Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:04:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Block and Node.. Do they mean the same thing ???  (Read 432 times)
seyola89 (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 12:12:43 PM

I have been reading some bitcoin books and online posts and I discovered that when talking about the bitcoin blockchain, block(s) and node(s) are being used interchangeably.

Now I'm getting confused. Do they mean the same thing or are different ?? Can anybody give a non complex explanation of both. I actually understand basically what a block means but it's the Node term that confuses me..

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 12:20:33 PM

I have been reading some bitcoin books and online posts and I discovered that when talking about the bitcoin blockchain, block(s) and node(s) are being used interchangeably.

Now I'm getting confused. Do they mean the same thing or are different ?? Can anybody give a non complex explanation of both. I actually understand basically what a block means but it's the Node term that confuses me..

Thanks

When you say "node" usually it's referred to full blockchain (130gb+) and block is basically transaction data recorded in a file that is then organized into sequence called blockchain
Soundframes

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 12:26:26 PM

Node: A full node is a program that fully validates transactions and blocks. Almost all full nodes also help the network by accepting transactions and blocks from other full nodes, validating those transactions and blocks, and then relaying them to further full nodes. (bitcoin.org)

Block: Transaction data is permanently recorded in files called blocks. They can be thought of as the individual pages of a city recorder's recordbook (where changes to title to real estate are recorded) or a stock transaction ledger. Blocks are organized into a linear sequence over time (also known as the block chain). New transactions are constantly being processes by miners into new blocks which are added to the end of the chain and can never be changed or removed once accepted by the network (although some software will remove orphaned blocks). (en.bitcoin.it)

It seems you haven't been reading well enough  Tongue
FlightyPouch

Activity: 1638
Merit: 300

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 12:33:30 PM

Node: A full node is a program that fully validates transactions and blocks. Almost all full nodes also help the network by accepting transactions and blocks from other full nodes, validating those transactions and blocks, and then relaying them to further full nodes. (bitcoin.org)

Block: Transaction data is permanently recorded in files called blocks. They can be thought of as the individual pages of a city recorder's recordbook (where changes to title to real estate are recorded) or a stock transaction ledger. Blocks are organized into a linear sequence over time (also known as the block chain). New transactions are constantly being processes by miners into new blocks which are added to the end of the chain and can never be changed or removed once accepted by the network (although some software will remove orphaned blocks). (en.bitcoin.it)

It seems you haven't been reading well enough  Tongue

You can't blame someone for not reading thise article, all of the newbies do the same thing whenever they join a forum especially like this forum.

Also, you are saying that he seems to be not reading well enough, but I think you've read it well but not understand it. Copying from those sites are great but understanding them will be great.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
1xBit.com
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████     
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████   
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
!
seyola89 (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 05:13:02 PM

Okk.thanks guyz for the reply.. I actually have been reading a lot but I needed personal and less complex explanations about those terms which I think I have seen in the replies..
seyola89 (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 05:16:05 PM

So does it mean that we can actually have many or multiple nodes (or many full nodes) in the Blockchain and one node can help the other to validate transactions in the blocks that are in it??
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4442

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 05:25:13 PM
Last edit: August 06, 2017, 07:48:43 PM by franky1

block= clump of data collated and organised in a certain way
node=software that checks the data and checks its in a certain way and meets all the rules

there are many different 'brands' of nodes and also different tiers of functionality of nodes.

pool nodes collate the data create a hash and send the hash to asics machines which work to find a special solution to confirm the block(of data) is double secured.

full user nodes. are software the general users can have to validate unconfirmed transactions as they move around the network and also validate the confirmation hash and the block data. aswell as storing all the blocks of data(analogy: torrent seed) that are linked together all the way back to the first block(genesis block) so that other nodes can sync(analogy torrent leacher) their nodes and have the data too

spv nodes. are lite wallets that do not do all the full validation stuff nor store the full blockchain. but they just allow people to make transactions to spend their funds.

there are a few brands of both full user nodes and lite user nodes. and although some people think there should only be one brand that can run, and those people try hard to pressure their centralist beliefs.. the truth is there are many brands of nodes chaining bitcoin blockchain data. and there should continue to be many brands to diversify(part of decentralise) the network

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 09:02:47 PM

So does it mean that we can actually have many or multiple nodes (or many full nodes) in the Blockchain and one node can help the other to validate transactions in the blocks that are in it??

In the context you mention node, it's not used for validating transactions. Nodes are used for creating raw transactions, sending them to the network, signing, verifying etc.. Miners verify transactions and usually pools run nodes for them
seyola89 (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 05:30:20 AM

Okk guyz thanks for the replies again. I think I understand a little more now. All I have to do now is keep reading and assimilating the replies everyday till I understand it fully.  Angry Angry

Mhenn how I wish things like this could be very easy as ABC  Smiley Wink
Well its true that nothing good comes easy ??
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: