. I personally ensure their safety and bear responsibility for it.
bambazamba

Activity: 348
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 09:23:54 AM

Someone in Europe messaged me through the Abra App to buy BTC. He sent me a pic of the money with the date and my name in the picture as proof. After he reassured me we could make the transaction in a bank, I told him I could only go to Europe for a 50% fee. He agreed.
Since Abra is KYC compliant I assumed making a transaction over $10k would be OK.
Then when I arrived, he told me to meet with his "brother", as he knew more about BTC.
3 guys met me at my hotel lobby and dismissed the idea of taking all the money to the bank and said that the bank would create a lot of problems walking in with a lot of cash.
With a few bills they asked me to take randomly from the cash, I walked in a FX exchange with 1 guy (while the other 2 were waiting in their car with the rest of the cash) to verify the bills were indeed valid.
We then went back to my hotel lobby and I sent the BTC to his blockchain.info wallet address (he said he wanted to use his Blockchain wallet and not Abra and I figured I could just fill out the Form 8300 later instead) and then they gave me the bag of cash.
Later in my hotel room I discovered that the cash had been swapped out for fake money (perhaps in their car at the FX exchange). FYI I don't have a lot of street smart.

If I go to the police could I get AML charges on me? Especially since I haven't filled out the 8300 form yet. And I just found out here in Italy the legal transaction sizes without ID is very small (like 3k). Lastly all I have is phone numbers (which could be disposable) and possibly security cam footage from my hotel.

Thanks

First of all , if you're not street smart , then you need to be street smart now . This is not the way blockchain works . I am pretty sure you are new to the  world of blockchain that is why you put your trust on someone who is a total stranger . In this case , i would highly recommend you to cut the losses and move on . There is no way you can get your money back until and unless you find that man who stole it from you ( which is practically not possible in case of theft ) .
You can get trapped in a foreign land for money laundering or illegal use of money if you complaint about this to police . Because look , the amount is highly suspect-able for the law .
I think you got your life lesson now , you wouldn't fall for such bait in the future .         
RedX

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 07:03:34 AM

I don't think that even police will be able to help you in that case. Bitcoin is still not known widely and even if you have filed a charge against them, the case will have no progress because I believe that the laws that involving crypto is still in a discussions stage so it's better to ignore it for now.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: