Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 12:31:04 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer D3 electrical setup help  (Read 4219 times)
davemanet

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 04:43:29 AM

You will need to run things at 220 to get the proper power out of the PSUs. These machines pull 1200w each so you will need to upgrade your electrical if you are running them at home. You are looking at 10k watts in total which is a lot of power to run in a home. Also you will need some major cooling if you are planning on keeping these in one bedroom.

Also remember its not about the number of plugs in the room its about the number  of circuits. Most houses have multiple outlets off of the same breaker so you need to plan accordingly.

I'd also be concerned about the quality of the power and also your ability to cool these devices properly.     

Honestly with that much of an investment I'd consider going with a co-location..   JUST to protect the investment.. also if the technical aspect of environmentals isn't in your wheel house it might be the best overall for up time and reliability.   

IMHO 

Do you recommend any good colocation?
jchi2210 (OP)

Activity: 442
Merit: 105

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 01:34:17 PM

Hey man, so you have a breaker dedicated to each machine? I'm assuming that's at least 20 amps per breaker right, since it's wired for 220v?   I'm also running into this issue, I have 6 D3's that'll be here in a few weeks, my outside breaker can handle 150 amps for the whole house.  I talked with an electrician and he said each machine will work with 10 amps each.  So that takes me to 60 amps for all six.  With everything turned on in the house it's just pulling 60 amps in total and now with an extra 60 that's pushing 120 and I still have 30 to work with.  I live in the mountain west and right now it's cold and snowing outside so I don't have to worry about cooling for the next 6 months.  In the summer I'll have to figure something out. 

I wonder if I can honestly run these six miners off three 220 outlets with PDUs?  thoughts?

If you have 20 amps x 220V (outlet) = you have 4,400 watts to work with but a good rule of thumb is you must only use 80% of the total wattage of that single circuit. Let's say your using the max of 1600w for 1 D3 miner: 1600W x 2 D3 miner = 3,200 watts, 80% of 4400W is 3520W. So to answer your question, (if we are basing it on 1600W max capacity) only 2 is recommended, but then again sometimes this miner won't even reach the 1600W power consumption. SO you can use 3 miners in 1 outlet/circuit (connected by PDU) AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Sorry for the late reply, you're right, I studied this for several more hours and then hired an electrician to install 6 separate 220v outlets each with 20amps.  Its overkill, but better safe than sorry.  I also paid the money to get an upgrade to 200 amps for the whole house.  I made sure they got a surge protector in there too.  My electrical costs are only .10 kWH since I live in the mountain west and most of our energy is cheap coal. 
[/quote]

Yea I ended up adding 3 30 amp breakers and running 240v. I think I can run 25 amps a piece on them safely. I have 3 PDU's 1 for each outlet. I discussed it with my uncle who is an electrician, the D3's draw 5 amps a piece. 1200 watts / 240 volts = 5 amps..if I'm doing my math right. So I should be able to safely run 5 D3's per outlet. We ran the correct wire to the outlets as well,we didn't use that small thin crap that will get hot. It is better to just go overkill.

Halo Platform is one of the fastest Blockchains I've seen yet. They have FREE transactions. 250 Millisecond Block speeds. Smart contracts, Masternodes, blockchain games, and their own high speed DEX with BTC/ETH/USDC pairs. Similar to ETH, Waves, EOS, and more yet with only $1 million mcap. This video showcases the speed and reliability of the blockchain using the DEX, Masternodes (that will soon payout in BTC and ETH), blockchain games, and more! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g74d3ixX7E8&feature=youtu.be
COINKING84

Activity: 264
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 02:59:04 PM

how much did electrical installation cost?
jchi2210 (OP)

Activity: 442
Merit: 105

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 08:35:57 PM

I just did it myself with my uncle watching for under $100 easily. I think about $65 is what it ended up costing me after everything was said and done. I'm sure an electrician will charge you $200 if not more to do it.

Halo Platform is one of the fastest Blockchains I've seen yet. They have FREE transactions. 250 Millisecond Block speeds. Smart contracts, Masternodes, blockchain games, and their own high speed DEX with BTC/ETH/USDC pairs. Similar to ETH, Waves, EOS, and more yet with only $1 million mcap. This video showcases the speed and reliability of the blockchain using the DEX, Masternodes (that will soon payout in BTC and ETH), blockchain games, and more! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g74d3ixX7E8&feature=youtu.be
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: