Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:34:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining-noob needs help  (Read 349 times)
Swoop (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 10:01:50 AM

Hi guys,

Excuse me for my english because its not my first language.
Personally I have an IT background and I'm relatively new to the whole crypto stuff. Just for the matter of my own interest, I've tried to set up GPU mining on a windows 10 PC. I used geth + ethminer with a GTX 970 graphics card. However there are still some things I don't understand about the whole mining process. So I'm hoping to find people who use ethminer and can explain me a few things. If someone knows good links to get started with mining, I would be interested too.

1. So first you download the blockchain with geth. So far so good. Is it possible to set the target location by yourself or is it predetermined to be located in the appdata folder (kind of suboptimal in my opinion)?
2. After the blockchain is downloaded, u have to run geth in the background in order to keep the blockchain updated (in sync). I still don't understand how ethminer and geth work together. I mean how does ethminer know if your blockchain is up to date and where to find it? I never had to tell the programm where I've saved my stuff.
3. How do you actually get ETH? I mean if I mine with lets say 20MH/s how long would it take to get ETH for me and how much would it be? Do I need to run the mining process non stop or is it possible to let it run for 12h a day and still get rewards? And how does ethminer know on which address it needs to deposit the ETH?

Actually I have a lot more to ask but I think that is enough for now.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 10:08:05 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=401897.msg4353159#msg4353159

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1023

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2017, 01:34:36 AM

Also you should probably just stop mining with a Nvidia card.
Chances are you'll burn down your house before turning a significant profit, even with an altcoin.
Jdope

Activity: 747
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 03:23:54 AM

Nvidia cards are really profitable actually, the new generation at least.

As for OP, mining eth does not have to be this complicated, you can download claymore's miner (you'll find a topic for it in this subforum), download Jaxx wallet or any other Ethereum wallet you would like, make yourself an address, input it in the claymore bat script and you're done. You can now mine ethereum. You don't have to download the blockchain or any of that stuff. As for profit calculations, refer to cryptocompare, or just search google for eth mining calculator, i suggest you try searching for Nemos miner too (a thread here), your gtx 970 is most probably more profitable on another coin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: