Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:47:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Completely new Hardware, no booting?  (Read 2345 times)
jdebunt (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 10:54:22 AM

Hello people,

i've also decided to build a new rig for mining purposes (altcoin mostly).

I've purchased the following hardware (brand new) :

- Mobo : Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
- Memory : Kingston HyperX Blu 4 GB DIMM DDR3-1600
- CPU : AMD Athlon II X4 640 (using the standard cooler, but got a spare one, same results)
- Vid card : Sapphire ATI HD 7970 Dual-X 3 GB
- PSU : Be quiet! Pure Power CM BQT L8-CM-630W  

HDD is a disk cannibalized from a previous comp with win XP, this disk works fine & has been tested.

So, after connecting everything as follows :

PSU : 20 + 4 pin to Mobo for power , 2x4 pin for CPU usage, those are connected properly (even plugged out, reconnected several times), they seem to be working.
        6 pin PCI-E connector to the Sapphire card, this works fine too, fans are spinning.

CPU fan plugged in to the cpu_fan socket on the mobo, fan is spinning

connection from PSU to HDD through the regular cable + cable from HDD to mobo (not sure what type this is called? it's small & flat)

NO cd drive installed because i just wanted to see if everything worked before adding another component.

Now the issue i have is :

- PSU starts spinning fine
- CPU fan starts spinning fine
- Sapphire card fans spin fine
- HDD powers up and i can hear it processing data

=> Mobo does NOT make any sound (no beeping at all, even with speakers, nothing happens)
==> Monitor remains on "no input signal detected", tried this with the HDMI cable from vid card to monitor, the DVI converter plug to VGA to monitor, even different monitors, different cables, absolutely no response.

So first i thought it may be the old case im using, perhaps one of the old mobo pin slots is pushing against a part of my new mobo. Nope, everything works fine, even without the case on a flat surface, same results.

Then i thought, maybe it's the new PSU? So i tried my OLD PSU, nope, same results.

I've been on this for 7 hours now, if anyone has ANY idea, i'll gladly hear it...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
teston25

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 11:04:42 AM

My guess is have you properly installed the mobo? I mean not a single plug under the mobo missed? The one to avoid the contact between the mobo and the case.

Usualy when an hardware part is compromised or wrongly pluged, the mobo make some kind of error signal sounds, none in your case, you maybe b0rked the mobo.

If every part are working after being tested, the problem come prolly from the mobo.

Can you make your hand on any motherboard digital tester? From friend, comp shop ..
jdebunt (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 11:18:56 AM

My guess is have you properly installed the mobo? I mean not a single plug under the mobo missed? The one to avoid the contact between the mobo and the case.

Usualy when an hardware part is compromised or wrongly pluged, the mobo make some kind of error signal sounds, none in your case, you maybe b0rked the mobo.

If every part are working after being tested, the problem come prolly from the mobo.

Can you make your hand on any motherboard digital tester? From friend, comp shop ..

Double checked that today, all plugs are screwed in, there are 9 plug holes & 9 plugso n the mobo, nothing left over i'm afraid Smiley

I can try to get a hardware tester, but i find it odd it would be the mobo....though it isnt recognizing my new card or my old card it seems, so it must be something with the mobo or one of the connections....
sLide.

Activity: 170
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 01:30:49 PM

Hello people,

- CPU : AMD Athlon II X4 640 (using the standard cooler, but got a spare one, same results)

HDD is a disk cannibalized from a previous comp with win XP, this disk works fine & has been tested.

PSU : 20 + 4 pin to Mobo for power , 2x4 pin for CPU usage, those are connected properly (even plugged out, reconnected several times), they seem to be working.
        6 pin PCI-E connector to the Sapphire card, this works fine too, fans are spinning.

connection from PSU to HDD through the regular cable + cable from HDD to mobo (not sure what type this is called? it's small & flat)

NO cd drive installed because i just wanted to see if everything worked before adding another component.

=> Mobo does NOT make any sound (no beeping at all, even with speakers, nothing happens)
==> Monitor remains on "no input signal detected", tried this with the HDMI cable from vid card to monitor, the DVI converter plug to VGA to monitor, even different monitors, different cables, absolutely no response.

So first i thought it may be the old case im using, perhaps one of the old mobo pin slots is pushing against a part of my new mobo. Nope, everything works fine, even without the case on a flat surface, same results.

Then i thought, maybe it's the new PSU? So i tried my OLD PSU, nope, same results.

I've been on this for 7 hours now, if anyone has ANY idea, i'll gladly hear it...

Unless you thought this was to trivial to add, you didn't reinstall the old Windows XP OS from the previous machine.  The OS needs to be reinstalled for the new hardware. 

Aim - Slide.0
1J6UeiXtBYXmpA6uajRs3aJpUD1Tsj1CF3 - Tips?
jdebunt (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 01:33:24 PM

Well to make sure that wasn't the issue, i hooked up a  brand new HDD, without OS, and a DVD-drive with Ubuntu Distro in it for installation, didn't get me anywhere ...

Did some additional testing by hooking up both a keyboard & mouse to see if they get their usual response from booting up...nothing at all.

Guess it's a DOA mobo...
JStock7169

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 01:56:47 PM

Sounds like you have done a lot of troubleshooting already..

but I would reseat the CPU, Reseat the GPU, I would pull all the wires off the motherboard such as speaker, HDD light, reset.. everything except power on.

Then see if you get anywhere..

jdebunt (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 03:07:38 PM

but I would reseat the CPU, Reseat the GPU, I would pull all the wires off the motherboard such as speaker, HDD light, reset.. everything except power on.

thanks for the advice Smiley didn't give any results unfortunately.

I've arranged with the shop to have it sent back & replaced, it's a free return anyway, so it's ok, was hoping to get a rig up before the weekend (& monday is a holiday here) but i guess i'm out of luck Smiley
deadweasel

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:09:10 PM

thanks for the advice Smiley didn't give any results unfortunately.

I've arranged with the shop to have it sent back & replaced, it's a free return anyway, so it's ok, was hoping to get a rig up before the weekend (& monday is a holiday here) but i guess i'm out of luck Smiley

Yeah, if you reseat everything, verify power cables are all connected, and nothing happens, send it back. 

May want to try pulling the power cable and holding the power button down for 15 seconds.  Probably won't help here though.

zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 03:41:06 PM

can it run that cpu?  some of these boards need bios updates first

i had to use some old sempron to update bios on one of my boards to run an AM3 (or i guess that's AM3+?)

well, could try taking out the cmos battery for a bit anyway
jdebunt (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 08:52:42 AM

can it run that cpu?  some of these boards need bios updates first

i had to use some old sempron to update bios on one of my boards to run an AM3 (or i guess that's AM3+?)

well, could try taking out the cmos battery for a bit anyway

that was one of my concerns aswell, the BIOS issue.

So i sent the mobo back to the shop, and told them it could be a BIOS issue aswell.

i didn't have a spare sempron around & wasn't planning on forking out more cash for a CPU at this time,so i asked them to see if it could be a bios issue & update it if needed.

Because monday is a holiday here, i'll have to wait till atleast next wednesday to get it back, that does suck ... Smiley
ISAWHIM

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 09:20:44 AM

Windows XP can not use a 7970... (The 1.5GB version from walmart MIGHT work, with PCIe 2.1 slot.)

XP is limited to 4GB of ram.

1.2GB minimum is windows allocated. +3GB from the card = ERROR, OUT OF MEMORY ALLOCATION. (Only 64-bit server-edition of XP can allocate up to 128GB???) Windows assigns "Video ram first", then "system ram" with what is left-over. Which is less than the minimum the OS requires to start, of 1.2GB. (32-bits = only enough memory allocation for 4GB of ram-addresses.)

Not to mention the card is 3.0 PCIe, which windows can also NOT address. (Not the 32-bit version, not sure if server edition would have working drivers.)

Not sure if that mobo has PCIe 3.0 or 2.1... but 2.0 will not POST with a 3.0 or 2.1 card in the slot.

Just some things to think about down the line... You will need "Vista" minimum... 64-bit, for the >4GB ram limit.
jdebunt (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 09:14:14 PM

Windows XP can not use a 7970... (The 1.5GB version from walmart MIGHT work, with PCIe 2.1 slot.)

XP is limited to 4GB of ram.

1.2GB minimum is windows allocated. +3GB from the card = ERROR, OUT OF MEMORY ALLOCATION. (Only 64-bit server-edition of XP can allocate up to 128GB???) Windows assigns "Video ram first", then "system ram" with what is left-over. Which is less than the minimum the OS requires to start, of 1.2GB. (32-bits = only enough memory allocation for 4GB of ram-addresses.)

Not to mention the card is 3.0 PCIe, which windows can also NOT address. (Not the 32-bit version, not sure if server edition would have working drivers.)

Not sure if that mobo has PCIe 3.0 or 2.1... but 2.0 will not POST with a 3.0 or 2.1 card in the slot.

Just some things to think about down the line... You will need "Vista" minimum... 64-bit, for the >4GB ram limit.

Well this was very insightful Smiley perhaps i should've done research on possible OS issues, it just never crossed my mind it could be a problem....gah i'm stupid Smiley But even with a geforce 8500GT (which has nearly no memory on it) there was no booting, so something was wrong with the mobo anyway

But even with a memory issue, the mobo is supposed to send a "beep" regardless, no? Cuz it didn't do that at all.....

The mobo should have PCIe3.0 Smiley  so that shouldn't cause problems Smiley

Getting a copy of Vista as we speak to avoid any possible future issues....Your advice is very much appreciated Smiley
wblabla4

Activity: 37

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 10:43:46 PM

I have that exact same mobo running with a phenom ii x6 1100t right now, and it's mining awesomely with 2 5670s for 300mh/s. You only need a BIOS update if you plug in a AM3+ CPU.
teston25

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 10:04:09 AM

Still not solved :/

But even with a memory issue, the mobo is supposed to send a "beep" regardless, no? Cuz it didn't do that at all.....

As far i know, most of the hardware issue, about those composite such as ram, graphic card etc, if any problem with those, ye the mobo should send a "beep".

Has some pc issue years ago, whats ever the probleme was from, if the mobo was in good standing, we should got a sign, if none sign at all, i would rather say something wrong with the mobo.
Thats from my experience, i'm not a computer tech, just saying.

Good luck op, hope you can solve this issue asap.

Edit:

If windows cannot handle this graphic card, get in the BIOS and use the standard one from the mobo or use linux.
jdebunt (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 10:59:14 AM

Still not solved :/

As far i know, most of the hardware issue, about those composite such as ram, graphic card etc, if any problem with those, ye the mobo should send a "beep".

Has some pc issue years ago, whats ever the probleme was from, if the mobo was in good standing, we should got a sign, if none sign at all, i would rather say something wrong with the mobo.
Thats from my experience, i'm not a computer tech, just saying.

Good luck op, hope you can solve this issue asap.

Edit:

If windows cannot handle this graphic card, get in the BIOS and use the standard one from the mobo or use linux.

Well i'm just waiting for the shop to flash a new BIOS & send it back, but today is a holiday so i'm not expecting it back before wednesday at the earliest Smiley

@wblabla4 : it was an AM3+ CPU which i ordered with the board, the shop said they would be compatible without any software flashing needed. Well, i guess they were wrong Smiley
madkind

Activity: 42

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 12:51:21 PM

Tthe "no input signal detected" message should disappear as soon as you connect the cable to the pc afaik, even if the pc is not switched on.
jdebunt (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 06:33:33 PM

Tthe "no input signal detected" message should disappear as soon as you connect the cable to the pc afaik, even if the pc is not switched on.

I did get the no input signal detected, but that's about it. Then again, it gives that message anyway on my monitors Smiley

the issue was the motherboard not responding nor giving any output, post or beeps.
jdebunt (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 08:08:20 AM

Alright i got the motherboard back, they didn't want to flash the BIOS because "that would void the warranty and we cannot take responsibility".

Basically it means i've sent it back last friday, received it back today & absolutely nothing changed. Right...

Good thing i have an older CPU on the way which should work fine, so i can flash the BIOS myself.

Talk about some drama...
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 08:14:50 AM

Alright i got the motherboard back, they didn't want to flash the BIOS because "that would void the warranty and we cannot take responsibility".

That's horse shit.  Flashing the BIOS does not in any way void the warranty.  Send them the motherboard back, demand a refund (not fit for purpose), and buy another one from someone that has a clue.
KS

Activity: 448

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 08:20:14 PM

Hello people,

Only one 6 pin PCI-E connector connected to the Sapphire? From their website, the 7970 Dual-X requires 1x 6pin + 1x 8 pin PCI-E.

Other possibility is CPU, I don't think it looks like a dead BIOS. I'd start with the VGA card though.

jdebunt (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2013, 07:12:22 AM

Hello people,

Only one 6 pin PCI-E connector connected to the Sapphire? From their website, the 7970 Dual-X requires 1x 6pin + 1x 8 pin PCI-E.

Other possibility is CPU, I don't think it looks like a dead BIOS. I'd start with the VGA card though.

I tried connecting one and both, no response.

So i tried with my old Nvidia card (GTX8500), gives no response either.

Today i received a new CPU, which is supported by the mobo 100%, no response.

I'm at a complete loss here atm :s
Rakessh

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 09:28:31 AM

Can't flash bios if it won't even boot off a live cd.

The mobo sounds bricked or dead tbh. I'm really surprised they sent the *same* motherboard back to you without testing it first, or does testing the motherboard also break warranty? ;P

-
jdebunt (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2013, 09:45:36 AM

Can't flash bios if it won't even boot off a live cd.

The mobo sounds bricked or dead tbh. I'm really surprised they sent the *same* motherboard back to you without testing it first, or does testing the motherboard also break warranty? ;P

they didn't want to test it because "there are signs of excessive usage".

There are no scratches, no dents, it's been installed, put in the case, pulled out of the case after removing screws & then put in the box to return.

CPU clicks fine in the slot, all fans still working, yet no booting...guess i'll buy a new mobo then...again Smiley
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 02:26:51 PM

I've gotten black screen of death (no post) from a bad CPU, and bad motherboard in 2 separate scenarios. Incompatible/bad memory can cause no post as well as is the case with my old G41 motherboard; It won't post with high density memory, but works just fine with lower density. Just process of elimination. Switch the CPU, switch the RAM, then switch the board. If nothing works, then don't know what to say. YOu have bad luck.

jdebunt (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2013, 07:36:43 PM

I've gotten black screen of death (no post) from a bad CPU, and bad motherboard in 2 separate scenarios. Incompatible/bad memory can cause no post as well as is the case with my old G41 motherboard; It won't post with high density memory, but works just fine with lower density. Just process of elimination. Switch the CPU, switch the RAM, then switch the board. If nothing works, then don't know what to say. YOu have bad luck.

good thing i had some stuff coming in today Smiley

Tried a new CPU , no result (cpu works fine in other comp)

tried different ram, no result either (ram works fine in other comp)

The new mobo is on it's way from Amazon & should get here tuesday, so i'll keep you guys updated Smiley
Lacan82

Activity: 247

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 08:05:28 PM

good thing i had some stuff coming in today Smiley

Tried a new CPU , no result (cpu works fine in other comp)

tried different ram, no result either (ram works fine in other comp)

The new mobo is on it's way from Amazon & should get here tuesday, so i'll keep you guys updated Smiley

You've connect the 4 PIN power connect on the MOBO near the CPU? If so, then try setting the BIOS on the MOBO. it will be in the manual on how to reset it on the MOBO itself

KS

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 07:56:07 AM

meh...

basic checks then:

RAM: 2 DIMMS in the *white* slots (DIMM1 and DIMM2)? compatible & know working? (in doubt, i always go for Kingston, they have the best validation/compatibility)
Clear CMOS jumper is open (i.e. nothing is connecting the two pins)?
Front panel header connected properly (reset/power switches)?

disconnect everything not needed. (drives, extra fans, whatnot)

do you have a PCI VGA lying somewhere?
jdebunt (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2013, 10:17:54 AM

meh...

basic checks then:

RAM: 2 DIMMS in the *white* slots (DIMM1 and DIMM2)? compatible & know working? (in doubt, i always go for Kingston, they have the best validation/compatibility)

Ram : correct slots, it's Kingston memory , works fine Smiley
Cleared CMOS : several times, no response :)nothign is connecting the two pins indeed.

Front panel is connected properly, powers on with the power button, resets with the reset button.

Connected devices : HDD, graphics card.

Tried a PCI VGA, no response.
KS

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 11:17:16 AM

meh...

basic checks then:

Cleared CMOS : several times, no response :)nothign is connecting the two pins indeed.

Front panel is connected properly, powers on with the power button, resets with the reset button.

Tried without the HDD? Had a few boards in the past that had issues with some SATA HDDs - they would post though but then get stuck. 1/10⁶ chance.

I guess you'll just have to RMA this board if the new board works fine with the CPU/RAM whatnot from the current, non-working configuration.

Just had a head scratcher while building a new LTC miner. Everything was OK, I turn if off to install Linux then...nothing. Not even fans. I thought it was a BIOS issue at the time.

Apparently, the mobo got "stuck" because of one VGA card's fan that was blocked at some (unknown) point (high speed fans sucked the VGA sitting next to it until they got stuck) - Had to disconnect everything, PSU, VGA, etc, and start off of the onboard VGA. Now everything is fine.... "stuck" VGA too...
jdebunt (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2013, 11:51:05 AM

meh...

basic checks then:

Tried without the HDD? Had a few boards in the past that had issues with some SATA HDDs - they would post though but then get stuck. 1/10⁶ chance.

I guess you'll just have to RMA this board if the new board works fine with the CPU/RAM whatnot from the current, non-working configuration.

Just had a head scratcher while building a new LTC miner. Everything was OK, I turn if off to install Linux then...nothing. Not even fans. I thought it was a BIOS issue at the time.

Apparently, the mobo got "stuck" because of one VGA card's fan that was blocked at some (unknown) point (high speed fans sucked the VGA sitting next to it until they got stuck) - Had to disconnect everything, PSU, VGA, etc, and start off of the onboard VGA. Now everything is fine.... "stuck" VGA too...

Thanks for the additional advice Smiley

Removed the HDD & tried to let it boot with just the VGA card , CPU & memory : nothing.

Even changed PC Speakers to make sure it wasn't broken, still nothing.

New mobo should be here tuesday or wednesday so i hope i'm luckier with that Smiley
KS

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 10:32:05 PM

meh...

basic checks then:

Thanks for the additional advice Smiley

Removed the HDD & tried to let it boot with just the VGA card , CPU & memory : nothing.

Even changed PC Speakers to make sure it wasn't broken, still nothing.

New mobo should be here tuesday or wednesday so i hope i'm luckier with that Smiley

Yeah, the HDD was a looong shot.

Unfortunately, it looks like you bought a DOA board. You'll know for sure if the new one works. Any possibility of sending the defect one for a refund?
jdebunt (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 10:05:43 AM

Well, i have good news Smiley

THe new mobo arrived today, works like a charm, guess i'm not as stupid afterall Smiley

Thanks for everyone who supported me, this topic can be closed now Mods Smiley
KS

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:50:54 AM

Well, i have good news Smiley

THe new mobo arrived today, works like a charm, guess i'm not as stupid afterall Smiley

Thanks for everyone who supported me, this topic can be closed now Mods Smiley

Champagne! Smiley

BTW, you're the OP so you can lock it.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: