Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:55:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin Bundle - indie game developers support Bitcoin  (Read 1608 times)
ffssixtynine (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 10:21:30 AM

(Mods: Move this topic if not the best forum)

A bunch of us indie game developers just launched The Bitcoin Bundle (reddit link)

The developers of World of Goo, Eufloria, And Yet it Moves and Spirits wanted to express support for the currency, especially given what's happened this week, so you can pay what you want for our games, but only in Bitcoins.

All the developers will be paid in Bitcoins as well; we are not using BitPay or Coinbase to convert the coins when you buy the bundle.

If you like what we're doing, please spread the word on Reddit, social networks, or whatever Bitcoin site of your choice. The games are for PC, Mac and Linux, and are DRM free/Steam where available.

Many thanks to those of you who have helped us along the way.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 10:43:19 AM

Paid 1 BTC to support bitcoiners Smiley
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 10:47:38 AM

ffsixtynine

Is there any general discussion by designers about using bitcoin as an in-game currency (where one exists, like in WoW)?
It seems that any role-playing game where people had a real-world currency up for grabs - might attract a lot of player interest.

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 10:53:55 AM

There are Open Source games out there - just fork one of them and add a Bitcoin module. Smiley

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
ffssixtynine (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 10:54:49 AM

Paid 1 BTC to support bitcoiners Smiley

You are a star. I hope you enjoy the games.

re: in-game currency - yes, and it's going to happen for sure. I would take it now but we don't support IAP/DLC in Eufloria.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 11:04:28 AM

An interesting thing would be a game where you mine on the side into a jackpot - limited to the slowest of the n players taking part in a game.

E.g. 50 MH/s can be sustained throughout the game by the slowest player, this gets paid into a shared pot (you're free to mine more for yourself on the side) by every player and then the winner(s) get the money in the end.

All you need is some slightly modified pool software and a way to influence matchmaking and get results (though this could even exist completely out of the game - however there are problems in determining winners then).

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Yuusha

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 11:24:55 AM

I'm getting an "The specified key does not exist." error when I try to download Spirits for PC. Eufloria worked fine.
ffssixtynine (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 11:53:36 AM

Edit: Please refresh the download page. Should be fixed. Thought you meant Steam at first.

Let me know.
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 12:19:23 PM

That's awesome! Great work guys, will order later today!

By the way, good thing you're supporting the EFF, but since you're receiving money (and presumably also passing on EFF's share) in bitcoins, perhaps it's a good idea to hold your EFF donations until they actually accept BTC themselves?

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
Yuusha

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 12:21:02 PM

Edit: Please refresh the download page. Should be fixed. Thought you meant Steam at first.

Let me know.
Works fine now, thank you!
ffssixtynine (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 12:28:33 PM

That's awesome! Great work guys, will order later today!

By the way, good thing you're supporting the EFF, but since you're receiving money (and presumably also passing on EFF's share) in bitcoins, perhaps it's a good idea to hold your EFF donations until they actually accept BTC themselves?

Now that's a hot topic for me as I haven't yet decided what to do. On the one hand, I want to donate, on the other hand, I want to donate in Bitcoins!
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 12:31:30 PM

Are you interested in a custom payments backend that also lets the user specify which % goes to the developers, which % goes the which charity? As well as with all payments processing done with your backend, so no fees if Coinbase charges you fees.
tulkos

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 12:35:25 PM

Happy to pay 0.5 btc and I already have World Of Goo!
Looking forward to future bundles  Grin

ffssixtynine (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 01:39:18 PM

Are you interested in a custom payments backend that also lets the user specify which % goes to the developers, which % goes the which charity? As well as with all payments processing done with your backend, so no fees if Coinbase charges you fees.

We've got a custom back-end but we didn't implement that far.

We elected to use Coinbase this time around but so far issues relating to the lack of limitations are what seem to be cropping up. For example, we have a number of 'dust' payments, and even have a 0 transaction. I have an issue or two with the UI as well, but it does the job and is offering US users the chance to buy BTC too.

I'd quite like to do another bundle or two now we've got this far. The mainstream bundles will make money, we'll only make small change, but it'll help creatives get used to Bitcoin.

FYI Coinbase does not charge fees unless you convert currency.

Tolkos: Thanks!
Kikkerdril

Activity: 67

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 10:14:19 PM

I would love to higher my contribution for Android versions of Euphloria and Spirits. Thanks anyways for this great initiative!
ffssixtynine (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 10:32:05 PM

Make an extra Bitcoin donation  Roll Eyes
randomguy7

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 10:44:10 PM

No offence but how do we know you actually are who you say you are? The domain info is anonymized and the ssl certificate is domain validated only (which is fine to protect the data transmission but it doesn't tell anything about who you are).

edit: can you upload some hidden file on one of the official sites like worldofgoo.com as proof?
MegaBrutal

Activity: 60

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 11:35:13 PM

Men, a dream came true!

What are the two most awesome things in the world? Indie games and Bitcoins! And what's even more awesome? The two combined! Cheesy \o/ I also thought about something like this before, but I don't have any games to sell.

On the top of that, I wanted to get World of Goo for almost 2 months, and now I got it in a bundle which I paid for with Bitcoins! \o/

I'd like to tell you that I'm a HUGE fan of indie games, I believe in the indie game scene. I'm an indie game dev wannabe myself, though I need A LOT of practice to achieve that.

Though I haven't heard of the other games bundled (until now), but about World of Goo particularly, I know it's started as an experimental game at experimentalgameplay.com - that is the context when I first read of it - then later I encountered its soundtrack (Best of Times) and I knew I want the game! Smiley This game is awesome and actually exceeds my expectations. With this game, 2D Boy serves a really good example of how to come up with an experimental game and then take it to something more! Wink And that they support Bitcoin is extraordinarily awesome!

(Please relay my message to 2D Boy! Smiley)

\o/ Hurray indie games! Hurray Bitcoin! \o/

BTC: 18nAftZTnH4LjY9fPPow1aF5tGD1JiF7ZH
LTC: LV9MiA3iPVUm8qRFYbLkARuoYwvmHwhWaC

Buy some Negro candies!
ffssixtynine (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 11:39:12 PM

No offence but how do we know you actually are who you say you are? The domain info is anonymized and the ssl certificate is domain validated only (which is fine to protect the data transmission but it doesn't tell anything about who you are).

edit: can you upload some hidden file on one of the official sites like worldofgoo.com as proof?

Check the Eufloria blog or e.g. Ron Carmel's Twitter (World of Goo) http://www.twitter.com/roncarmel
Also on Gamasutra and various Bitcoin sites.

MegaBrutal: Passed your post on to Ron & Kyle Smiley
randomguy7

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 11:54:41 PM

Thx for the link. You know, better safe than sorry (especially with the amount of scammers around here).
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: