Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:36:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: advice: extracting Bitcoin Cash safely  (Read 570 times)
metalbean (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 103

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 10:27:34 AM

Hi guys,

Due to the continue unconfirmed identity of "Jonald Fyookball", which Electrum calls a "fake name". There is also no way to confirm the authenticity of compiled Electron Cash client even though it is a fork from the original Electrum.

So I am taking the steps below:

1. Move bitcoins in Electrum to my new Trezor. [1]
2. Wait until funds are confirmed in the Trezor wallet.
3. Enter the seed/key of now empty old wallet in Electrum in Electron Cash. [2]

[1] Can someone confirm this will move only BTC, and not BCC, since the BCC blockchain has replay protection.

[2] Since the BTC have been moved to a new wallet, entering an old seed in Electron Cash will not put your BTC funds at risk, right?

Please advice.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinHodler

Activity: 1456
Merit: 578

HODLing is an art, not just a word...

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 10:33:10 AM

[1] Can someone confirm this will move only BTC, and not BCC, since the BCC blockchain has replay protection.
i can confirm it. BCC has replay protection and so far i have not heard any news of someone saying it went wrong.

[2] Since the BTC have been moved to a new wallet, entering an old seed in Electron Cash will not put your BTC funds at risk, right?
this is correct.
although i would like to add a couple of things:
try installing Electron cash on a new computer (use a live linux or even a virtual machine) because it uses the same directories and imports all your wallets into its own directory and may mess things up.

also remember that if you wanted to come back to "electrum" with your bitcoins, make sure to make a new wallet with a new seed. don't use the old one anymore.

Holding Bitcoin More Every Day
Hatcher

Activity: 369
Merit: 111

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 06:07:40 PM

i can confirm it. BCC has replay protection and so far i have not heard any news of someone saying it went wrong.

this is correct.
try installing Electron cash on a new computer (use a live linux or even a virtual machine) because it uses the same directories and imports all your wallets into its own directory and may mess things up.

also remember that if you wanted to come back to "electrum" with your bitcoins, make sure to make a new wallet with a new seed. don't use the old one anymore.

Yes, I know I can make my bitcoins safe from following these steps, but Electron Cash could just straight up steal my Bitcoin Cash which would also be very undesirable.

Has anyone actually used Electron Cash to send their BCH with no problems?
metalbean (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 05:07:14 AM

this is correct.

Thanks, that's useful

The second advice about "creating a new seed when you use a new wallet" in electrum. I gather that's because you need to input the old seed (from Electrum) when you do a claim in Electron Cash?
metalbean (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 05:09:11 AM

this is correct.

Yes, I know I can make my bitcoins safe from following these steps, but Electron Cash could just straight up steal my Bitcoin Cash which would also be very undesirable.

Has anyone actually used Electron Cash to send their BCH with no problems?

So far there isn't any major issues (or issues at all), but the anonymity of Electron Cash is not very convincing.

Is it possible for us to claim with Electron Cash, and then transfer the new Bitcoin Cash to an exchange (to sell it maybe) or even just keep it in a reputable exchange for now (for now, I trust exchange more than the unknown Electron Cash). That way we would be totally safe from any problem with Electron Cash client, right?
KenR

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

「きみはこれ&#

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 05:14:34 AM

Due to the continue unconfirmed identity of "Jonald Fyookball", which Electrum calls a "fake name". 

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=261027

You can avoid the entire Electron Cash wallet drama and  use one of the other online wallets to extract your BCC.I have done the same using Coinomi Android Client after emptying the wallets.Takes hardly 10 minutes.

████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
  ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
  .WEBSITE.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  .ANN THREAD.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
metalbean (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 05:20:29 AM

Due to the continue unconfirmed identity of "Jonald Fyookball", which Electrum calls a "fake name".  

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=261027

You can avoid the entire Electron Cash wallet drama and  use one of the other online wallets to extract your BCC.I have done the same using Coinomi Android Client after emptying the wallets.Takes hardly 10 minutes.

Thanks man, while I love Google I am not a strong believer of Android when it comes to privacy and safety, too much permission can be invoke by the apps. Coinomi looks pretty neat though, wonder when iOS version will be out.
KenR

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

「きみはこれ&#

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 07:50:00 AM

Thanks man, while I love Google I am not a strong believer of Android when it comes to privacy and safety, too much permission can be invoke by the apps. Coinomi looks pretty neat though, wonder when iOS version will be out.
Me too but I wanted to send the coins to an exchange to rid off it asap so I used a friend's Android,Ios user here.Coinomi looks safe since they have stuff professionally organized on their website.Although I used it,I didn't keep my coins for more than a few hours.Once confirmed,I moved to Bittrex.If you look at it,it depends on what you wish to do with your coins.

████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
  ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
  .WEBSITE.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  .ANN THREAD.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
metalbean (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 08:37:50 AM

Me too but I wanted to send the coins to an exchange to rid off it asap so I used a friend's Android,Ios user here.Coinomi looks safe since they have stuff professionally organized on their website.Although I used it,I didn't keep my coins for more than a few hours.Once confirmed,I moved to Bittrex.If you look at it,it depends on what you wish to do with your coins.

I know I have an android phone lying around somewhere, maybe under the bed Wink

Thanks again.
metalbean (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 03:54:18 AM

Hi ppl,

I am a paranoid please bear with me Smiley

I am planing to use Coinomi for the extract since it's on an entire new machine (handphone rather) which I did a clean factory resets.

1. Transfer my coins from Electrum to Trezor.
2. Look for private keys of used address in "Addresses > Change > Used"
3. Use "sweep wallet" options in Coinomi and input the private keys from Electrum
4. Wait for new BCC to appear

Sounds right guys and girls?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: