Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:54:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Reality Check!] MtGox Is Doing Their Best and Will Remain The #1 Exchange!  (Read 6966 times)
unbuttered_toast

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:34:24 PM

So the folks at Mt. Gox, probably not sleeping a lot, in the middle of the biggest shitstorm of their lives, trying to operate slowly enough to be cautious, put up an account reclamation page that fails to cater to your emotional needs.

I'd call this, at very worst, an exceedingly weak indication of intent to run with the cash. There's no logical connection to make here. If they were going to run, why not just placate you with a page that says "yup, you have your account back. Hang on for the next 3 days while we rustle up some more security." and then take take off?

I think your anxieties are running roughshod over your rational thought.
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:37:03 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2011, 10:43:17 PM by Bit_Happy

So you think they have more to gain by just running off with whatever amount of money they currently have and hiding from law enforcement for the rest of their lives...

1) I was, for good reason, not impressed with today's offering from them.
2) You other supporters are helping to convince my they will be up and running again, thank you.  Smiley

I keep hearing people say as if they know it to be fact that there are no more then 1 or 2 people at Mt Gox, with no other resources what so ever?...

Up until very recently, it was a commonly known fact that MtGox was a hobby-project run by only 2 people. Then they hired 1 for customer service when prices were shooting up every day.

CharlieContent

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:38:50 PM

That would be the most hilarious thing to have happened yet to BTC.

I'm sure it has crossed their mind, but you can't hide long enough from 60000 people with the level of intellect displayed here to spend the kind of money they have stashed.

The level of intellect displayed here?? 90% of the people here are idiots man. OP is a prime example.
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:40:39 PM

>The level of intellect displayed here?? 90% of the people here are idiots man. OP is a prime example.
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:43:24 PM

So the folks at Mt. Gox, probably not sleeping a lot, in the middle of the biggest shitstorm of their lives, trying to operate slowly enough to be cautious, put up an account reclamation page that fails to cater to your emotional needs.

I'd call this, at very worst, an exceedingly weak indication of intent to run with the cash. There's no logical connection to make here. If they were going to run, why not just placate you with a page that says "yup, you have your account back. Hang on for the next 3 days while we rustle up some more security." and then take take off?

I think your anxieties are running roughshod over your rational thought.

You may be correct.
Try this:

First you say how busy and over-worked they are.
The thread topic is asking "Why did they intentionally set-up a system that will keep us waiting, worrying, fighting, and debating for at least 3 more days?", and causes much more needless work for MtGox

Second, the current set-up does not increase security any more than what they already stated they are doing. It adds a delay that could drag on for a very long time.

Remember, Both you and the Bitcoin project might be better off if you ignore all MtGox threads and help build projects for the Bitcoin economy.   Cheesy

Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:47:11 PM

That would be the most hilarious thing to have happened yet to BTC.

I'm sure it has crossed their mind, but you can't hide long enough from 60000 people with the level of intellect displayed here to spend the kind of money they have stashed.

The level of intellect displayed here?? 90% of the people here are idiots man. OP is a prime example.

>The level of intellect displayed here?? 90% of the people here are idiots man. OP is a prime example.

Oh, two posts in a row with no worthwhile content, which insult my intellect, how impressive.
You're invited to display what you have in your brain:

Why did they intentionally set-up a system that will keep us waiting, worrying, fighting, and debating for at least 3 more days, and causes much more needless work for MtGox?

Dirt Rider

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:48:14 PM

+1

Yeah I laughed out loud (litterly) when I read that comment about the level of intellect displayed here.  Don't get me wrong, there are some really bright people here that often have very interesting, meaningful and insightful contributions but for most...  I see dumb people - they're everywhere - they don't even know they're dumb!!
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:50:02 PM

+1

Yeah I laughed out loud (litterly) when I read that comment about the level of intellect displayed here.  Don't get me wrong, there are some really bright people here that often have very interesting, meaningful and insightful contributions but for most...  I see dumb people - they're everywhere - they don't even know they're dumb!!

You are also invited to display what you have in your brain:

Why did they intentionally set-up a system that will keep us waiting, worrying, fighting, and debating for at least 3 more days, and causes much more needless work for MtGox?

Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:52:58 PM

Great, remember I'm a strong supporter.
Why did they intentionally set-up a system that will keep us waiting, worrying, fighting, and debating for at least 3 more days?

Because they are having a hard time setting up a system that doesn't.

Seriously, you were one of the few voices of reason on the forum, what happened. Don't go crazy on me.

The people who insult while offering nothing in return have moved in for now.
Thanks again for your nice comment, DamienBlack.  Smiley

Long Live the #1 exchange MtGox!

Dirt Rider

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:02:04 PM

If I had the same "opinion" you do, then I would try to answer this question about your opinion.  But I don't, because I like to base my opinions on known facts and common sense, as much as I can anyway.  I am not sure what your opinion is based on but it seems quite clear to me you pulled it out of your ass, that is just my opinion. 

If you can prove they are doing what you are accusing them of doing then I will will be happy to "contribute" my thoughts on the matter.
Torminalis

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:07:52 PM

Have you ever tried to rollback a database using just a transaction log? Depending on how prepared they are to do it, it could either be relatively simple or an absolutey fiendish bastard. I'll bet it is the latter.

It is not like they are there calling the shots, they are well up against it and they are probably sat there sweating and typing as fast as their fingers can go making decisions minute by minute in a marvellously frezied ad-hoc panic. Good luck to 'em, but I don't think they are going anywhere. sit tight.
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:17:37 PM

If you can prove they are doing what you are accusing them of doing then I will will be happy to "contribute" my thoughts on the matter.

The topic invites input on ideas and asks a key question. If you are not able to understand that, then please don't participate.

Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:22:39 PM

Have you ever tried to rollback a database using just a transaction log? Depending on how prepared they are to do it, it could either be relatively simple or an absolutey fiendish bastard. I'll bet it is the latter....

My question is specific and your answer, while correct, is addressing an expanded topic.
You did make a very good point though, Torminalis.

Major Edit to the main topic:
I understand why we cannot view the contents of our accounts, but they are still causing a huge amount of needless work with today's set-up.

Dirt Rider

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:24:17 PM

I understand why we cannot view the contents of our accounts, but they are still causing a huge amount of needless work with today's set-up.

Precisely how is it needless?
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:25:27 PM

Precisely how is it needless?

Clearly answered in the OP, and at these 3 other places.

Dirt Rider

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:28:38 PM

Have you ever tried to rollback a database using just a transaction log?

I would be very surprised if they are rolling back the actual database transaction logs.  I would imagine the are more likely accomplishing the rollback of the exchange by creating new transactions to effectively reverse the previous ones.  Just my guess.
Dirt Rider

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:32:59 PM

Well I guess clearly means different things to different people.  Where is the clear explanation of what they're doing and why it's needless?
Dirt Rider

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:40:17 PM

So you think they have more to gain by just running off with whatever amount of money they currently have and hiding from law enforcement for the rest of their lives...
1) I was, for good reason, not impressed with today's offering from them.
2) You other supporters are helping to convince my they will be running again, thank you.  Smiley

Just to clarify, for #2, did you mean be running away with the money (as in the thread subject) or did you mean back up and running?

Up until very recently, it was a commonly known fact that MtGox was a hobby-project run by only 2 people. Then they hired 1 for customer service when prices were shooting up every day.

Is there somewhere they publically state this?
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:41:41 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2011, 11:00:38 PM by Bit_Happy

Well I guess clearly means different things to different people.  Where is the clear explanation of what they're doing and why it's needless?

<My statements are paraphrased and accurate enough>

Before:
We were told the primary verification is based on password strength. If your password was not easily hackable, then you can use email verification and login to change your password.

Currently:
Today's offering verified the email and offered a chance to provide "more information."

1) Password strength check can be easily automated.
^^^
A key part of my initial main point

2) How are they currently checking password strength, with what was offered today?
(I don't recall entering a password today, please tell me if I'm wrong) ***

***EDIT: I admit being wrong on an important detail:
Here:
Why, are we still waiting for more verification after today's verification? that doesn't match what was supposed to happen.

Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:46:37 PM

...to clarify, for #2, did you mean be running away with the money (as in the thread subject) or did you mean back up and running?

Edited and fixed, your accurate feedback is helpful.  Smiley

Is there somewhere they publically state this?

Commonly known fact == Frequently mentioned on the forum (by many different people), and never challenged.
That is as close as I can come to actually answering your exact question.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: