Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:24:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Company Acquisition of an AltCoin/Token  (Read 299 times)
blablablabla_ (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 03:18:41 PM

Hi all,

Long time lurker, not long poster.

Has anyone thought of the possibility of a big (or small I guess) company such as, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Dropbox etc, coming along and they just have to have the coin/token to implement into their business or stop a rival getting hold of it etc. They want it all and they love that it's in use and well adopted.

They buy out the owners or company, maybe Sia for storage as Dropbox want it etc, where does that leave the coin/token? Do we remain stakeholders? Does the price just go up/or down depending on how well it goes in the crypto world? Do we get a share of the new business?

I guess it's where traditional shares and crypto/blockchain together.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into it, but it could happen, couldn't it??

Thanks all.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
faimloup

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 04:01:36 PM

Stratis was built to play nice with Microsoft technologies, not too great a leap to see them make a strategic investment.

tavogi.com

Activity: 54

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 04:07:33 PM

A similar question is what would happen if a big company issued their own token, like Bank of America or someone like that. Even if it was just a fork of another chain and nothing special beyond the brand name recognition it would probably have a huge market cap.
prometheum

Activity: 55

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 04:45:01 PM

Thats a very good question, obviously at first the price would go up. I suppose it depends on whether they are acquiring the token to dissolve it. If so then its good as gone.
Savik

Activity: 364
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 05:14:19 PM

Hi all,

Long time lurker, not long poster.

Has anyone thought of the possibility of a big (or small I guess) company such as, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Dropbox etc, coming along and they just have to have the coin/token to implement into their business or stop a rival getting hold of it etc. They want it all and they love that it's in use and well adopted.

They buy out the owners or company, maybe Sia for storage as Dropbox want it etc, where does that leave the coin/token? Do we remain stakeholders? Does the price just go up/or down depending on how well it goes in the crypto world? Do we get a share of the new business?

I guess it's where traditional shares and crypto/blockchain together.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into it, but it could happen, couldn't it??

Thanks all.

I would assume a Microsoft type company would buy the Siacoin company, not the actual Siacoins. Buying the company means they can hire/fire anyone and completely change the direction the coin is going in terms of development.

Its not the same as a stock market where a company buys another company and the shareholders get a stake in it. We are not shareholders in Siacoin, we are just consumers. It would be like Coca Cola getting bought by Amazon. Just because you have a can of Coke sitting at home doesn't mean you get a stake in the new combined Amazon/Coke company.

waynechong1995

Activity: 644
Merit: 117

swing!

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2017, 05:55:46 PM

Good question Shocked

While alts promote mostly on decentralization, i doubt those company would repurchase or dissolve the distributed coin/token. Price would definitely raise though, like real world stock exchange.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: