Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:13:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Nobrand / chinese PSU  (Read 1016 times)
hanskan (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 03:39:44 AM

All of my rigs are currently running on gold/platinum Corsair PSU-s, but the price of those is insane compared to something like these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Power-Supply-For-6GPU-Eth-Rig-Ethereum-Coin-Mining-Miner-Dedicated-S4W-/152627571996?var=&epid=28004846329&hash=item23894fed1c:m:mIWVn2t3UKVNhUI5igIJwOQ

I was wondering if any of you are using something similar and give me feedback ? First and foremost I am worried about safety.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
P00P135

Activity: 1123
Merit: 136

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 03:55:09 AM

All of my rigs are currently running on gold/platinum Corsair PSU-s, but the price of those is insane compared to something like these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Power-Supply-For-6GPU-Eth-Rig-Ethereum-Coin-Mining-Miner-Dedicated-S4W-/152627571996?var=&epid=28004846329&hash=item23894fed1c:m:mIWVn2t3UKVNhUI5igIJwOQ

I was wondering if any of you are using something similar and give me feedback ? First and foremost I am worried about safety.

You want to be able to sleep well at night? Never skimp on power supplies, cables, adapters, or splitters.
panda2k_Storm

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 05:03:49 AM

If you buy low quality cables, risers or psu's there is a high chance you could ruin all of your hardware which will probably set you back 1500$ or more depending on what GPUs you have. Corsair is a great brand and I recommend you stick to it.
pigfrown

Activity: 47
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 07:16:27 AM

If you want to save money on a PSU but still get reasonable quality buy a server PSU.

They are designed for being left on 24/7 and you can get some 2k ones with plenty of amps available on the 12v rail.

The downside is that you may need a breakout board/to manually wire up PCIe connectors, and they are LOUD.

Bitrated user: pigfrown.
hanskan (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 10:23:51 AM

If you want to save money on a PSU but still get reasonable quality buy a server PSU.

They are designed for being left on 24/7 and you can get some 2k ones with plenty of amps available on the 12v rail.

The downside is that you may need a breakout board/to manually wire up PCIe connectors, and they are LOUD.

can you give me a link on ebay for decent one please ?
Don't care about the noise since i have built a special room for rigs in my garage.
64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 11:16:36 AM
Last edit: August 07, 2017, 11:36:50 AM by 64dimensions

The expensive high quality power supplies are that way for a reason. They use better and more expensive components.

The above posters concerns that this PSU is saving money on cables are spot on. If you are an overclocker or sloppy in setting up the clocks on your GPUs, I would definitely not get this PSU.

There appear to be a couple of significant omissions from this ebay ersatz PSU:

1) The high quality PSU's always brag about using Japanese electrolytic capacitors to the level of specifying the brand. There is a reason for this.  Japanese electrolytics are known for their quality. For example EVGA, brags about using solid state Nippon Chemi-con electrolytics. I don't know what type that they use, but this brand of capacitor can operate up to 105C.

2) Most respectable PSU's spec an operating temperature, which I don't see on the ersatz PSU listing.

3) Warranty. In the states, your Corsair's are guaranteed for 10 years.

There are two situation's I would consider using this PSU:

a) As a spare to be temporarily deployed in case an existing lower wattage PSU is being repaired or the replacement is on order.

b) I live close to the arctic circle and the ambient temp of my miners never went above 30C.
lanciaominer

Activity: 46

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 11:56:12 AM

if i did not see incorrectly i'm quite "AMAZED" with the 90plus certification. i wonder what it does  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
jedigeiss

Activity: 36

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 12:25:04 PM

I also thought about buying cheaper because they are really asking a high price for the PSU s ..
But I will stick to quality..
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 01:01:16 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2017, 02:20:58 PM by Vann

The PSU is the most important component in a mining rig, stick with dual conversion, single rail PSU's from proven name brands like EVGA or Corsair 80+ gold rated or higher. If the PSU fails, at best your whole rig is down and in the worse case it could damage equipment or start a fire. No brand electronics from China are known to cut corners by using second grade components purchased on the black market that don't pass QC of name brand products.

Reputable PSU brands use quality, first-tier components and pay for the 80+ rating certification, which is why they cost more. Slapping a fake certification on a cheap no-name PSU SCREAMS scam, trying to fool people that don't know better. I wouldn't trust that PSU to power a raspberry PI, much less a mining rig. If you can't afford to buy a quality PSU that covers the power requirements of your rig, you can save some money by using two smaller PSU's or a server PSU without risking potentially damaging your investment or burning down your house.
Glory90

Activity: 392
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 01:55:25 PM

i prefer to buy a PSU that has been recommended by many miners, and has a good review of the miners.
although price is expensive, most important is the quality.
actually the price of PSU is quite reasonable, more worrying is current VGA price

▰▰▰   Ex-Bounty Hunter   ▰▰▰
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 04:06:50 PM

There is no such thing as a "90 Plus" specification, as shown in one of the pictures on this power supply.

I wouldn't trust it as far as I can throw MARS.

If someone GAVE me that PS I'd probably toss it in the trash - might consider stripping out usable parts first like the fan and some of the screws.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
hanskan (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 10:19:01 PM

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question. Will stick to corsair.
Ultegra134

Activity: 1540
Merit: 740

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 02:35:31 AM

As the other's have said, don't even think about using a cheap PSU. You might save $50-60 or more bucks by buying a cheap one and then ending up with a burnt motherboard, GPUs or even your whole PC. I had an generic branded Powertech on my Desktop, had zero surge protection and the internals were cheaply made. The result? It's probably at fault for the burnt motherboard, tested another PSU and didn't turn on.
Stick to the major brands, Corsair, Thermaltake and so on. I've bought a Corsair VS650 and I'm perfectly satisfied.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
bmartin44

Activity: 85

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 05:41:15 AM

I also was figuring my third GPU powering issue. I'm currently using corsair 650w for 2 cards, if I were to add my third card (forth and fifth in future), I have to change PSU to larger wattage, but expensive. Or I saw a solution to use 2 PSU with add2psu. Anyone used add2psu before, is it stable and safe? Thanks!

Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 05:51:57 AM

I also was figuring my third GPU powering issue. I'm currently using corsair 650w for 2 cards, if I were to add my third card (forth and fifth in future), I have to change PSU to larger wattage, but expensive. Or I saw a solution to use 2 PSU with add2psu. Anyone used add2psu before, is it stable and safe? Thanks!

Add2psu is just a reed relay that connects the power and ground on the PSU's in series so that they will start and shutoff together. They work fine. When using a dual or more PSU setup, it's best to use the same brand and type of PSU's. I also use a single PSU to power the motherboard risers and all the accessories and the larger PSU to power the VGA power only. That is the recommended way to avoid ground loops from mixing diffrent voltages and grounds to devices connected to the motherboard.
hanskan (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 06:56:33 AM

yea, i have quite a few of those, they work just fine.
sundownz

Activity: 714
Merit: 512

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2017, 12:29:49 PM

I have been using nothing but Rosewill for the last 4 years.

Dollar to performance they are really hard to beat in my experience -- also they have great RMA service.

Not sure if you can get them where you live with reasonable SH... but I have owned 40+ of their PSUs and really like them.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Nebell

Activity: 406
Merit: 104

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 01:18:26 PM

The problem with Chinese stuff is that it's either hit or miss. They lack quality control. Corsair, Seasonic, etc, they are brands who care about their name. No name = no one cares Grin
But sure you can get lucky and get something really good.
I'd say skip it, it's too risky and you don't want to burn down your place.

BitcoinZ - community driven, no premine, no dev-tax, developers always welcome
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3086664
https://btcz.rocks/
bmartin44

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 12:41:11 AM

Add2psu is just a reed relay that connects the power and ground on the PSU's in series so that they will start and shutoff together. They work fine. When using a dual or more PSU setup, it's best to use the same brand and type of PSU's. I also use a single PSU to power the motherboard risers and all the accessories and the larger PSU to power the VGA power only. That is the recommended way to avoid ground loops from mixing diffrent voltages and grounds to devices connected to the motherboard.

Thanks for your info. So, your PSU that connected to motherboard connect all the usb risers?

bmartin44

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 12:49:12 AM

yea, i have quite a few of those, they work just fine.

Good to know, but any safety connection issue that I must taking care to?

Like Vann did, PSU that powering the motherboard connected to all usb risers? Or PSU that powering particular GPU connected to the GPU's riser?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: