Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:03:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Game Server Plugin  (Read 2663 times)
Anonymous

June 26, 2011, 12:33:09 AM

Would it be possible for somebody to create a sourcemod plugin for source-based games, like Team Fortress 2 and Counter-strike; that would allow server owners to collect Bitcoin from the CPU power of its players? Does the code allow for this?
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AltPluzF4

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 01:08:26 AM

About the only hope of that would be loading a webpage on the client (similar to how the radio plugins work) that runs a javascript miner.
I'm sure this would cause people to greatly hate your server though, since it would seem as if the server is lagging terribly.

Sounds like a bad idea, but then again, I'm responsible for some pretty bad "ideas" myself (cough, fake bot avatars + ping.)
As far as a server-side plugin though, you have no real control over what clients do. Most client-side effects that are created are already programmed into the game's client and sent via "UserMessages" in a packet from the server to the client. Which, can lead to an "assumed" control over the client. For example, it's somewhat popular for evil admins to send a temp entity (effect) to a client with a garbage value to cause a crash.

Now, there is one little exploit where you could force a client to download a server plugin to be autoloaded, then the dll could run any code you want. However, I believe Valve recently patched this (since many users were using client-loaded server plugins for cheating purposes.)
Honestly, I'm a bit out of the loop though. I've not really played anything in several months (except when I grabbed Portal 2, finished it and all co-op).
I'm sure someone who knows a lot more about exploits could come up with some clever way to get a client to hash, but I believe it would be terribly ineffective.

Short answer; the code doesn't "allow" for this, but an exploit may be possible. After all, µTorrent's code doesn't "allow" for a fake upload modifier, but that doesn't stop memory injection ;-)

Good luck.
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 01:15:43 AM

As said above it's not worth it with an embedded CPU miner.
Even if you set affinity to about 5%, a dozen players would create less than 1 bitcent per day.

There's also the chance of players with weaker processors joining that will definitely notice the increased workload & their game will start lagging.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
Lech_Walesa

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

May the Force be with you!

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 01:21:32 AM

silkroad, mtgox hacked and CPU power theft on games servers - is it publicity we need  Huh

Electrongolf

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

What's Your Gig?

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2011, 01:32:30 AM

Why can't there just be a game created in which the economy is built around BTC. It would encourage the exchange of BTC which is what we need right now.

I wish there was a way to earn BTC in a game based on skill.

Anonymous

June 26, 2011, 01:33:39 AM

It isn't theft if use of your server is voluntary. ; )
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 01:35:55 AM

I don't think the more serious players would appreciate the artificially induced lag...

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
finack

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 01:45:12 AM

I don't think you could do it as a mod. Pretty sure you'd have to rebuild the game client with some additional code to do the calculations. Some simplistic games like CS wold lend themselves to the process, because at least if you set a frame cap at like 60 modern video cards will have a lot left over. The biggest hurdle would be writing the client to do the calculations in d3d or ogl in artificial ways with textures. Before CUDA and OpenCL came along people used to accomplish some amount of GPGPU calculations by finding the graphics work that happened to mimic the calculations they needed to do, but it was far from straight forward.

You could do the whole thing with CPUs much more easily, but the result would probably be pretty underwhelming (see javascript mining etc.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: