Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:33:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Centralization Will Bring Down Bitcoin  (Read 11126 times)
Chaoskampf (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

order in numbers

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 02:40:49 AM

That brings me to another point. Do you guys know of any legitimate p2p internets? I'm familiar with mesh-net among a few others, but I'm curious to to see if the community knows of/is developing any alternatives. We need to appreciate the incredible importance that this factor will to play in the upcoming months and years. I'd argue that Bitcoin's future depends SOLELY on a free and open internet. No other issue is even close to being as important to the continued success and evolution of Bitcoin as this. What do you guys think?

There is a lot of work right now being down on P2P exchanges and if you PM me, then I can make some introductions. This topic is very dear to me and vital to the long term success of Bitcoin.

First off, thank you for the work you do in spreading knowledge about Bitcoin and cryptographic currency. I've always believed that Bitcoin's greatest tool for expansion and influence in our society is education. This goes for almost anything you can think of, but for something as obscure as a cryptocurrency, we need all the help we can get in educating the lay man and women about the principles that give Bitcoin its legitimacy and strength, along with its inherent superiority over all other forms of money. I'm looking forward to hearing from you about active projects in p2p exchanges. I need some educating myself!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
acceptance2

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 05:35:45 AM

I have a better idea: Start a buttonwood in your local area.

Advertise it on Craigslist (yes, I've seen bitcoin ads on Craigslist), localbitcoins, meetups section of forum, other forum, Facebook, etc.

Show up each week and wait.

Cool

Worst case scenario, you get extra time to read books or check email.

Best case, you get a free exchange and place to trade bitcoins for cash and vice versa.

Not only cash! If you live in an interesting, diverse, and somewhat popular area, you can have people selling turnips for bitcoins, or gold/silver, or goods/services. You never know what kind of monster you can create...

+1

Grassroots. It's how national elections are won (ask Obama campaign strategists).

Using the internet to spread a message makes it doable for any campaign.

Who would ultimately benefit the most from this? The early miners/purchasers/adopters of cheap BTC. Maybe some of them would help support a bounty campaign to begin an internationally loose but semi co-ordinated Sunday afternoon coffeehouse/market/public square etc meet up. THE BITCOIN HOUR - Could be any day or any venue but at a set time. And focus OUTSIDE the US for this. Let the US gov continue doing exactly what they're doing while BTC growth outside the US eventually dwarfs the US, making their actions insignificant.

As for those interested in buying 500/1000/5000/100,000, MTGOX is available. Nothing stopping you from buying now.

Just my 2 cents.

Chaoskampf (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

order in numbers

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 11:38:36 AM

I have a better idea: Start a buttonwood in your local area.

Advertise it on Craigslist (yes, I've seen bitcoin ads on Craigslist), localbitcoins, meetups section of forum, other forum, Facebook, etc.

Show up each week and wait.

Cool

Worst case scenario, you get extra time to read books or check email.

Best case, you get a free exchange and place to trade bitcoins for cash and vice versa.

Not only cash! If you live in an interesting, diverse, and somewhat popular area, you can have people selling turnips for bitcoins, or gold/silver, or goods/services. You never know what kind of monster you can create...

+1

Grassroots. It's how national elections are won (ask Obama campaign strategists).

Using the internet to spread a message makes it doable for any campaign.

Who would ultimately benefit the most from this? The early miners/purchasers/adopters of cheap BTC. Maybe some of them would help support a bounty campaign to begin an internationally loose but semi co-ordinated Sunday afternoon coffeehouse/market/public square etc meet up. THE BITCOIN HOUR - Could be any day or any venue but at a set time. And focus OUTSIDE the US for this. Let the US gov continue doing exactly what they're doing while BTC growth outside the US eventually dwarfs the US, making their actions insignificant.

As for those interested in buying 500/1000/5000/100,000, MTGOX is available. Nothing stopping you from buying now.

Just my 2 cents.

While I agree that local exchanges are an awesome idea and should be encouraged, international Bitcoin buttonwoods would not be immune from federal regulation either. Most developed countries are all part of the same central banking system, whether you're in France, Peru, Turkey, or Israel. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_for_International_Settlements). The fact of the matter is that exchanging Bitcoin for fiat is not a welcomed activity, and if you're doing out in the open in broad daylight, you're just inviting unnecessary attention and scrutiny.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: