Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:09:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL Monarch space heater  (Read 722 times)
Cakeonit (OP)

Activity: 199
Merit: 21

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 11:58:32 PM

I just picked up a Butterfly Labs Monarch 700GH miner on a sled with a 750 watt power supply.  I know this miner is not efficient enough to mine prifitably but I plan to use it to heat a small room in my cold upstate NY house in the winter.  The problem is, with Butterfly labs gone, I have not been able to get the thing mining yet.  It is very clean, no dust, and looks like new.  My major problem is the mining software. I have tried several times running bfg miner on a raspberry pi, but so far keep hitting walls.  I also tried  running BFL's "Easy Miner" software but it throws an error when I launch it.  So, I'm basically starting this thread to see if anyone can help me out setting this old ASIC miner up.  Any advice would be welcome.  Cheers! 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cakeonit (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 12:08:21 AM

So I found a BFL manual, and it says I shouldn't even use anything but the Easyminer software.  Quote from the manual

The BFL custom version of BFGMiner is the only currently approved mining software for use
with the Monarch product line.  Other major mining software may result in the Monarch overheating.
Use of any other mining software will void the warranty. The
custom version of BFGMiner is available from  http://butterflylabs.com/drivers/

Of course the link is dead.  Does anyone have a copy of what I need or a good link?  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Cakeonit (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 12:26:12 AM

So I'm trying BFG Miner for windows, and BFG Miner cant find my ASIC, I'm sure it has to do with installing the proper driver.  Anyone have a driver suggestion?  
Cakeonit (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 12:52:20 AM

OK, I'm using BFGMiner, reset my driver to USB Serial Converter, and it looks like I get a response!  Not the one I want, however.  Now, as soon as I finish my password on BFGMiner, the power supply shuts off, like a circuit breaker.  Interesting.  Defective MIner?  Too small power supply (750Watts)?  Idiot operator?
Cakeonit (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 01:21:23 AM

Now, I'm trying Multiminer, and it recognizes the ASIC.  That is good, but the process crashes after approximately 1 minute.  Also, retried using the native BFGMiner software, and that trips the power supply breaker.  Any input or help would likely get a tip from me at this point.  HELP!

Cakeonit (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 01:58:54 AM

Replaced the power supply, and now I'm getting close.  Now it is not resetting, but trying to mine, but I don't appear to be getting work?  It looks like its mining and then I get the message "failed to find work for que results"!  Getting closer!  I really would appreciate some advice guys!
Cakeonit (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 02:18:56 AM

I am Mining.  Now, I'm mining this bitch too fast,I'm on Slush's pool and showing 256.2Gh/sec, that seems too fast, will I burn this bitch up?  I am using it for a heater, but I'd like it to last a year or so!
Cakeonit (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 02:30:34 AM

Duhh, I'm not hashing anywhere near the stated 700Gh/sec, but its slowly moving up.  And here I thought it was 70Gh/sec lol....
Cakeonit (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 05:48:28 AM

So just an update on my BFL space heater.  I mined with it for a few months just to keep my feet warm under the desk.  After that few months, the horrible thing ended up springing a nice leak of the integrated cooling fluid, and try as I might, I can not figure out how to get it sealed.  So now, it is just a nice relic to look at.  Thats all folks.  Scrap.  I may sell it on ebay as parts, but it would be more to ship than it is worth or parts.  The lesson- do not attempt to use a liquid cooled miner for heat.  This miner was and always will be absolute rubbish.
Kuschelweich

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 03:52:43 PM

So just an update on my BFL space heater.  I mined with it for a few months just to keep my feet warm under the desk.  After that few months, the horrible thing ended up springing a nice leak of the integrated cooling fluid, and try as I might, I can not figure out how to get it sealed.  So now, it is just a nice relic to look at.  Thats all folks.  Scrap.  I may sell it on ebay as parts, but it would be more to ship than it is worth or parts.  The lesson- do not attempt to use a liquid cooled miner for heat.  This miner was and always will be absolute rubbish.

I may be interested in trying to repair it where did it spring a leak exactly? Tried to send a pm about the shipping cost but it looks like you'd have to message me first.

Thx  Smiley
Benjaminplease

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 05:26:00 PM

Cakeonit, Love your narrative. Know exactly what you went through.

Was the power supply the only change to get it staying on? I'm having the same problem with a 700 and just like with you crickets for answers.   I'll try it.

Kuschelweich, do you only fix the cooling system?  Feel free to pm me
Kuschelweich

Activity: 32

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 07:07:31 PM

Cakeonit, Love your narrative. Know exactly what you went through.

Was the power supply the only change to get it staying on? I'm having the same problem with a 700 and just like with you crickets for answers.   I'll try it.

Kuschelweich, do you only fix the cooling system?  Feel free to pm me
I've never actually had one and don't really know much about the cooling system. Just figured it might be fun to try and fix one if it's cheap enough. I was going to purchase some "working" ones when the profitability was better, but seeing how many have cooling system issues I'm thinking it might not be worth the risk.
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 11:47:15 PM

Back off on the hashing power a bit and they last a pretty long time. You can buy the cooling system on Ebay for $25 or so, take off the old one, clean the chips carefully, screw on the new one (has compound on it) and off you go.

I'm running a pair of them to keep a room warm and they do a great job at that......
Cakeonit (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 05:49:14 PM

Hey guys, I just saw that this thread is alive!  I am working right now but I will update and send out a few PMs when I get home.  I will also post up a few pictures of the cooling leaks and the unit in general.  See you soon guys!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: