Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:03:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Armory on the BCH chain  (Read 45851 times)
alomar

Activity: 178
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 04:12:30 PM

the other meta issue around harvesting one's BCH is this recommended procedure to move one's BTC away from a private key before sending BCH to a BCH address.  i completely understand this recommendation as one doesn't want to risk losing their BTC using a crude workaround if they don't do this first.  however, a BCH tool, like Trezor's, that doesn't require this beforehand would be helpful to refine the tool to the point where this doesn't have to be done at all.  it's a problem b/c many of us have hundreds to thousands of private keys with BTC/BCH stored on them and the current recommended process requires us to effectively double the number of tx's to harvest BCH while at the same time risking anonymity (by address merging out of convenience).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
goatpig (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 04:25:40 PM

the other meta issue around harvesting one's BCH is this recommended procedure to move one's BTC away from a private key before sending BCH to a BCH address.  i completely understand this recommendation as one doesn't want to risk losing their BTC using a crude workaround if they don't do this first.  however, a BCH tool, like Trezor's, that doesn't require this beforehand would be helpful to refine the tool to the point where this doesn't have to be done at all.  it's a problem b/c many of us have hundreds to thousands of private keys with BTC/BCH stored on them and the current recommended process requires us to effectively double the number of tx's to harvest BCH while at the same time risking anonymity (by address merging out of convenience).

You have to go through this step to preserve the security model of Bitcoin to begin with. I'm not pulling these recommendations out of nowhere.

hopebit

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 12:20:09 PM

hopebit, did you try it with the procedure in the first post of this thread?
What step exactly doesn't work, with what result?

Ente

No, I didn't try it, because it's dated Aug 6 and it's followed by 8 pages of discussion and I think there are now different versions of the software involved (armory, bitcoin core etc.) which may have different features. Also the procedure contains some "IF"... I would like to know what's the procedure up to date, and what exactly to do in my case without "IF"  (hat's why I posted my personal situation).

Also I was secretly hoping that Amory would have been upgraded with some "magic button" which does the whole procedure automagically with no risk to make errors, lose privacy etc.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 05:27:51 AM

Also I was secretly hoping that Amory would have been upgraded with some "magic button" which does the whole procedure automagically with no risk to make errors, lose privacy etc.

The process of splitting (and disassociating) coins post-fork requires user input at several stages in order to properly protect oneself. Armory is an expert level wallet where security is always considered before convenience and as a long time Armory user I can comfortably say that I would never use such a "magic button" and would hope that the Armory dev(s) would never consider wasting time implementing such a feature. Bitcoin itself is a advanced course in personal responsibility and trying to push that responsibility onto others typically leads to monetary loss.

Security <--------|--------> Convenience

Choose one.

Also, the first post of this thread is still relevant.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 11:35:45 AM

The process of splitting (and disassociating) coins post-fork requires user input at several stages in order to properly protect oneself. Armory is an expert level wallet where security is always considered before convenience and as a long time Armory user I can comfortably say that I would never use such a "magic button" and would hope that the Armory dev(s) would never consider wasting time implementing such a feature. Bitcoin itself is a advanced course in personal responsibility and trying to push that responsibility onto others typically leads to monetary loss.

Security <--------|--------> Convenience

Choose one.

Also, the first post of this thread is still relevant.

Absolutey this.
Better than I could have put it.

Ente
alomar

Activity: 178
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 04:11:33 PM

You have to go through this step to preserve the security model of Bitcoin to begin with. I'm not pulling these recommendations out of nowhere.

ah yes, forgot about exposing one's public keys.  you're correct.
rob40021

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 02:12:08 AM
Last edit: November 26, 2017, 10:33:40 PM by rob40021

Hi

I am pretty non technical person in fact very non technical!

So I am currently downloading BCH unlimited chain to a separate folder on my HDD.

Couple of noob questions what do you mean by cycling a wallet?

What I am not sure about is do i need to I need to install another instance of armory as changing the setting would I presume mess up my current armory wallet. OR can I configure armory to flip between the 2 chains using the signer?

Thanks for any help appreciate work goatpig has done.

Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 03:18:25 AM

What I am not sure about is do i need to I need to install another instance of armory as changing the setting would I presume mess up my current armory wallet. OR can I configure armory to flip between the 2 chains using the signer?

The online instance of Armory will have to build its database against the chain that you want to use.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
MisterT63

Activity: 3

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 02:00:04 PM

I read through the entire piece on page one an many pages after and not being very technical, frankly i have no clue if it was written to solve my problem.

I had bitcoin sitting in my Armory since Apr 2016.  I only moved some out in sep 2017.  At that time i upgraded to version 0.96.3 beta etc.  I never saw any BTC coins shown nor was aware that i should get them when it forked.

I had assumed that i couldnt get any but now understand that in fact i should be able to get the due BCH coins if i was holding them in my own wallet.  Unfortunately i have no clue how to do this with armory which of course i paid for as it was the best at the time.

Having read page 1 if i am right , I need to somehow install Armory on a seperate machine, download a BCH chain or cut a copy of the existing chain to some unknown block between 950-960, use a BCH signer etc...all of which is a total mystery to me.

1) under the above conditions did i receive coins /should i be able to find my coins
2) How do i find my coins
3) how do I access my coins.

Mr G...you are very busy and probably dont want to waste your time explaining in noobspeak how to do this - i am willing to pay for your services in helping me recover my BCH- IF in fact it can be done.  Or if you have a noob guide on what to do i would greatly appreciate it. 

We can take it offline on t63crypto@gmail.com

Kind regards

Tristan
goatpig (OP)
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 02:24:43 PM

Unfortunately i have no clue how to do this with armory which of course i paid for as it was the best at the time.

How in the hell did you pay for Armory? It's free open source software.

1) under the above conditions did i receive coins /should i be able to find my coins

Any coins you had in your Armory wallet on August 1st you'll have the BCH equivalent for. Moving BTC post fork does not change that.

Having read page 1 if i am right , I need to somehow install Armory on a seperate machine, download a BCH chain or cut a copy of the existing chain to some unknown block between 950-960, use a BCH signer etc...all of which is a total mystery to me.

You are getting confused. Basically you want to setup a BCH node as if you were setting up Core. The point is, since you already have Core, and thanks to BCH being idiots, if you setup BCH on your regular system, it will conflict with the existing Core files and mess everything up. Therefor you want to setup BCH in a way that it doesn't shit all over your existing Core setup. The regular way to do this is configure the BCH node to use a different path, and later reflect that on Armory.

If you're really a huge noob or can't be fucked to manually set paths, you could create a new user on your online computer for BCH only (user accounts come with their own set of data folders, and both node and Armory default to the active user data folders). Once you've done this (create new user and get a BCH node running), let sync the chain in full. With that done, grab you Armory wallets from the Core user (digital export is your best option), start Armory on the BCH side and import the wallets in then let it do its thing.

Once this is over, the Armory on the BCH user account will show you your BCH balance and create transactions for the BCH network. You will still have to pick the BCH signer manually to sign something valid.

Mr G...

To you it's mister Pig. Don't you get familiar on me yet, boy!

Searinox

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

Do you like fire? I'm full of it.

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 05:18:48 PM
Last edit: December 06, 2017, 06:55:42 PM by Searinox

I am about to send all my BCH to an exchange to have it converted into BTC. I am naturally cautious and I'd like to verify my case here:

Setup: I have an up-to-date Armory on the BITCOIN(BTC) network with no BCH nodes.

1. I go through the usual process just like sending BTC and put the exchange's BCH address assigned to me in, but just short of the final review window where you click Send!, I change the Signer to BCH.
2. I then go to transaction details, and copy the raw transaction.
3. I need to find a website or tool that will process the raw transaction and broadcast it to the BCH network since I have no BCH node. I know there are a few for BTC but I'm still looking for one for BCH.

After this is complete, the exchange's BCH address should eventually update with the amount I sent. Is this correct? Armory will still generate a valid transaction for me even if it's not on the chain?

Thank you

UPDATE: Went through the offline process and created what I believe should be the correct transaction to push, it is now sitting around while I look for a way to broadcast it. Would be nice to also be able to verify its details.

UPDATE 2: It worked!
HCP
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 4315

<insert witty quote here>

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 08:41:40 PM

Any chance you can share how you broadcast it?

Also, it should be noted that your process might only work if you have not conducted ANY BTC spend transactions since Jul 31st.

Otherwise, Armory might not be able to find the correct inputs as they could possibly have been spent.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
▄█████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
▀█████████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 11:28:50 PM

I am about to send all my BCH to an exchange to have it converted into BTC. I am naturally cautious and I'd like to verify my case here:

Setup: I have an up-to-date Armory on the BITCOIN(BTC) network with no BCH nodes.

1. I go through the usual process just like sending BTC and put the exchange's BCH address assigned to me in, but just short of the final review window where you click Send!, I change the Signer to BCH.
3. I need to find a website or tool that will process the raw transaction and broadcast it to the BCH network since I have no BCH node. I know there are a few for BTC but I'm still looking for one for BCH.

After this is complete, the exchange's BCH address should eventually update with the amount I sent. Is this correct? Armory will still generate a valid transaction for me even if it's not on the chain?

Thank you

UPDATE: Went through the offline process and created what I believe should be the correct transaction to push, it is now sitting around while I look for a way to broadcast it. Would be nice to also be able to verify its details.

At least in August
https://blockdozer.com/insight/tx/send
worked fine. Thanks again, HCP, for the suggestion.
Even if the broadcasting service is malicious, they can't do more than not-broadcat the tx (and know your address and IP).

Of course you need to be *very sure* to use the BCH signer.
Or transfer the bitcoins away first, to another wallet of yours. It's all written down on the first page here.

Ente
Searinox

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

Do you like fire? I'm full of it.

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 07:57:10 AM

Thank you

At least in August
https://blockdozer.com/insight/tx/send
worked fine. Thanks again, HCP, for the suggestion.
Even if the broadcasting service is malicious, they can't do more than not-broadcat the tx (and know your address and IP).

Of course you need to be *very sure* to use the BCH signer.
Or transfer the bitcoins away first, to another wallet of yours. It's all written down on the first page here.

Ente
The service I used was https://pool.viabtc.com/tools/BCH/broadcast/ . I already know they can't tamper the transaction without breaking the signature. I also disabled RBF since it was mentioned earlier in this thread that it doesn't work. I then went to a BCH blockchain explorer and refreshed until I saw my transaction up, then waited until the exchange had enough confirmations to allow me to do trades with it.
KillerTank

Activity: 24

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 12:37:24 PM

Hey Goatpig, thank you for helping me restore my wallet. Now I'm trying to get my BCH off there. When I sign the transaction with the BCH signer and hit send, I get a message that pops up:

Transaction not accepted

16: mandatory script verify flag failed(signature hash type missing or not understood).

I assumed this just meant the BTC chain didnt recognize the transaction, but its not popping up in my BCH wallet either...
goatpig (OP)
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 01:16:05 PM

I assumed this just meant the BTC chain didnt recognize the transaction

Correct.

but its not popping up in my BCH wallet either...

For that to happen, you'd have to submit that transcation to the BCH network, not the BTC network.

KillerTank

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 08:01:05 PM

It all worked fine for me.
Creating unsigned TX on armoryqt, signing on an offline machine, broadcasting on http://blockdozer.com/insight/tx/send
Just please, please, don't forget the checkbox to sign with the bcash signer! :-)

Ente

How do I "broadcast" on blockdozer? After I create and sign the transaction with the BCH signer, I hit send/confirm, then what?
goatpig (OP)
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 08:04:48 PM

Copy the raw tx instead of broadcasting. Paste that in whatever service. There is no guarantee this will work, as you are obviously grabbing the utxos from Core node.

KillerTank

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 10:46:58 PM
Last edit: December 15, 2017, 10:58:21 PM by KillerTank

I pasted the rawTx hex into Blockdozer, and got an error 16: mandatory script verify flag failed "operation not valid with the current stack size"...

Also, in armory on the transaction details page, it doesn't give a transaction ID because it says it's not signed... Do I have to click send for it to sign it? When I click send, it prompts me for my passphrase, and once I enter my passphrase, the error message pops up and I don't get to see the rawTx...

Do I initiate it as an offline transaction? I'm so lost...
KillerTank

View Profile
December 15, 2017, 11:13:00 PM

Ok. I got it... I hate the old "trial and error" method when dealing with money, but I created an unsigned transaction just like doing an offline transaction, then signed it, copied that rawTx hex, and pasted to blockdozer. Transaction sent.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: